Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That high is perfectly placed. If that ensemble is correct....we're not seeing a straight rain within 10 miles of the ocean, at least not without hell to pay first. I don't care where it tracks.

Yeah, the only complication is advecting in the colder air first before the storm starts....we're actually pretty mild on Friday before the storm. It could almost be the type of system where it gets colder as the event unfolds and the CAD is actively pressing southwest.

My hope is that we see the arctic high press further on future runs, so that we're already in the cold airmass before the storm even arrives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, the only complication is advecting in the colder air first before the storm starts....we're actually pretty mild on Friday before the storm. It could almost be the type of system where it gets colder as the event unfolds and the CAD is actively pressing southwest.

My hope is that we see the arctic high press further on future runs, so that we're already in the cold airmass before the storm even arrives.

We had a system like that in January 2019.

Yea, I was assuming that the air mass was in place. 

Man, if had that high on Saturday, then we'd still be digging out and the month would already be in the books as above climo snowfall.

Heh... the whole ordeal is likely in synoptic flux anway. That handling over Ontario is this Euro run is tantamount to an anticyclonic bomb taking all of cycles to go from 10 clicks over sea level to 1040 ? 

Path of lesser resistance ... it's probably indicative of no confidence in a Lakes position with the 120 hour thing. 

19 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

This is very interesting a -QBO 

The negative phase of QBO accelerates its descent. This could help the two wave action against the polar vortex. #PolarVortex #SSW #QBO

What is this based upon ? 

This tells us nothing... I see a cross-hair axis with no units and squiggly line... 

Is it modeled ...or observed - 

what is this ...

NOAA's just released/updated the 30 mb QBO and it has increased westerly phase intensity to 11.15  ... up from 10 in October.  That's ending November 30 - 

Here is the yearly trend:   

2020   -2.51   -3.20   -4.36   -5.03   -4.86   -2.78    0.34    4.78    7.95   10.80   11.15 -999.00

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Lol... ho man, you'd get a kick outta the JMA. 

...that sucker looks like 2.78" of accreted ice, then,  24" of snow on top - from overnight Saturday night through next Tuesday ... fuggin cryo-apocalypse.   

I mean, I posted two days ago that this pattern was only deceptively bad but I didn't exactly have ending the world in mind. lord

Is the JMA like ...useful ?  I really haven't ever bothered to look.

Well now,, next you'll be asking whats the ETA on the LFM...hahaha. Seriously though I'd love to know how it compares. Isn't there a site to use for that?

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

After this past weekend (even though i didn't lose power) I'm having my electrician come hook me up a 10 circuit 30 amp generator switch in anticipation of us seeing more of these types of systems going forward.

He may need to get creative in sourcing parts...we have here in CT! I've even ordered parts on the "A" site for twice the price because of impatient customers. Can't blame them 

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This tells us nothing... I see a cross-hair axis with no units and squiggly line... 

what is this ...

NOAA's just released/updated the 30 mb QBO and it has increased westerly phase intensity to 11.15  ... up from 10 in October.  That's ending November 30 - 

2020   -2.51   -3.20   -4.36   -5.03   -4.86   -2.78    0.34    4.78    7.95   10.80   11.15 -999.00

I really don't know just passed along from a twitter user. He seems to read up on the QBO a lot. https://twitter.com/Antonio80288901

40 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

what is this ...

That's one of the Singapore daily readings. Those are quite noisy from day to day. The graphic itself comes from the really nice NASA qbo page. 

https://acd-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/qbo/qbo.html

Lala land but the 18z gfs looks close to a  phased solution incoming based what I see at  hr. 246...540 isotherm in Louisiana. LP coming down out of Alberta and an open wave out of the gulf.  

Way out there but in this pattern it’s interesting to see at least.  

Edit it there is no capture...but it was fun to watch.  Maybe we will see something like that this winter.  

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, dryslot said:

After this past weekend (even though i didn't lose power) I'm having my electrician come hook me up a 10 circuit 30 amp generator switch in anticipation of us seeing more of these types of systems going forward.

If I was going to invest in a bigger generator I would have the electrician install a interlock kit..With a 30 amp transfer switch you’re limited to 7500 watts I think..Kind of defeats the bigger generator idea..Plus the interlock kit is a lot cheaper..I installed my 30 amp transfer switch(limited to 7500 watts)and wished I went the interlock kit route..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boris said:

If I was going to invest in a bigger generator I would have the electrician install a interlock kit..With a 30 amp transfer switch you’re limited to 7500 watts I think..Kind of defeats the bigger generator idea..Plus the interlock kit is a lot cheaper..I installed my 30 amp transfer switch(limited to 7500 watts)and wished I went the interlock kit route..

I sent him the link to look at, Thanks.

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Would any kind of portable be able to operate a well pump, pressure tank, water heater, furnace, etc. basically a whole house 

yup. I have a 5500/8500 watt portable genny, and it powers well, oil furnace, and most everything else except large appliances 

28 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Would any kind of portable be able to operate a well pump, pressure tank, water heater, furnace, etc. basically a whole house 

You need upwards of 7 or 8 KW genny to do those things and you’d still have to pick and choose.....if you want the whole house to run like normal you’re gonna need above 10KW i would think.....we have a small 2kw one that we use to save our refrigerator mostly but if the outage is in summer we can’t run all the window AC units.....and I have no way to power the furnace if it was in winter....if you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boris said:

I went interlock and have an 8500 watt genny

56 minutes ago, mcap77 said:

Perhaps if you lived in cne/nne you would recognize the importance of a generator...

Oh honey, I certainly do.

But that's why there's a banter thread. It's even pinned!

I would like to see what someone thinks about the 00Z GFS thinks about the next wave flattening out. One run of the Euro paints an ice storm and all of the sudden everyone is comparing the length of their extension cords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2