• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid July Heat Wave

Chicago Storm

I think ORD will match or exceed the highest temp from the first round of heat on Sun or Mon. 

To me Sun is probably the hottest day...though could even end up being Sat. By Mon the flex northward of the ridge starts breaking down, with storm chances greatly increasing. Sun could be a good candidate, with the warmest UA temps expected...Though storm activity could end up not too far to the north, or even in the area.

If Sun or Mon is indeed hottest day(s), I agree ORD will surpass the season hottest of 96. If above issues come into play, it’s not happening. Also add in any precip as a issue, which could be significant, over the next several days.

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

To me Sun is probably the hottest day...though could even end up being Sat.

By Mon the flex northward of the ridge starts breaking down, with storm chances greatly increasing. Sun could be a good candidate, with the warmest UA temps expected...Though storm activity could end up not too far to the north, or even in the area.

If Sun or Mon is indeed hottest day(s), I agree ORD will surpass the season hottest of 96. Of above issues come into play, it’s not happening.

I'd lean toward Sun at this point.  I threw Monday in there in case things slow down.  

Upcoming heat episode still should not match 25 yrs ago at this time fortunately.  But I was 25 yrs younger then.  I remember driving to Springfield Illinois on business at that time and just wilting.

Coincidentally I also was 25 years younger then. That said - Rockford, 7/4-7/7 2012 is the hottest I can remember in my lifetime, with 105 on 7/7. I lived in west of STL until 20 and nothing I remember matches July 2012 in RFD.
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

Coincidentally I also was 25 years younger then. That said - Rockford, 7/4-7/7 2012 is the hottest I can remember in my lifetime, with 105 on 7/7. I lived in west of STL until 20 and nothing I remember matches July 2012 in RFD.

That time frame we hit 102 in Knoxville Tennessee. 100 for 3-4 straight days. I remember it was dry leading up to that. 

That caused a drastic shift in plant populations. Bermudagrass took over and many tall fescue landscapes left for good. I think of my time in TN as pre July 2012 and post July 2012. 

5 hours ago, luckyweather said:

My all time hottest days personally experienced.

July 1988, my home region of KFNT hit 105F with a 113F HI. I had no A/C at my home, work office, or in my car. That was the era of "fan power", lol.

July 1995, living in NMI during the infamous Chicago "death torch". Only hit 100F up north (a place that usually only sees a handful of 90's each summer). Honorable mention, the day it hit 100F a wicked MCS blew thru town dropping our temp to 59F briefly before rebounding back up to a nice 75F evening. Nature's A/C for the win!

August 2010, working in Ft. Worth TX and the long hot summer there culminated with a 110F high temp late in the month. I had A/C at the apartment, work office, and in my car so it was almost a "novelty". Besides, it was a "dry heat" off the Mexican desert.

July 4 2012, went to Lake Michigan at South Haven where my car thermo was reading 103F. Beach was wall-to-wall people so we never actually made it in the water, lol.

With A/C it just makes surviving these heatwaves soooo much less miserable.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, michsnowfreak said:

Dry heat is so overrated lol. I just laugh when people act like 115° is not bad if it's dry heat 

It just feels like a hair dryer blowing on you when you sit in front of a fan.

I do prefer dry heat, especially in my business with freezers and such. Operating expenses are lower with low humidity and less condensation on equipment.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:44 AM, michsnowfreak said:

As much as I hate heat, it would have been interesting to experience some of the wicked heatwaves from the 1930s-50s

Imagine going through that with NO AC.

Growing up I never had AC until around 2001. Summer lasted forever.

I still have fond memories of summer being HOT and the fact that I had no way to escape it.

Sleeping on the floor at my grandmother's farm house, fan blowing on me and hearing T-storms rumble almost every night.

Now, I have AC and T-storms are rare as heck these days. It was like another world.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Imagine going through that with NO AC.

Growing up I never had AC until around 2001. Summer lasted forever.

I still have fond memories of summer being HOT and the fact that I had no way to escape it.

Sleeping on the floor at my grandmother's farm house, fan blowing on me and hearing T-storms rumble almost every night.

Now, I have AC and T-storms are rare as heck these days. It was like another world.

That's always one of the first things I think, how they had no air conditioner.  We all know I'm the climo guy for Detroit area. Subtle trends I've noticed lately are an increase in precipitation and snowfall as well as an increase in average mean temperature over the course of the entire met summer. But I've yet to see anything rival the frequency and intensity of the heat waves of the 1930s-50s. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:46 AM, WestMichigan said:

July 6, 1996 - Tulsa, OK it was 111°F.  I don't care if it is a dry heat or not.  That is hot.

My post about the "dry heat 110F day" in TX deserves an asterisk next to it, lol.

That summer was 5th hottest on record at the time (2010) and included a bunch of 100+ days including a 2-1/2 week stretch. 104 and 105F had been happening with regularity, so the additional 5 deg's that single day wasn't that much worse tbh. Sadly (and I'm glad I missed it) 2010 was just a rehearsal for the big-dog hotness that was 2011.

Funny how this article from June of that year about the "great one" summer of 1980 heatwave quotes an old-timer saying "it won't likely ever be that hot again". Lol, then the very next summer gave 1980 a beat-down: https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/living/family/moms/article3825628.html

DFW 100s streak list.PNG