Blue Moon
    Newest Member
    Blue Moon

June Banter 2020

PDS Tornado Watch 333 in effect until 9PM EDT June 23 2020

Hazards: 

Numerous long-track intense tornadoes likely

Numerous significant wind gusts to 105 mph likely

Widespread large hail with scattered giant hail events to 4" in diameter likely 

Discussion: 

A well-developed and intense MCS/derecho continues to move through much of West Virginia AOA 65kts. The environment within the watch area is characterized by extreme instability (MLCAPE 6000+ J/kg), impressive shear (EBWD 60-80 kts), high moisture content (Pwats of 2-2.25"+) and strong DCAPE (1200-1500+ J/kg). As the MCS moves into the mountains additional supercells are expected to rapidly develop by 19-20z along the foothills/Blue ridge ahead of the main line and move east through the DC and Baltimore metropolitan areas. With the very strong low-level shear also in place (effective SRH of 300-600 m2/s2) these cells will have the greatest risk of producing long-track strong to violent tornadoes as well as very large to giant hail. The greatest wind threat over this region will come with the main line of storms between 20-23z with high-end severe winds (possibly in excess of 100 mph). Storms will move out of the watch area by 00z.

Forecaster: George BM

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Jesus Christ this year just keeps getting worse

Is it bad that I immediately thought of the scene between Darth Vader and Lando on Bespin in The Empire Strikes Back?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, yoda said:

Is it bad that I immediately thought of the scene between Darth Vader and Lando on Bespin in The Empire Strikes Back?

Is that Star Trek? 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

"Wrath of Khan " was the best of the original Trek movies imo.

An excellent choice 

37 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

"Wrath of Khan " was the best of the original Trek movies imo.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

Well, the economic data has come in.  It turns out that there was about a 80% drop in restaurant dine-in activity before anyone even knew what a stay-at-home order was.  Now that those orders have been lifted, only about 20-25% of their typical demand has returned.  Even though many states are allowing up to 50% capacity, they're coming nowhere close to even approaching that.  One could surmise that the pseudo-lockdown only affected 20% of consumer demand.  The remaining 80% was voluntary.  The barbershop economy isn't displaying this "pent-up demand" and a V-shaped recovery, as we were told would happen.  Reviewing the GDP report from the 1st quarter reveals we were already in a recession by mid-March due to massive disruptions in manufacturing and supply chains.  But now, I'm going to go back to reading Animal Farm and 1984, and conjure up some more fantastical stories of tyrannical oppression.  And I plan to call some hair salons....my hair is out of control

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I’ve been in a coma for 6 months.  What did I miss?

Yes.

The beer talk is lacking here lately.

I wanted the new batch of WWS, but "settled" for a 750 ml bottle of Founders KBS. Its very good, as always.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The beer talk is lacking here lately.

I wanted the new batch of WWS, but "settled" for a 750 ml bottle of Founders KBS. Its very good, as always.

Tonight I'm having water on the rocks :D

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Moscow mule tonight.  Back in Arlington and perfect night to sit on the patio.  Hard to believe its early June.  

Yep...another beaut. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:54 PM, Inverted_Trough said:

Well, the economic data has come in.  It turns out that there was about a 80% drop in restaurant dine-in activity before anyone even knew what a stay-at-home order was.  Now that those orders have been lifted, only about 20-25% of their typical demand has returned.  Even though many states are allowing up to 50% capacity, they're coming nowhere close to even approaching that.  One could surmise that the pseudo-lockdown only affected 20% of consumer demand.  The remaining 80% was voluntary.  The barbershop economy isn't displaying this "pent-up demand" and a V-shaped recovery, as we were told would happen.  Reviewing the GDP report from the 1st quarter reveals we were already in a recession by mid-March due to massive disruptions in manufacturing and supply chains.  But now, I'm going to go back to reading Animal Farm and 1984, and conjure up some more fantastical stories of tyrannical oppression.  And I plan to call some hair salons....my hair is out of control

Gloating about the economy being even more destroyed than the worst-case projections as riots tear apart the major cities is certainly an interesting look...

53 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Gloating about the economy being even more destroyed than the worst-case projections as riots tear apart the major cities is certainly an interesting look...

Shouldn’t you be trolling someone on Twitter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Tonight I'm having water on the rocks :D

I have that every day! Well, mine has a smidgen of orange juice and a little carbonation and a few artificial sweeteners....but still water listed first.

So got the news this week that even though the MD state superintendent did not give FCPS the 12 day waiver they were looking for, only got the 5 day with the last day on June 17. FCPS has decided to stop distance learning as of this Friday June 5th. All next week kids who are behind will get to catch up and then they all will get a reflection assignment on how distance learning worked or did not work for them. So as of this Friday the 2 Miss J's will be done with the 19/20 school year. We have opted for traditional grades vs. P/INCO. 

• Like 2

They better restart some sports soon or i'm going to resort to watching pocket pool. I hope i don't scratch very often. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2020 at 12:09 AM, psuhoffman said:

I’ve been in a coma for 6 months.  What did I miss?

Go back to sleep, come back about December and see what's what by then! :lol:

(Sneak preview:  people complaining how we suck, winter is cancelled, fringed, etc.)