Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 29-30 snow threat

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Lol ... btw... I didn't write the title of this thread - it was done so on my behalf ...it's all good - 

but, for the record, I do not believe the October thing is really true - ... not until we have a bigger sample size.   Fact of the matter is, the orbital perspective is both favorable and hostile to winter odds. 

Since 2000... we have been in an era - in general - that favors earlier cool snap... Packing pellet, virga -exploded CAA cumulous and/or outright snow supporting synoptic air masses have become far more commonplace than prior to then...  Yet, in this time span, we have had both good winters and bad winters - I think that is the take away?  It's really noise - but ...hm, we are human :)  we can remember 2011 probably more clearly do to the acute irony lol

You're welcome to change it, since you are now technically the thread starter.  Ray initially started it, but when I merged the previous posts, whomever's posts was first chronologically in other thread, makes them the 1st post in the thread.

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

agree, I was going to ask if it's statistically proven or not. 

The whole premise supposedly is that winter following the Oct snow myth, is basically mild and less snowy. But some years just had bad luck. 2009 was the Mid Atlantic winter. 2003 was also the PV winter where NYC had more siggy snows. So are we saying October snow results in both suppression, and warm winters? :lol:   It makes no sense, and when you sample a place like ORH which has had more October snows compared to BOS...there isn't a correlation as far as I am aware of. ORH had lots of October snows in the 60s. I'd say those were decent winters. 2008 had October snow in NJ. We just had trace amounts (maybe a little more in CT?)..so just missed having that as a checkmark for October snow and getting a good winter to follow. 

7 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Yeah...I don't believe so?   But Will/others are at mastery of this/that I bet they've got some insights...  

I'm just basing it anecdotally and existential which of course carries a modicum of assurance risk - hahaha

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You're welcome to change it, since you are now technically the thread starter.  Ray initially started it, but when I merged the previous posts, whomever's posts was first chronologically in other thread, makes them the 1st post in the thread.

Oh just leave it... it's funny - 

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

May work for his area but not for mine.  Farmington co-op has recorded measurable in Oct on 1/4 of their years - 32 of 128 - and totals for those snow seasons average 101% of normal, no real signal.  For 1"+ Octobers (n=27) it's the same and for the 8 Octobers with 4"+ it's 103%.  In my NNJ years only 1962 had measurable October snow.  62-63 was poor in NYC (16") but inland areas had 30-40% AN - the 4 locations closest to my old home had 46-60" compared to norms of 35-42.  Take your pick... 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just to stir the weenies...  

Aside from the fact ... and obvious, how does a geographical area tantamount to a pin prick on the fabric of space-time scale statistically guide the Universe -

LI ??? really - it's meaninglessly tiny ...  wtf - I mean just don't. Stirring or not, one just abases themself -

But also, lucky for him  ...the models don't have much snow on LI.. In fact, given the narrow corridor in which this whole thing mechanically plays out...it could snow 9" in S Vt. ...2" at Tolland, and 0 on LI and still be within a fair framework of being successfully forecast - so he's safe.   I don't see a lot of "blue" QPF down there anyway .. a little, but that's white rain even in the Para G where that is.  

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

May work for his area but not for mine.  Farmington co-op has recorded measurable in Oct on 1/4 of their years - 32 of 128 - and totals for those snow seasons average 101% of normal, no real signal.  For 1"+ Octobers (n=27) it's the same and for the 8 Octobers with 4"+ it's 103%.  In my NNJ years only 1962 had measurable October snow.  62-63 was poor in NYC (16") but inland areas had 30-40% AN - the 4 locations closest to my old home had 46-60" compared to norms of 35-42.  Take your pick... 

It doesn't work his area. When theres snow in NYC in October they average 30"

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Measurable ORH October snowfall and the subsequent winter total

image.png.b943e569598ae3cd492ec8d35aa7ebf2.png

heh... like we're saying, it looks noisy - there may be some super structure there ... check back in with us in 100 year's worth of substantiated data - but by then we won't exist because of Climate change so what's the point... lol

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

heh... like we're saying, it looks noisy - there may be some super structure there ... check back in with us in 100 year's worth of substantiated data - but by then we won't exist because of Climate change so what's the point... lol

Just like winter snow climo sans October snow. :lol:

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Tam'

..it doesn't 'really' work anywhere - hahaha

Speaking of blowing out the mice from the snowblower lol. Went out tried to start it. Found mice nested under the priming tube. Ate through the tube and had a big nest. I was able to replace the tube and fired it up for testing and just running. I had run it in August so they just built it. Little bastards

40 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

yeah no ...recently posting demo's the consensus on this...  Just personal experience says no and the data at 1,000 K high, pure Earth ORH ( meaning not weirdly polluted by favoring either way...) shows the noise of it - see Will's post. 

12z GFS looks a little more phased at hr 96 compared to hr 102 of the 6z run. The lead weaker s/w from Zeta zips out quick, but a piece of energy diving in at that time tries to phase with the bowling ball that is moving up from the south. I'd like to see that really blow up the low as it exits stage right. I believe it's the better chance for snow in SNE. 

• Like 2

Just now, dryslot said:

Right now, I would favor CNE for siggy snow from this, Its a thread the needle system that's going to require a few things to go right for places further north or south.

Yeah agreed. Although, given all the circumstances with this including a tropical...that certainly could change one way or another.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12z GFS looks a little more phased at hr 96 compared to hr 102 of the 6z run. The lead weaker s/w from Zeta zips out quick, but a piece of energy diving in at that time tries to phase with the bowling ball that is moving up from the south. I'd like to see that really blow up the low as it exits stage right. I believe it's the better chance for snow in SNE. 

Look at how cold the GFS is in the latter part of the storm. That's like -5C at 900mb.

Oct26_12zGFS96soundingORH.gif

• Like 1