• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Enera
    Newest Member
    Enera

November Banter 2020

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

As a Steelers fan, think it has more to do with how you practice during the week expecting a Thursday game, now they have to practice more/are off schedule. It also definitely sucks to be “punished” when others fail to follow restrictions, which it seems like the Ravens did. That said... definitely happy with the season so far! Little to complain about.

I get it but had the game been played today the Ravens would have had zero practice time on a short week, and been without 5 starters. Also the source of the outbreaks has been identified, and it was a strength coach. Not good, but it's not like one or more of the players were not complying.

• Like 2

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

As a Steelers fan, think it has more to do with how you practice during the week expecting a Thursday game, now they have to practice more/are off schedule. It also definitely sucks to be “punished” when others fail to follow restrictions, which it seems like the Ravens did. That said... definitely happy with the season so far! Little to complain about.

Holy smokes another Steelers fan in here.  I agree on your points as well with Cape.  Steelers were forced to an early bye week because of the Titans and now the Ravens situation has cut another extended break with the game moved to Sunday.  Hard to complain about much but it would not have been a competitive game tonight with the amount of players/coaches out.  They should have moved the Packers/Niners game earlier this year as well. 

• Like 1

In 2008 the Ravens had their bye week moved to week 2. They then had to play 18 weeks in a row before playing the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. I didn't see any Ravens players crying like little babies like the Steelers players are. 

Maybe if they all had Twitter accounts back in 2008 they would’ve been, haha. Steelers also have already faced this issue with the Titans earlier this year and had their bye pushed to week 4, which is better than week 2, I’ll admit.

I guess the worst thing is there is no prime time game on Thanksgiving. You know how much that hurts the NFL where it counts too. That's why I had my doubts that they would postpone it.

22 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Maybe if they all had Twitter accounts back in 2008 they would’ve been, haha. Steelers also have already faced this issue with the Titans earlier this year and had their bye pushed to week 4, which is better than week 2, I’ll admit.

Lol, probably true. 

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

I used to work at an engine remanufacturing plant. We built a bunch of the 3.8L v6 engines. Quite a few of the 4.1L too. The latter had a huge bore- reminded me of the 400 small block. Not much meat between the inner cylinder walls and the water jacket. On the 400 the outside of the cyl walls were joined. The 252 v6 may have been that way too. Cracked cylinders were common on both.

Can relate to the 400.  One of my best friends in HS had a Firebird with the 400 small block.  Warped heads were an issue too.  The larger bore took away stiffness in the block and made for smaller water jackets.  All meant meant too much heat.  Think he and his dad replaced the heads a couple of times.  They even put in a new short block too before Ohio winters and GM shoddy corrosion techniques of the time prompted the onset of cancer. 

Believe the 400 was the same block used on the 305, 327 and 350, which were all great engines.  Think the difference between the 350 and the 400 in the Firebird of the late 70's was only about 10 hp.  Hardly worth it.  Across the board, the era from 72 to the early 80's is forgettable wrt performance from the big 3 domestic manufacturers.  Of course, as losetoa6 can attest, the 3.8L turbo in the GNX really helped amp up the performance factor again, at least for GM.      

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RDM said:

Can relate to the 400.  One of my best friends in HS had a Firebird with the 400 small block.  Warped heads were an issue too.  The larger bore took away stiffness in the block and made for smaller water jackets.  All meant meant too much heat.  Think he and his dad replaced the heads a couple of times.  They even put in a new short block too before Ohio winters and GM shoddy corrosion techniques of the time prompted the onset of cancer. 

Believe the 400 was the same block used on the 305, 327 and 350, which were all great engines.  Think the difference between the 350 and the 400 in the Firebird of the late 70's was only about 10 hp.  Hardly worth it.  Across the board, the era from 72 to the early 80's is forgettable wrt performance from the big 3 domestic manufacturers.  Of course, as losetoa6 can attest, the 3.8L turbo in the GNX really helped amp up the performance factor again, at least for GM.      

Yep all the same block. That 4.125" bore on the 400 was really too big for that block. It was a terrible idea with the limited ability to remove the heat. We bored everything .040 over, or 60. or even 80 if necessary. We used to bore the 307 blocks (3.785" bore) to 4" to make a 350 lol. No one wanted a 307.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yep all the same block. That 4.125" bore on the 400 was really too big for that block. We bored everything .040 over, or 60. or even 80 if necessary. We used to bore the 307 blocks (3.785" bore) to 4" to make a 350 lol. No one wanted a 307.

Had a 84 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 307 w/carb. It was ok off the line but a week mid range and top end . My 84 cougar with a FI 302 destroyed that 307 top end .

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Had a 84 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 307 carb. It was ok off the line but a week mid range and top end . My 84 cougar with a FI 302 destroyed that 307 top end .

Yeah it was the worst of the SB chevy engines for performance. Relatively small bore/long stroke. The 283 was a rev machine with the 3" stroke. The 327 was my fav with a 4" bore and 3.25" stroke. Could easily get 350 hp out of it with the right cam and the big valve heads.

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah it was the worst of the SB chevy engines for performance. Relatively small bore/long stroke. The 283 was a rev machine with the 3" stroke. The 327 was my fav with a 4" bore and 3.25" stroke. Could easily get 350 hp out of it with the right cam and the big valve heads.

Interesting tidbit...  My 62 Gravely walk behind mower uses the same piston, Delco starter and oil filter as a small block Chevy.  They are OEM components not something that just happens to fit.    

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for all the weather knowledge that is shared here--I always learn something new every year! Also thankful to have an echo chamber for snow weeniness...for we are a peculiar breed, lol Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone!

• Like 3

On 11/24/2020 at 8:38 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

OK, somehow that looks like a meal bizarro-world @Mrs.J might concoct (or she'd have to be high on acid)!!

(with all due respect, Mrs. J, all in humor here!) :lol:

Why the hell are there chicken di*&S on that plate! I would use better sausage than that :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Hello. Random drive by note...Ted Lasso is an amazing show. 

It’s really fun. We enjoyed it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yoda said:

Who is this football team playing right now?

Must be a tryptophan dream seeing Washington leading 34-16 late 

ETA: Now 41-16 after a interception return for a TD lol

Lamar Jackson tested positive for covid

2020 strikes again

makes sense, that was the online conspiracy theory as to why the NFL would postpone a prime time Thanksgiving game.

Here’s to hoping they actually play.

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Why the hell are there chicken di*&S on that plate! I would use better sausage than that :D

Glad you stopped by and put these people right!  Whew!  Be glad you missed some of the things shown there earlier, including the infamous Vienna sausages and Spaghetti-Ohs!

And I'm sure you appreciate only the best sausage, eh?  (apologies...sort of!...on the double-entendre there, seems RR took control of the keyboard!) :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

Hope everyone had a good day. Mr.J does not care for Turkey and we have not celebrated a traditional Thanksgiving day in years. So this year we had shrimp and grits. 

75A1A355-F4B0-4FBD-A0CD-6DF83FA7579E.jpeg

That looks awesome!  I almost feel hungry again and I ate not too long ago!

And a "traditional Thanksgiving" is what you make of it, really, that's all that should matter.  I hope you all had a good one!!!

• Like 2

Gotta love Dallas doing dumb things. That 4th down in the first half and that fake punt. But that tackle by McLaurin to save a TD was the game changer

• Like 2

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and has a wonderful holiday season. It wasn’t as crowded as usual but we enjoyed it all the same.  The kids got to join us at the big table this year!
 r6Gu6kt.jpg

8om9zLn.jpgqMs9ipA.jpg
TYBKEER.jpg

• Like 14