Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Discussion

weatherwiz

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

If you have normal 10 to 20 below normal you end up with with an average of 48 rather than 58 for a day or even 43 or 38. So say your 65 normal high is 55. That's chilly

If the sun is out that’s chilly nights and days we’ll into the 60’s or higher. It’s not cold . Most of that is dry, chilly nights

30 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

a few light cool shots, that's about it. Maypril

I mean those progs are pretty cool relative to normal.... now whether anyone's skin feels that as "cold" or "chilly" or what not is another matter.  I agree a sunny -5 day can still be pretty damn nice out this time of year.  I'll take sunny and 52F as a win.

The tune from a few in here though would be MUCH different if that was showing +5 to +10 departures.  I'm pretty sure the word "torch" would be involved in that.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I mean those progs are pretty cool relative to normal.... now whether anyone's skin feels that as "cold" or "chilly" or what not is another matter.

The tune from a few in here would be MUCH different if that was showing +5 to +10 departures.  I'm pretty sure the word "torch" would be involved in that.

Absolutely but to some it wont feel hot as they say so is it actually a torch then? People confuse climo with feel like all the time. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean those progs are pretty cool relative to normal.... now whether anyone's skin feels that as "cold" or "chilly" or what not is another matter.  I agree a sunny -5 day can still be pretty damn nice out this time of year.  I'll take sunny and 52F as a win.

The tune from a few in here though would be MUCH different if that was showing +5 to +10 departures.  I'm pretty sure the word "torch" would be involved in that.

yeah.....The problem with a mean trough over us is you just end up with too many days like today....yeah, when you get lucky and end up under high pressure, it's' a bluebird 60/32 type day...and it feels nice when you're out at peak heating. But that mixed with days like today is why we get -5 to -10 departures consistently for weeks. Your "nice days" are still average or below average.

Hoping we break the streak of this weekend and pop a couple positive departures....but it looks like we go back into the shitter again after that.

You can see the fight though ... I still maintain that the 850 mb thermal layout relaxed the cold complexion quite a bit terminating 2 or 3 days back when that last meandering cool event finally gobbled up the unusual chill plume lingering south of 40 N and whirled/terminated it out into the Maritimes. 

What we are left with ( unfortunately .. do to other timings) is a milder troposphere unrealized at the surface - but it is a warmer total depth. It is psychologically too easy to chastise and tenor dour when we are on the N side of an impossibly slow moving warm front today, stuck in the mid 40s and raining.  

But Saturday ( if you believe this NAM solution, and I do, because it matches the Euro reasonably well from 00z ) will show that warmer potential... Dawn-ish the skies are clear and mid morning d-slope dandy flow is established under 850 mbs of +2 to +3 C ... mid day being lazed by a May sun angle.  12z NAM MOS puts up 64 at KFIT but I gotta think if that synopsis plays out they should bust by four ...say 68 F.  KASH ..etc...  over achievers over decks, patios, front-yards and driveways - and probably 73 too if the wind were to drop off.  Either way, it's not the same troposphere as last week.  Sunday clouds contamination otherwise probably warmer.  First time we have a shot at stringing two days of that sort of feel ... 

Just an op-ed perspective:  My own expectations for April's are set pretty low to begin with.   "...Is the cruelest month" .. for a reason ;)  It is, per my own experience, exceedingly rare to string decent days together during this cursed annual journey through seasonal lag that defines the NE climate.  The seasonal lag stuff is actually being augmented further by CC too, for complex balancing reasons which we won't get into.. But, sufficed it is to say if however counter-intuitive, this present era "stage" of the warming world atmosphere means super-synoptic scaled 'tucking' over eastern north america ... and that means we have a built in butt-bone for warm enthusiasts from March 20 to June 10 every year. Doesn't mean - as usual - conditions will always suck,... but it does mean a relentless diet of Kevin installation futility posts during that time.. heh.  It's like 'white men can't jump'?  They can, they just have to work extra hard to do it - that's our spring. We can get balmy but it's harder.

We have a long way to go before this miserable spring gets anywhere close to the rectal plaque that was May of 2005 - not even in the same apoplectic universe as that.  

Lastly, these cold regimed extended frames have been routinely modulated milder heading into the mid terms so I'm less impressed with digging up ensemble cold members and pretending it makes the -(SAD) 10% really unhappy to see that.  ha!

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

yeah.....The problem with a mean trough over us is you just end up with too many days like today....yeah, when you get lucky and end up under high pressure, it's' a bluebird 60/32 type day...and it feels nice when you're out at peak heating. But that mixed with days like today is why we get -5 to -10 departures consistently for weeks. Your "nice days" are still average or below average.

Hoping we break the streak of this weekend and pop a couple positive departures....but it looks like we go back into the shitter again after that.

Then there is the destructive sunshine days where you hit 60 and it feels great for an hour and some claim what a great day it was, see it hit 62 degrees.  Meanwhile 12 of the 14 daylight hours were cloudy and in the 50s

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You can see the fight though ... I still maintain that the 850 mb thermal layout relaxed the cold complexion quite a bit terminating 2 or 3 days back when that last meandering cool event finally gobbled up the unusual chill plume lingering south of 40 N and whirled/terminated it out into the Maritimes. 

What we are left with ( unfortunately ..) milder troposphere unrealized at the surface - but it is a warmer total depth. It is psychologically too easy to chastise and tenor dour when we are on the N side of an impossibly slow moving warm front today, stuck in the mid 40s and raining.  

But Saturday ( if you believe this NAM solution, and I do, because it matches the Euro reasonably well from 00z ) will show that warmer potential... Dawn-ish the skies are clear and mid morning d-slope dandy flow is established under 850 mbs of +2 to +3 C ... mid day being lazed by a May sun angle.  12z NAM MOS puts up 64 at KFIT but I gotta think if that synopsis plays out they should bust by four ...say 68 F.  KASH ..etc...  over achievers over decks, patios, front-yards and driveways - and probably 73 too if the wind were to drop off.  Either way, it's not the same troposphere as last week.  Sunday clouds contamination otherwise probably warmer.  First time we have a shot at stringing two days of that sort of feel ... 

Just an op-ed perspective:  My own expectations for April's are set pretty low to begin with.   "...Is the cruelest month" .. for a reason ;)  It is, per my own experience, exceedingly rare to string decent days together during this cursed annual journey through seasonal lag that defines the NE climate.  The seasonal lag stuff is actually being augmented further by CC too, for complex balancing reasons which we won't get into.. But, sufficed it is to say if however counter-intuitive, this present era "stage" of the warming world atmosphere means super-synoptic scaled 'tucking' over eastern north america ... and that means we have a built in butt-bone for warm enthusiasts from March 20 to June 10 every year. Doesn't mean - as usual - it always sucks,... but it does mean a relentless diet of Kevin installation futility posts during that time.. heh

We have a long way to go before this miserable spring gets anywhere close to the rectal plaque that was May of 2005 - not even in the same apoplectic universe as that.  

Lastly, these cold regimed extended frames have been routinely modulated milder heading into the mid terms so I'm less impressed with digging up ensemble cold members and pretending it makes the -(SAD) 10% really unhappy to see that.  ha!

I wouldn't call a - 10 last 2 weeks mild  modulation.  

• Haha 1