• Member Statistics

    16,256
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    TuggHillRosato
    Newest Member
    TuggHillRosato
    Joined
Skivt2

The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Recommended Posts

Will VT allow folks from other states to even buy lift tickets? That's really the only way I could see them having any control of out of state skiers if they want to enforce it. I agree ski areas will be open, certainly in NH where I see no way a former ski resort owner is current governor. NH was also the last to shut down last winter. Live Free or Die, lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkO said:

Will VT allow folks from other states to even buy lift tickets? That's really the only way I could see them having any control of out of state skiers if they want to enforce it. I agree ski areas will be open, certainly in NH where I see no way a former ski resort owner is current governor. NH was also the last to shut down last winter. Live Free or Die, lol

 

 

Non-Vermonters are allowed into VT if they quarantine.  same as other states.  Currently if you live in CT you can go to NY or NJ and return to CT without quarantine.  If you go to/return to CT from anywhere else you have to quarantine in CT for 2 weeks.  So anyone from CT wanting to ski without a quarantine should be go to NY.  But if you quarantine and the mountain is open you can ski anywhere.  How can they refuse you to use your season pass if you are in their state legally after a quarantine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Skivt2 said:

Non-Vermonters are allowed into VT if they quarantine.  same as other states.  Currently if you live in CT you can go to NY or NJ and return to CT without quarantine.  If you go to/return to CT from anywhere else you have to quarantine in CT for 2 weeks.  So anyone from CT wanting to ski without a quarantine should be go to NY.  But if you quarantine and the mountain is open you can ski anywhere.  How can they refuse you to use your season pass if you are in their state legally after a quarantine?

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an Epic passholder, I will abide by the VT restrictions - my intention was to ski the VT areas Mon-Thurs when volumes were low on a day trip from metrowest boston basis. But I hate rules and laws that are just made to broken and this is an example, it provides a rationalization for breaking other laws and rules IMO. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  
 

True, but it also isn’t going to be hard to pick out license plates in a parking lot.

This is a little bit different than the summer I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be going skiing in NH this year , as usual 

Could care less what state license plates I  see in parking lot , I’m not hugging folks on the trails And I would believe nobody is skiing with a fever and even if they did ,  i won’t  be around them either way . 

Hope I see every state represented in parking lot over the season and lots of folks can enjoy it . Most could use the exercise and fresh air .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  
 

I don’t know that to be the case.  Im sure some will flout the rules as with anything else but I’m planning on following the quarantine guidelines as is my family coming from nys.  I’ll stay in vt for weeks or months at a time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  
 

That’s completely unfair to judge that.  I am currently on day 15 quarantining waiting for word of Killington opening.  I have an apartment in VT.  I will leave VT on  11/30 and return 12/14 fully quarantined once again. In fact I must quarantine according to the state of CT since VT is now on the CT list where CT residents must quarantine  upon returning  from VT since it is now a hot spot.  We Get everything delivered.  I have not been in a grocery store since early March.  Just sunday our microwave broke.  We did not drive to Walmart to get a new one.  Nope.  The new one will be delivered via UPS tomorrow. I work from home and my husband is also working from home.  We have no kids. The last time we left our property was 11/3 to vote. We wore N-95 masks when we voted.  We plan to stay in Vermont until at least 1/25. And I hope to ski every day at least a few runs at lunch.  I live trail side in Vermont so parking reservations are a non-event for me. I know I am not the only one.

We have basically reduced every unnecessary (to us) risk to zero.  But we spend the summer fishing and gong to the beach on cape cod and we will spend the winter skiing in VT.  F the virus. I’m not getting it and I’m not stopping doing what I love just because of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MarkO said:

Will VT allow folks from other states to even buy lift tickets? That's really the only way I could see them having any control of out of state skiers if they want to enforce it. I agree ski areas will be open, certainly in NH where I see no way a former ski resort owner is current governor. NH was also the last to shut down last winter. Live Free or Die, lol

 

 

I think it can get pretty blurry pretty fast who lives where.  A lot of people, myself included, have all the required documentation to prove VT residency to DMV.  This whole thing could become cat vs mouse pretty quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

I think it can get pretty blurry pretty fast who lives where.  A lot of people, myself included, have all the required documentation to prove VT residency to DMV.  This whole thing could become cat vs mouse pretty quickly.

If anyone in VT will try to enforce these regs and ask you for documentation/harass people with out of state plates it will be those county mounties that camp out around Plymouth. I am always driving at or below speed limit that whole stretch up to K/Pico. I was going 2-3 mph under one day and was pulled over. Cop never said why he stopped me, ran all my info, gave it all back to me and just walked away without saying anything. I still have no idea why I was stopped. 

https://www.vpr.org/post/welcome-plymouth-home-vermonts-most-lucrative-speed-enforcement#stream/0

 

edit: K has the North Ridge Quad running this morning. Going to be close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is little chance many of the out of state season pass holders are going to honor the VT quarantine rules.  
 

The quarantine rules may change as the winter goes on.  Vaxx will become available at some point as well....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

If anyone in VT will try to enforce these regs and ask you for documentation/harass people with out of state plates it will be those county mounties that camp out around Plymouth. I am always driving at or below speed limit that whole stretch up to K/Pico. I was going 2-3 mph under one day and was pulled over. Cop never said why he stopped me, ran all my info, gave it all back to me and just walked away without saying anything. I still have no idea why I was stopped. 

https://www.vpr.org/post/welcome-plymouth-home-vermonts-most-lucrative-speed-enforcement#stream/0

 

edit: K has the North Ridge Quad running this morning. Going to be close.

Ha several people at Stowe that also go to Okemo for regional work have been stopped there for barely going over 30mph.  There was even an email last year warning people traveling for business to Okemo on RT 100 that you will be stopped in Plymouth for next to nothing so be on your game.

They average almost 7 traffic tickets a day in a town with 600 people in it... it’s a pure bilking of ski resort visitors.

  • Population: 619
  • Tickets issued: 2,352+
  • Total issued in traffic ticket fines: $415,620+
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radarman said:

West Bridgewater isn't much better if coming in from the other way.  There isn't a skiing Masshole alive who can't attest.  

 

Ha! confirm. 42 in a 35 about 4 years ago. He was about 200' after the transition from 50 to 35mph. Looked just like Rod Farva but in his late 50s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, winter sure is struggling to get going...no natural snow, and borderline snow making Temps coming up. Last year at this time, Bretton Woods had natural coverage,and snow making coverage and they were getting ready to fire up the Gondola 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha several people at Stowe that also go to Okemo for regional work have been stopped there for barely going over 30mph.  There was even an email last year warning people traveling for business to Okemo on RT 100 that you will be stopped in Plymouth for next to nothing so be on your game.

They average almost 7 traffic tickets a day in a town with 600 people in it... it’s a pure bilking of ski resort visitors.

  • Population: 619
  • Tickets issued: 2,352+
  • Total issued in traffic ticket fines: $415,620+

Ha. We go through there twice a weekend 8 months a year with out of state plates.  Have never gotten pulled over but we are super careful not to speed.  We do sort of have a little fun with it.  As we get to the spot we slow down.  A lot of times some asshat tourist with no idea why we are slowing down will get really irritated and tailgate. So we put the blinker on and pull to the side to let them pass.  Many times we have found then a few miles down the road introducing themselves to Plymouth’s finest.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Ha. We go through there twice a weekend 8 months a year with out of state plates.  Have never gotten pulled over but we are super careful not to speed.  We do sort of have a little fun with it.  As we get to the spot we slow down.  A lot of times some asshat tourist with no idea why we are slowing down will get really irritated and tailgate. So we put the blinker on and pull to the side to let them pass.  Many times we have found then a few miles down the road introducing themselves to Plymouth’s finest.

I found this an interesting read on the sheriff's of VT: https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/sheriff-inc/Content?oid=20070627

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wachusett might open for a bit very soon. My son is on call if they decide to open. Not bad considering it was in the 70s last week

Looks like tomorrow is the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just made a reservation for opening day at Mt Snow. 

As Texans said at the Battle of Gonzalez and I say to Phil Scott, "Come and Take it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkO said:

Wachusett first in the east to open to the general public. I wonder if that's a first?

A place in North Carolina opened a couple of days ago... not sure if that was for public skiing, but they were first I believe

 

Edit

Sugar Mountain NC opened Thursday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.