• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlckJckKhoWX
    Newest Member
    BlckJckKhoWX

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Have not gone swimming in the ocean for 25-30 years.  With my spinal fusion at C-4 in 2011, I probably should keep it that way.  When I'd body-surf at Reid or Popham, occasionally I'd mis-time a wave and get driven head first into the bottom. 

The water is the only place I  can exercise without pain. I have abandoned the double overhead waves and only ride 6 feet and under which I can manage easily. The ocean is a part of me and will be forever. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

85F pool water.  Clear.  Chemically balanced. Reggae playing.  Beer in hand. 
That’s my jam. 

Still hoping to hit Misquamicut next week if that tropical threat behaves

Sounds familiar,  jam today is Rateliffe

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha!  One shark death in a 100 years and shut the ocean down... "abundance of caution" sounds familiar.

People are so paranoid.

5 hours ago, Hoth said:

Nearly 1,500 American deaths yesterday. Not a good trend.

I think we got back to these high numbers much quicker than any thought IIRC. Today may challenge yesterday too with FL and AZ coming in very high. 

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha!  One shark death in a 100 years and shut the ocean down... "abundance of caution" sounds familiar.

Just waking up in 2020?

• Weenie 1

Beaches closed here for 3rd day in a row lol  (Shark in the pond:lmao:)

• Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Winners and losers' in the precip department for July 

20200730_125251.jpg

Where did you find that graphic!?  I didn't know CoCoRAHS had that ability... awesome.  I looked quickly but couldn't find it.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Where did you find that graphic!?  I didn't know CoCoRAHS had that ability... awesome.  I looked quickly but couldn't find it.

New Graphics maps come out tomorrow,  this is a preview 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

New Graphics maps come out tomorrow,  this is a preview 

That’s very cool, thanks for the update Ginx.  It made me check out my most recent CoCoRaHS email, which has this:

Big News – The Long-Awaited CoCoRaHS Interactive Mapping System --  Coming on August 1
Some of you have been helping test our new interactive maps and have provided great help and suggestions. We will continue to make improvements after the release, but we are as ready as we can be to finally share it with everyone.  I'll spill some of the beans here and tell you that one feature of the new map will allow you to view accumulated data for a custom period of your choosing.  It's really neat to view totals on a map showing the last week, or month, but we did have to place limits on how much data could be compiled at once.
We’ve found and fixed most bugs – and it works well when a few dozen people are generating their favorite maps.  The big question is will it bog down when 10,000 of us are enjoying these new maps at the same time.  We will find that out real soon, but we've definitely made sure that data entry won't be affected if the map is overwhelmed.  So keep your fingers crossed, and keep your eyes peeled for the new map on August 1st.

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Abundance of seals.  They have a buffet laid out for them now

That's the case, The seal population has exploded up here hence the attraction, You know how that goes, The herring show up, The pogies chase the herring, The seals chase the pogies, The sharks chase the seals, etc, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That the case, The seal population has exploded up here hence the attraction, You know how that goes, The herring show up, The pogies chase the herring, The seals chase the pogies, The sharks chase the seals, etc, etc.

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There was an interesting read a few years ago on how the great whites started increasing off the Cape once the seal populations were rebounding....a delayed response to the protection of them in the 1970s. Apparently Great Whites were pretty common in the early days of settlement because seals were very prevalent. Then we started hunting the seals not long after we arrived and they steadily decreased....their demise accelerated in the late 19th and 20th century as fisherman started killing them off because they were competing for the same fish. The seals were nearly extinct on Cape Cod by 1970 and so were the great whites.....hard to believe now there are about 40,000-50,000 seals on the Cape now. Actually a pretty amazing conservation story....but it has meant an increase in the sharks.

Maine has similarly seen seal populations rise from their lows back in the 20th century. Sharks are going to go where the food is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Buffets are no good in the age of COVID

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

A 7-10 may be in order.

D9347ABE-A189-4F07-B93B-4443A2DFAC5E.jpeg

Yup, 7-10'd, 0.01", The line blew up once it was east of here.

80E59533-4AB7-4BE4-B556-7E89699D0946.jpeg

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Grabbed 0.47"

Nice, I see more in CNH moving east, Maybe we grab some of those if they hold up.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

1*I0Z1VpRFmXU5RQN70HpIOA.png

After abandoning the sweater look, Powder Freak started wearing 70's suits and was elected mayor of Amity- which means friendship.

Let’s see if this one holds up, Generally ones coming out of the Norway south Paris area usually get here.

518D4778-CEF7-4F06-968C-0A45292794A2.jpeg

Tornado parameters are in place for a potential big storm to move through the Cape and Islands today and tonight.  High CAPE over 3000j/kg, and shear over 40-knots and low level shear near 20 knots, tornado parameters over 2 EHI, and 2 for the Violent Tornado Parameter.  Also a mesoscale low pressure was analyzed as of 400pm EDT in Cape Cod Bay of 1008mb.  This will enhance storm relative helicity and shear in the area.

• Like 1

So that was really weird, just saw some of the heaviest rain I’ve ever seen in downtown Greenfield and the radar looks clear?

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, dryslot said:
Nice, I see more in CNH moving east, Maybe we grab some of those if they hold up.

Looks like we might get whacked

Sure does

C3D3D4DE-D676-4755-9B54-4C6AB7D9E196.jpeg