• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Binworkin
    Newest Member
    Binworkin

Heavy rain and moderate winds in midtown. Nice day to be home but too bad I’m so called an essential worker. Oh well. Enjoy it if you are home!

Winds beginning to pick up around the area now. Sustained at 31 and gusting to 44 mph at JFK. Strongest winds expected this afternoon.

0EEE7074-3522-4728-855F-C58820A9287D.png.6715d59bb8a3e0bd44dc5807d233f61c.png

These winds have definitely increased substantially over the past hour for me. Quite impressive if the worst is still to come this afternoon.

Average speed here 17mph. now gusting to 34mph. Numerous gusts now over 30. This is at my house, anemometer 33 ft high with a non obstructive southern view. Winds are out of the south so I should be getting accurate readings. JFK, like down at the beach, is open with little to obstruct the wind.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Looks like the rain may end for awhile especially western sections-another round later with the biggest winds

Strongest winds will probably be during the break in precip 

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Looks like the rain may end for awhile especially western sections-another round later with the biggest winds

Which is scary for those southwest of us. The 13z HRRR has good instability building in Eastern PA/Western NJ, but it happens a bit late. If they get some cloud thinning and instability is able to increase faster than expected, could get very interesting for them.

As of 10 am, New York City had received 1.17” rain. This is the biggest precipitation amount this year. The last time with at least as much precipitation was December 9, 2019 when 1.57” fell.

• Like 2

i'm usually skeptical of these south wind events but the velocities are so intense you barely need any mixing for good gusts

• Like 1

This is feeling like the beginning of a fairly significant wind event. I’m feeling the ground vibrate with some of these gusts.

• Like 1

The old SPC WRF is signaling a good amount of 2-5km updraft helicity (rotation) crossing the area with convection between 18 and 22z which would correlate with the strongest instability.