Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2020 Discussion

madwx

9 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

With how the climate has been behaving in recent years near the Lakes and what is taking place now it sealed it for me that my goal is now to simply leave, meteorology and weather is my main passion so to save it. Walking outside in mid-April feeling like your face is numb and in pain, yeah.

Today's high is 0ºC with a wind chill of -9ºC for most of the day. That would be in the all-timers for the worst late April day since it will be overcast with flurries. I'm trying to remember an April that was this terrible. I saw on the 00z Euro the same nightmare and on the 240 hr frame (May 1) I smiled in horror. 

Is it time I pony up some of my quarantine stimulus check money to watch the 384 hr Euro?  Or will that just make me more depressed?  I don't understand why the weather gods have to conspire to make 2020 even more hell-year than it already is.  Just need a little hope please.  I suppose it could be worse.  My neighborhood didn't get flattened by a tornado.  I mean, I feel bad complaining about the weather of all things but I just need something to look forward to after rona-hell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Is it time I pony up some of my quarantine stimulus check money to watch the 384 hr Euro?  Or will that just make me more depressed?  I don't understand why the weather gods have to conspire to make 2020 even more hell-year than it already is.  Just need a little hope please.  I suppose it could be worse.  My neighborhood didn't get flattened by a tornado.  I mean, I feel bad complaining about the weather of all things but I just need something to look forward to after rona-hell.

I haven't been checking the long range much but the 500 mb pattern didn't look much different from the stuff I was seeing in Jan. I still am solid on 2014 being the worst year in modern times for all aspects. If it weren't for some sunny weather early this month than this April would've been neck and neck with June 2015 for worst weather month. I don't feel bad for complaining about this because with rona this is the worst case senario for people's well-being in this region. I was pissed as soon as my fears were realized that the mental health crisis was going to be exaserbated with this ****.

Some ON posters may know of the UW Waterloo weather station contest to predict when we reach 20C for the first time annually. I can't believe this, but its nearly certain that this will be the 3rd year in a row where it will be in May! Before 2018 it was decades (70s?) since the first reading of 20 happened in May. With 108 years of data there were never 3 Mays in a row.

I'm sitting at -1C with chill at -8C. A LES shower gave some whispy snow snakes on the road not long ago.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

I haven't been checking the long range much but the 500 mb pattern didn't look much different from the stuff I was seeing in Jan. I still am solid on 2014 being the worst year in modern times for all aspects. If it weren't for some sunny weather early this month than this April would've been neck and neck with June 2015 for worst weather month. I don't feel bad for complaining about this because with rona this is the worst case senario for people's well-being in this region. I was pissed as soon as my fears were realized that the mental health crisis was going to be exaserbated with this ****.

Some ON posters may know of the UW Waterloo weather station contest to predict when we reach 20C for the first time annually. I can't believe this, but its nearly certain that this will be the 3rd year in a row where it will be in May! Before 2018 it was decades (70s?) since the first reading of 20 happened in May. With 108 years of data there were never 3 Mays in a row.

I'm sitting at -1C with chill at -8C. A LES shower gave some whispy snow snakes on the road not long ago.

I think the new semi-permanent northeast Pacific SST warm anomaly has slowed the polar jet and increased the amplification of the climatological Rocky Mountain ridge + Hudson Bay trough.  The northern hemisphere has warmed overall, but climatological northwest flow has become more amplified over the eastern North America.  This will definitely cause cold springs as long as the north winds are coming off lingering Canadian snowpack.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, frostfern said:

pic_edit.thumb.jpeg.94c19ff42295b3cc2a60e72abe02d2a9.jpeg

Fixed that for anywhere east of Lake Michigan and north of I-80.   Also, "winter" = London-style.  Cold and damp but no real snow. :axe:

Lol, I would pass on a London Winter. Then again, if London had the Winter we just had they would think they were descending into an ice age. Everything's relative.

36 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Looks like this will be the first time since 1993 that YYZ has failed to hit 70F before May. This has only happened 14 times since 1938 (when records began). The latest date ever was May 19, 1978. < No thank you. 

Meanwhile in DAY, it will be the first time since 2015 we have failed to hit 80F before May. This has happened 35 times since records began in 1893. The latest date for an 80-degree day ever was June 5, 1983, the only year ever there were no 80-degrees the entire spring.

A burst of snow moved through midday as I was taking a walk. No accumulation, but its been impressive to see how often it has been snowing the second half of April, often times during the afternoon. 2nd pic is snowflakes on my jacket today.

Snowfall last 9 days...just 2 days have been snow-free

Apr 14- T

Apr 15- 1.3"

Apr 16- T

Apr 17- 3.4"

Apr 18- 0, but 2" on the ground 

Apr 19- 0

Apr 20- 0

Apr 21- T

Apr 22- T

94689755_10113180062750413_7094971456831

93876381_10113180062835243_3702761000315

• Like 2

Record cold was experienced across a good share of Upper Michigan early today. There is an asterisk next to the records. Houghton and Iron Mountain tied record lows previously set in 1930 and 1936 respectively. Munising broke a record low of 17 set back in 1945. The National Weather Service site near Negaunee set a record for April 22 at 11 degrees. The old record of 14 was set 34 years ago. Clear, calm conditions brought lows of 10 at Baraga Plains and 3 above at Spincich Lake in Luce County.

94186397_10163342898610640_6363339437409042432_o.jpg.b0754764c937a48040141a6d8023a798.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, Snowstorms said:

Looks like this will be the first time since 1993 that YYZ has failed to hit 70F before May. This has only happened 14 times since 1938 (when records began). The latest date ever was May 19, 1978. < No thank you. 

Cold and dry.  Haven't seen more than sprinkles (or flurries I guess, lol) in 10 days, and April is usually one of our wettest months. 

5 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Picked up a few tenths of an inch of snow and sleet last evening. A narrow band to my north got 1-2” of wet snow. I got some nice pictures and video in Richmond and New Haven. 
28D9hxe.jpgk6TU6y0.jpg

Great shots!

Made it to 66 here today.  The lawn has really taken off lately.  Dandelions are in full bloom across the landscape.  Most trees have leafed out, but a few of the stubborn/late leafers are still holding out, waiting for May I guess.  Farmers have been out in area fields quite a bit the past week or so.  Should start to see corn sprouting in another week or so in certain fields.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Great shots!

Made it to 66 here today.  The lawn has really taken off lately.  Dandelions are in full bloom across the landscape.  Most trees have leafed out, but a few of the stubborn/late leafers are still holding out, waiting for May I guess.  Farmers have been out in area fields quite a bit the past week or so.  Should start to see corn sprouting in another week or so in certain fields.

Holy crap what a difference between there and here. Unlke the snowfalls last week, yesterdays snow did not accumulate here however it snowed midday and then again during the evening. None of the trees have leafed out here.

...RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT DETROIT MI... THE HIGH TEMPERATURE IN DETROIT ONLY REACHED 38 DEGREES ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 22ND. THAT BROKE THE RECORD FOR LOWEST DAILY MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 40 DEGREES SET IN 1893. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Cold and dry.  Haven't seen more than sprinkles (or flurries I guess, lol) in 10 days, and April is usually one of our wettest months. 

It's been surprisingly dry. A dry April was bound to happen at some point especially when you consider the last few April's. I believe 2018 was the wettest April on record. 

Sucks we couldn't cash in a couple more cm's in March and April. YYZ fell short of 140cm by 0.8cm.