Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

Just now, Sn0waddict said:

ES reporting system going down again is a big issue which needs to be addressed. Besides that power is just getting restored now because cleanups took a day to complete. Significant progress can and hopefully will be made the next few days, but anyone expecting a one to two days turnaround on a storm that knocks power out to half a million people is out of there mind. 

People want better infrastructure and utilities are incentivized to do so, but that comes at a cost to ratepayers which no one wants to pay. So therefore the utilities are limited with what they can do, and this is what you get.  You then hear “bury the lines!” But no one understands how ridiculously expensive and time consuming that would be .

But the fact that it doesn't even appear 50K have been restored is concerning...especially when NJ alone looks to have restored nearly 800,000. Hell, I even think LI has made decent progress. Now..sure there are other factors to consider...we have tons of trees and wooded areas so maybe there are grids that need to be replaced but the fact that anytime something major happens we seem to be behind surrounding states...and significantly...that's a problem. 

I've seen more DPW crews on the roads than I have utility workers.

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Eversource should be called out...they are nothing but money seeking frauds. They're already being investigated for the debacle about the significant increase in people's bills last month. There are people who opened their bills only to find it HUNDREDS of dollars higher than previous months...HUNDREDS. A friend of mine knows someone who's bill is usually around $200/month (they have a heated pool and hot tub)...their bill last month was $600. POS money scamming dirtbags 

My bill was $335 this past month which is double than what a typical July is. I filed a compliant. But I’m more concerned about restoring power and doesn’t look like it’s happening today. Not much info on their site besides they are ‘evaluating’.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

My bill was $335 this past month which is double than what a typical July is. I filed a compliant. But I’m more concerned about restoring power and doesn’t look like it’s happening today. Not much info on their site besides they are ‘evaluating’.

It's just outrageous. I'm serious too...I saw zero utility crews out today...not a single one. I saw plenty of DPW workers though...removing debris out of streets, getting trees/limbs from side of roads. Good job on filing the complaint...I hope they get nailed. I couldn't imagine getting a bill that was that much higher...I bet there were some people who probably nearly had heart attacks. 

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's just outrageous. I'm serious too...I saw zero utility crews out today...not a single one. I saw plenty of DPW workers though...removing debris out of streets, getting trees/limbs from side of roads. Good job on filing the complaint...I hope they get nailed. I couldn't imagine getting a bill that was that much higher...I bet there were some people who probably nearly had heart attacks. 

I didn’t see any trucks this morning between the Bury’s and WeHa. They were probably out but with the amount of outages...I was expecting to see crews everywhere. I’m curious now WTH is going on internally there. 

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Eversource should be called out...they are nothing but money seeking frauds. They're already being investigated for the debacle about the significant increase in people's bills last month. There are people who opened their bills only to find it HUNDREDS of dollars higher than previous months...HUNDREDS. A friend of mine knows someone who's bill is usually around $200/month (they have a heated pool and hot tub)...their bill last month was $600. POS money scamming dirtbags 

Well I know one part of why the rates increased which is as follows:  

The state (Lamont administration) has an aggressive carbon emission goal, and the states only nuclear plant (which is considered clean energy) Millstone which provides power to 50% of the state population was threatening to close as they stated that they were at risk to cease operations because of low market prices.  Long story short Lamont offered them a new 10 year contract and required the state utilities to buy half of millstones power output through a power purchase agreement that was rather costly.  Also there were tons of questions as to whether Dominion (who owns millstone) was even in financial trouble, they were reluctant to hand over the books and PURA said they were viable through at least 2022

Anyways not sure what else is going on with ES but this certainly is a driver, though it should be no means increase a bill by hundred(a) of dollars lol. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I didn’t see any trucks this morning between the Bury’s and WeHa. They were probably out but with the amount of outages...I was expecting to see crews everywhere. I’m curious now WTH is going on internally there. 

I bet they just didn't properly prepare for this...either once again disregarded forecasts or were fed just wrong information. 

28 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Well I know one part of why the rates increased which is as follows:  

The state (Lamont administration) has an aggressive carbon emission goal, and the states only nuclear plant (which is considered clean energy) Millstone which provides power to 50% of the state population was threatening to close as they stated that they were at risk to cease operations because of low market prices.  Long story short Lamont offered them a new 10 year contract and required the state utilities to buy half of millstones power output through a power purchase agreement that was rather costly.  Also there were tons of questions as to whether Dominion (who owns millstone) was even in financial trouble, they were reluctant to hand over the books and PURA said they were viable through at least 2022

Anyways not sure what else is going on with ES but this certainly is a driver, though it should be no means increase a bill by hundred(a) of dollars lol. 

Great info, thanks!

7 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

There was an expectation of a lot of rain and very little wind not too long ago

Days out it was becoming obvious wind was going to be a significant issue here in CT. Anyone who had the expectation rain would be greater than wind here in CT clearly;

1) Were misinformed but whichever source they receive their weather information from 

2) Just did not understand this setup or the processes which would result in widespread wind damage 

I know at least Ryan days before started sounding the alarm on the wind potential. Even before it looked that bad...it was still looking like gusts 30-50 mph...ok yes...sure we get that every year but not during early August when trees are fully leaved. It's the same notion that occurred during the October snowstorm...people downplaying it saying "we get several inches of heavy, wet snow every winter and it doesn't do damage"...only but how often when trees are fully leaved? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

At the gov's presser today he was bewildered as to why Eversource did not pre-position crews, so my guess is the crews just weren't distributed throughout the state until late today, and they may still be trying to work their way into the harder hit areas. It's the same story with every widespread outage. They always say they will learn lessons from things like Sandy or the October snowstorm which was almost a decade ago already, but they never seem to. They've got the pushing rate increases through PURA down pat though. They're awesome at jacking up the delivery charges, just not so great at the delivery part.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Even DIT threw in the hat claiming "it's over" only like 48 hours before hand.  He should've stuck to his guns and gone full damage regardless of what the models say.

If you go back. I said the rain was over. Folks were saying this would be huge rain/ flood event . I  was on the wind train since I believe Saturday morning when I was lecturing Tip style not to spike the ball on this going OTS and not to rule out big wind event. There was decent ensemble ideas of a west move and an ET transition 

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Yeah, since about Sunday.

I can almost promise that internally they were made aware of the potential that existed and were given enough guidance to be prepared for the worst. When NJ restores nearly 800K within a day and we can barely restore 50K...that's an issue. Even on Long Island they restored quite a bit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

At the gov's presser today he was bewildered as to why Eversource did not pre-position crews, so my guess is the crews just weren't distributed throughout the state until late today, and they may still be trying to work their way into the harder hit areas. It's the same story with every widespread outage. They always say they will learn lessons from things like Sandy or the October snowstorm which was almost a decade ago already, but they never seem to. They've got the pushing rate increases through PURA down pat though. They're awesome at jacking up the delivery charges, just not so great at the delivery part.

They can’t get out until the trees are removed from the wires. That’s the issue. The amount of trees still on wires and roads closed tells you all you  need to know. Gonna be a long one 

5 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Pre-position crew’s for 650,000 customers out? Unless they hired and trained 5000 employees last Friday how’s that even possible.

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

That’s what I’m thinking...reactive instead of proactive. Easy to push cost increases with a keyboard stroke though. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I can almost promise that internally they were made aware of the potential that existed and were given enough guidance to be prepared for the worst. When NJ restores nearly 800K within a day and we can barely restore 50K...that's an issue. Even on Long Island they restored quite a bit. 

UI already restored 40k today. Where is the 50k number from?

Just now, hammerz_nailz said:

Pre-position crew’s for 650,000 customers out? Unless they hired and trained 5000 employees last Friday how’s that even possible.

From the press conference today it sounded like they just dropped the ball. Eversource said they didn't even really have an accurate forecast because as of Friday when they started preparing the storm was forecast to "go up the west coast of Florida."

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They can’t get out until the trees are removed from the wires. That’s the issue. The amount of trees still on wires and roads closed tells you all you  need to know. Gonna be a long one 

That was the problem in my neighborhood. Large branch sat on wires all night and didn't get cleared until this morning, so my power wasn't back until 4 (19 hours down).

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

From the press conference today it sounded like they just dropped the ball. Eversource said they didn't even really have an accurate forecast because as of Friday when they started preparing the storm was forecast to "go up the west coast of Florida."

Our daycare closed at 3pm yesterday during the height of the winds and when we lost power lol. So that just shows you that even if we think this was forecasted well...you don’t know where organizations are getting their forecasts from and even then, you still have to have upper management of various divisions in synch with it. You can get a good forecast but still drop the ball internally.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

UI already restored 40k today. Where is the 50k number from?

I might not have refreshed the page but from what I'm now seeing there are 679,407 without power. When I had made the post it was just under 700K...but I might not have refreshed. Anyways...I don't know the exact number at peak but thought it was around 730K? Anyways when you look at what NY and NJ have been able to do that's pathetic...and this isn't the first time something like this happened either. I forget which one of Oct Snow/Sandy/Irene but the difference between power restoration along the CT/MA border was laughable. But anyways...NJ was hit way harder than CT...they had 1.3 or 1.4 million without power I think...outages are down to 688K

We got power restored this afternoon.  IIRC that was the longest we had gone without power since the 2008 ice storm.  So not a huge deal.  By chance my fridge was pretty empty so I didn’t lose much. 

I really didn’t see much damage in person driving around today.  A few small branches.  The remnants of a huge thick old mostly dead tree that had been cut up. 

6 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

I think that's B.S. CL&P tried to do the same thing after the October 2011 snowstorm...saying they were given incorrect forecast...they were heavily exposed. They were given warning about what was to happen and were told to start bringing in crews from out of state days before...they elected not to. 

I don't buy for a second they were given the wrong forecast. I mean the freaking cone of uncertainty changed very little from several days out. There was a freaking TS forecast to come up the coast...WTF did people think were going to happen? I would bet anything they were given forecasts indicating how bad winds would be and also given recommendations of what to do. If there is someone or people who can't comprehend what a few hour period of 50-60 mph wind gusts with sustained probably 20-30 would do...then they should not be in the position of making decisions. All you have to do is look at what seconds of 50-60 mph winds do during thunderstorms...if it doesn't click what hours of that would do then those individuals need to be doing something else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I might not have refreshed the page but from what I'm now seeing there are 679,407 without power. When I had made the post it was just under 700K...but I might not have refreshed. Anyways...I don't know the exact number at peak but thought it was around 730K? Anyways when you look at what NY and NJ have been able to do that's pathetic...and this isn't the first time something like this happened either. I forget which one of Oct Snow/Sandy/Irene but the difference between power restoration along the CT/MA border was laughable. But anyways...NJ was hit way harder than CT...they had 1.3 or 1.4 million without power I think...outages are down to 688K

Where are you seeing these numbers by chance? Just curious. Particularly the NJ numbers, that’s impressive if they have made that much progress already.

1 minute ago, Sn0waddict said:

Where are you seeing these numbers by chance? Just curious. Particularly the NJ numbers, that’s impressive if they have made that much progress already.

I actually came across this website today 

poweroutage.us 

Gives a national overview of power outages and if you click on each state you can also get a break down of the percent of customers within each county out. 

For example, this is what it is currently showing for NJ

image.thumb.png.c7f73b037a9192d427dbbf26a39bba28.png