Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

I think you're all missing the boat on next week personally -

never seen such wanton disregard for common/ -textbook theoretic correction needs considering what's going on - but,.. I also think there some good old fashion down home pissed off bad mood controlling the "objective" perspective in here today   LOL

Yah... 'support group' in full affect -

Next week may not parlay ... and of course the "seeeee" parade ...but you'd be wrong - or, right for the wrong reason. 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

never seen such wanton disregard for common/ -textbook theoretic correction needs considering what's going on - but,.. I also think there some good old fashion down home pissed off bad mood controlling the "objective" perspective in here today   LOL

Next week may not parlay ... and of course the "seeeee" parade ...but you'd be wrong - or, right for the wrong reason. 

Pope?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Got my wife's ACE 600 in pieces trying to see why it's idling rough, stalling and not running on both cylinders. Pulled the tank and will inspect the fuel line/filter then move onto the fuel pump. Plugs look good. No hurry to get it fixed, but surprisingly some of our local trails are actually pretty decent right now.

That's what my wife and son have.  I may actually take tomorrow off and trailer south to the big snows and where some grooming has happened the last few days

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't see any overwhelming signal amongst the various ensemble clusters....but anytime you have high latitude blocking, things need to be watched.

• Like 1

Delayed not denied perfectly explained by Isotherm.

He too believes our chances will likely wait until early January. Initial block is too south but eventually adjusts to a favorable position while the pacific improves in tandem. 

Looks like PV takes a significant hit in early Jan too. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a major snow event in the Jan 1-10th period for coastal regions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Tip are  you this week's Pope?  At least you'll stay in the thread...

• Haha 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Delayed not denied perfectly explained by Isotherm.

He too believes our chances will likely wait until early January. Initial block is too south but eventually adjusts to a favorable position while the pacific improves in tandem. 

Def. Agree with the block initially being south of optimal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I just mean I'm not sold that this high latitude blocking doesn't have an end point. Doesn't have to mean a record +AO because I agree that is not happening again this year.

The blocking gets pretty extreme one some of the guidance later next week and into early January....that probably has at least some staying power. (fwiw....and I know it's not much....but the weeklies keep the -NAO blocking right through late January...finally breaking it down at the end of the month)

We'll see though....sure beats having a death vortex over Greenland/Davis Strait

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The blocking gets pretty extreme one some of the guidance later next week and into early January....that probably has at least some staying power. (fwiw....and I know it's not much....but the weeklies keep the -NAO blocking right through late January...finally breaking it down at the end of the month)

We'll see though....sure beats having a death vortex over Greenland/Davis Strait

If there is ever a time to have blocking with a marginal/stale airmass...it’s Jan. 

Something could break right and if it does, congrats @Ginx snewx for 10/11 type call. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

With our luck that extreme blocking will probably lead to whiffs when our opportunity opens up, lol.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Was surprise at your position on the table. maybe we should have a rainfall table instead.

The sig tells the tale.  Even Sunday night's little event was even littler, with its 0.8" in the "Small events" basket.  Your 3 snows totaling 23.5" were 8.7" here.  Missed the good bands for the 2 biggies - Dec 5th was elevational this far north, 11.5" at 1220' in Temple, 18" at 1300' in Carrabassett Valley. 

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I could see it lasting deep into January, but I'd be stunned if were not vanquished entirely by February.

33 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

SNE, specifically ESNE has been hit with the proverbial rabbits foot since 2000. Let’s not let one crappy winter and one avg winter cloud the perspective. 

I hate to break this to you, Luke, but E NE will always be more prone to high end events than you are....that's climo when you stick out into the ocean. To that end, NE MA doesn't have as much regression due as se MA....not by a long shot. I think I am like high 60s over the past 30...which is like 6" above avg.

We Walt

37 minutes ago, wdrag said:

12Z/22 EPS and GEFS for you to decide.  Just so you know the NAEFS continues colder and suggests a light to moderate snowfall for I84.  I don't have time for all the graphics but here's the difference between the 12z/22 EPS and GEFS.  Your call and you are welcome to professionally critique here any possible flaw-bias in my thinking.  Right now, all options are on the board. I am doubtful of a big windup low in the Great Lakes on the 28th. Instead a weaker low,  near L Erie with redevelopment s of LI, then a merger into a deepening low near the New England Coast on the afternoon of the 29th. If I am wrong, it will have been over reliance on the NAEFS 52 member ensemble vs the generally more highly regarded EPS , vs the sometimes maligned GEFS.  I'd like another 00z/23 cycle to show me that I've incorrectly relied upon a GGEM-GFS ensemble blend.  Blocking i realize is good but not ideal.  Again, you decide what is best in your own mind. 

Screen_Shot_2020-12-22_at_3_43.59_PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 3.45.57 PM.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hate to break this to you, Luke, but E NE will always be more prone to high end events than you are....that's climo when you stick out into the ocean. To that end, NE MA doesn't have as much regression due as se ME....not by a long shot. I think I an like high 60s over the past 30...which is like 6" above avg.

Right but let’s not act like “with our luck this will miss.” That’s like being a Boston sports fan and saying, “with our luck...we’ll lose.” Stop the whining. In general, our region has done very well in winters this century, really. To say otherwise is having a short sighted ‘woah cry for me’ mentality.

Peeps are spoiled. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Right but let’s not act like “with our luck this will miss.” That’s like being a Boston sports fan and saying, “with our luck...we’ll lose.” Stop the whining. In general, our region has done very well in winters this century, really. To say otherwise is having a short sighted ‘woah cry for me’ mentality.

Peeps are spoiled. 

Everyone is always looking for the next one. If you find that nauseating, then this probably isn't the place for you lol

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And I don’t mean to pick on 78blizz, I’m not. But when I hear NewEng peeps esp those who got the historic 15 season thinking they are ‘unlucky’ with snow...it’s a bit nauseating. 

We (especially in my area) are due to regress. I don’t know exactly how it will happen, but the last two seasons have done just that. Actually 18-19 was close to avg here or a few inches better thanks to the March bomb. Last year was the first real terrible snow season since 11-12.