Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Its about the same here, But that is for seasoned, Green is $180-$225, Tree length is $125-$150 depending on wood variety.

I had to pick it up myself but I scored 2 1/2 cords of well seasoned hardwood for $400 total.   Going rate around Greenfield right now is close to $300 / cord for seasoned which is pretty high.

Doesn’t really make any sense that there is somewhat of a wood shortage this year because last year was mild. Two of the Wood guys I spoke to said that people were kind of hoarding it this year which is absurd. Toilet paper is one thing but the pandemic and firewood supplies should be a non-issue. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I had to pick it up myself but I scored 2 1/2 cords of well seasoned hardwood for $400 total.   Going rate around Greenfield right now is close to $300 / cord for seasoned which is pretty high.

Doesn’t really make any sense that there is somewhat of a wood shortage this year because last year was mild. Two of the Wood guys I spoke to said that people were kind of hoarding it this year which is absurd. Toilet paper is one thing but the pandemic and firewood supplies should be a non-issue. 

Yea must be short supply. Oil is so cheap, just topped off for $1.49 a gallon. I believe a cord of decent hard wood btu wise only equates to about 120 gallons of oil.

13 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is so much dead wood around here on the ground if I was burning I could have 4 cord on my property alone,no BS. There is down seasoned wood everywhere not counting all the wood the electric companies tree guys left. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like 07-08 here. Except it wasn’t down to 10” the next day. lol

I was in BUF like 10 days after their 82” storm in late dec 2001, and it looked like they had gotten like 20”.  

LES is pretty sweet when it’s happening but the staying power is hideous, lol. Unless you’re in a place like the tug hill where it basically never stops. 

• Like 1

It's been the weenie reflex every time there's a big lake effect event to comment on how fast it disappears (I guess it makes us less jealous, ha), but man there's something about even seeing a day with 6 foot mushroom caps on top of houses in a suburban development.  The photos from that event are absolutely insane regardless of what happens afterwards.

I found myself reading that thread last night for whatever reason when I couldn't sleep, and we were all in there jacking it to it, ha.  Even Ray was ready to up and move to BUF lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It's been the weenie reflex every time there's a big lake effect event to comment on how fast it disappears (I guess it makes us less jealous, ha), but man there's something about even seeing a day with 6 foot mushroom caps on top of houses in a suburban development.  The photos from that event are absolutely insane regardless of what happens afterwards.

I found myself reading that thread last night for whatever reason when I couldn't sleep, and we were all in there jacking it to it, ha.  Even Ray was ready to up and move to BUF lol.

The more I get older, the more I find being in the moment of the big events means so much more. Even if I knew it would be gone in 12hrs....we are all weenies because we want to experience something anomalous.  I’d rather have 7’ of snow in 3 days disappear in 12 hours instead of a crusty pack from multiple SWFEs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Having gone to college out in central/western NY and also chased while out there, I have a love/hate relationship with LES. I think in the middle of an intense LES event can be hard to top...especially when it’s perfect snow growth and little wind...it’s almost magical seeing the 5” per hour stuff just stack straight up. 

But there is definitely a post-storm depression aspect of it when you look and it’s all compressed down to one third of its original depth within a day or two. 

Also, when that big event is elusive and you’re just seeing these 1-3” type events while it’s ripping 10” of high-QPF snow off to your east, it gets very frustrating very quickly. You start craving even a 6-7” synoptic snow with some meat to it. 

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The more I get older, the more I find being in the moment of the big events means so much more. Even if I knew it would be gone in 12hrs....we are all weenies because we want to experience something anomalous.  I’d rather have 7’ of snow in 3 days disappear in 12 hours instead of a crusty pack from multiple SWFEs.

Yeah I'm with you.  It was actually talked about in that storm thread, Ray made the same point at the time... go big or go home, who cares what happens days later.  It does all melt eventually, even at the picnic tables. 

I get what Will is saying too, I wouldn't want to do a whole winter of that sort of up and down 40s in BUF and then lake effect, then 40s and missing synoptic snows to the east.  But man, to get a 5-7 foot storm in like 48 hours?  Sign me up.

Worrying about what happens afterward does remind me a bit of like how Kev can have an 18" event in-progress and seems like he can't really enjoy it because all he's focused on is the EURO showing a rainer 3 days later. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I'm with you.  It was actually talked about in that storm thread, Ray made the same point at the time... go big or go home, who cares what happens days later.  It does all melt eventually, even at the picnic tables. 

I get what Will is saying too, I wouldn't want to do a whole winter of that sort of up and down 40s in BUF and then lake effect, then 40s and missing synoptic snows to the east.  But man, to get a 5-7 foot storm in like 48 hours?  Sign me up.

Worrying about what happens afterward does remind me a bit of like how Kev can have an 18" event in-progress and seems like he can't really enjoy it because all he's focused on is the EURO showing a rainer 3 days later. 

What I'd like (as would anyone here) would be another Feb 1969,when Farmington got 43" over 3 days that built the pack to 84" - was the state's tallest pack on record until 2017 when 94" was measured at Chimney Pond.  Pales next to Pinkham Notch's 164" after that same '69 event., undoubtedly the most east of the Rockies.  Mansfield is 2nd, 149" that same winter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ji in the MA forum is the same way. He is more about the tracking and worrying than the actual storm. Whenever it snows in his area, he spends the whole storm here posting about how it’s sad winter is ending soon and there is nothing on the long range models. It’s a sickness they have. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Who are you?

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve always felt that. I’m not a snowpack guy. I mean yeah if we have a good pack I’m all for it, but we live for anomalies.

It's funny how everyone has their thing. I like snowpack but my #1 thing is snow covered trees. Works out perfectly - most of the time - in my locale, where trees tend to be snow covered more than most other locations I've experienced, even if places like Bartlett down the notch do much better in snowpack (even theirs is generally much more short lived than ours, it can get quite a bit deeper than up here)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve always felt that. I’m not a snowpack guy. I mean yeah if we have a good pack I’m all for it, but we live for anomalies.

I grew to love pack living here. Everyone here has their winter thing. PF has the upslope, you guys have the biggies, I have the consistent mod/hvy events and pack, some have the elevation boost, some have the rad cooling, James has the wind...lol. 

As much as the pack drives me insane sometimes it can be good for the yard. Having 6”+ over the landscape DJFM can really help insulate the plants. The CAD wedges can get depressing though. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I grew to love pack living here. Everyone here has their winter thing. PF has the upslope, you guys have the biggies, I have the consistent mod/hvy events and pack, some have the elevation boost, some have the rad cooling, James has the wind...lol. 

As much as the pack drives me inaane sometimes it can be good for the yard. Having 6”+ over the landscape DJFM can really help insulate the plants. The CAD wedges can get depressing though. 

I’m certainly not saying I don’t care about pack. I most definitely prefer it. But it’s not our climo.  I enjoy the big events. I’m sure when I lose a foot of snow this winter I’ll cry like a biatch. :lol: 

13 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Scooter has joined the club.  Welcome.  No desire to have snow and cold lingering around.  It can dump 36” and be gone the next day.

Well just to be clear, I like the snow and cold (not bitter).  My point was only that if I were to get 7’ of snow and have it disappear...I can’t be that mad after witnessing something as epic as that. I do hope winter is snowy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well just to be clear, I like the snow and cold (not bitter).  My point was only that if I were to get 7’ of snow and have it disappear...I can’t be that mad after witnessing something as epic as that. I do hope winter is snowy. 

I hear what your saying.  118” that winter here was epic but by the end it was “no mas”.  I don’t like the extreme cold either.  20s are fine but I have no desire for days in the single digits or windy.  I’ll take the rare radiator special when I drop below 0.

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

17 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Scooter has joined the club.  Welcome.  No desire to have snow and cold lingering around.  It can dump 36” and be gone the next day.

The snowpack fetish never made sense to me. What good does 36" in December followed by 2 months of cold do?  Give me 4" of snow every 3 days.

13 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

The snowpack fetish never made sense to me. What good does 36" in December followed by 2 months of cold do?  Give me 4" of snow every 3 days.

I think having snow around is a good thing.  I definitely want a pack.  It’s also where I live. If I lived where Tamarack lives the would be A big part Of my winter grade. Around here packs come and go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Why not both? :devilsmiley:

Yeah in most winters where I have a snow pack intact for weeks on end, it’s usually accompanied by multiple storms refreshing the pack every so often. You get the rare winter where it snows a ton and then rots for 3 weeks (this happened in feb 2014 after we got crushed like 4 times in 10 days and then didn’t get crap for the next 3-4 weeks...and the snow pack started to get those radar shards from sublimation)  but I feel 90% of the time it’s inherent that you are getting snow to refresh it. 

In your area, it’s true to an extreme. You’ll get upslope in addition to all the synoptic stuff. 

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah in most winters where I have a snow pack intact for weeks on end, it’s usually accompanied by multiple storms refreshing the pack every so often. You get the rare winter where it snows a ton and then rots for 3 weeks (this happened in feb 2014 after we got crushed like 4 times in 10 days and then didn’t get crap for the next 3-4 weeks...and the snow pack started to get those radar shards from sublimation)  but I feel 90% of the time it’s inherent that you are getting snow to refresh it. 

In your area, it’s true to an extreme. You’ll get upslope in addition to all the synoptic stuff. 

The classic big snow/no retention was 1995-96.  At Gardiner the snow got to 28" deep 2nd week of January then 3 torch deluges cut it back to 5".  In Farmington, 40" went down to 8" - takes some incredible thaws to drop the foothills pack by 32" in January.  Feb saw the Gardiner pack go up to 12" then squash back to just 2.  16" in early March again lifted the depth to 20" and 17 days later it was all gone.  23" in one April week produced only 21 SDDs.  For my 13 winters in Gardiner that winter is 30" snowier than any other but only 5th in SDDs, way behind 86-87, 89-90 and 93-94.  Fun watching the stuff fall, not fun slogging thru the slush a few days later.