• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2020 General Discussion

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Very warm summer day with a bit of a lake breeze to keep it from sweltering. Get it while we can. :)

September/October is my favorite time to visit the north-shore. I find cloudy and 50s is perfect hiking weather, less crowds, plus nothing beats waking up to a dusting of snow on the tent. 

The wife and I usually make 1-2 trips up to Lutsen each winter as well.

I’ll be dreaming of those days this weekend, going to be muggy down in the cities again....

54 minutes ago, Powerball said:

"Strung out POS" has become the norm lately.

The trauma is coming back. Every storm, starting out promising... In the middle, it starts trending better and better... Then the last few days, you're just chasing a dream, praying that it doesn't happen all over again, growing more numb with every model run.

• Like 1

Something that I’ve noticed here this summer is that there’s been an unusually low amount of thunder and lightning. Even when we’ve had convection, there hasn’t been much thunder and lightning with it. Usually with a hot summer, you get a good amount of lightning. Anyone else notice that?

• Like 4

20 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

September/October is my favorite time to visit the north-shore. I find cloudy and 50s is perfect hiking weather, less crowds, plus nothing beats waking up to a dusting of snow on the tent. 

The wife and I usually make 1-2 trips up to Lutsen each winter as well.

I’ll be dreaming of those days this weekend, going to be muggy down in the cities again....

Fall always might favorite season. Early Summer second. Mid summer is ok when there is some relief from Canada or the Lake. It has gotten a little chilly a couple times. After deer season and T-Day, then its just gets ugly. Some years right during deer season the ugly starts, like I believe this year is going to be one of them. As I've gotten older, winters are a bit harder to take when they get too snowy and bitter.

• Like 1

As soon as I saw that 240 hr frame I felt like I wanted to punch my screen. We better not see that **** on the next run.

Manitoba tornadoes have been Canada's most fearsome and incredible for 9 years now, and Canada's most photogenic tornado of 2020 occurred yesterday ejecting two 18-year olds out of their car and killing them.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/powerful-storms-spawn-large-tornado-in-southern-manitoba-scarth-virden

Tons of different shots of the beast. I think the casualties are the youngest since the Aug 20 2009 Durham ON tornado.

• Sad 1

Again, another day in a row temps underperformed. Only reached 83 with the forecast high of 86, even on a mostly sunny day. Yesterday, temps underperformed by only hitting 81 with that forecast high for yesterday being 83. The NBM model has been running a bit too warm lately. #FallIsComing

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Yep.

Ditched the -PNA after mid-week.

Bring on the August 2017, 2015, 2013, 2009, 2004, 2000, 1997, and 1992 analogs.

NWS is hinting at only one chance at hitting 90 early next week, but TWC has none.
image.png.8fbfa36686b0fd24820f70bd92a4aebc.png
If TWC nails this, and based on the models, we may be writing off August unless we repeat August 2013 when the heat did not come back until near the end of that month.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

In terms of a singular event, I'd have to say the remnants of Cristobal is my personal highlight so far.

For here I guess it'd be the 50mph winds the evening of 7/11, the night MLI gusted to 80mph.  

Seems like nocturnal MCS are non-existent this season.  Most action has been from pulse type stuff back in parts of June and July.  

• Sad 1

On 8/7/2020 at 1:19 PM, Brian D said:

Fall always might favorite season. Early Summer second. Mid summer is ok when there is some relief from Canada or the Lake. It has gotten a little chilly a couple times. After deer season and T-Day, then its just gets ugly. Some years right during deer season the ugly starts, like I believe this year is going to be one of them. As I've gotten older, winters are a bit harder to take when they get too snowy and bitter.

One of my good friends hunts on family land near Silver Creek, most of the time they are dealing with snow and cold when the season opens. I can only imagine how much more brutal it is for muzzleloader season a few weeks later. His mom is from Two Harbors and he grew up staying up there during the summer. Apparently you guys have a great skate park along the lake, or at least did in the 90s.

Most of the rain and storms have missed the cities so far this weekend. We've managed only 0.03" while it looks like places up north got a few needed inches of rain, wouldn't mind a garden variety storm to come through later today and save me the trouble of watering. 

42 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

I take it you’re pleased about that?  I certainly can’t complain about no overnight MCS action that keeps me up when I should be sleeping.

While I'd like to see some good action during the day now and then, I love overnight thunderstorms.  This summer, we are not getting much of either.  It is getting very dry over here.