• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JimMadson
    Newest Member
    JimMadson

Coronavirus

I've been debating the latter given all the recent news about potentially not needing a second dose if you've already had COVID-19. As with everything else during the pandemic, I doubt CDC will recommend anything based on science for at least several months even as other countries appear prepared to do so. If I'm even more protected now from re-infection than those who never had it and got two doses, why not let someone who needs it more than me have it? I got my first dose about 11 months after having COVID-19. There was some prolonged (~4 days) swelling and soreness in my arm, and I may have had some slight muscle fatigue, but I otherwise had none of the other symptoms reported. I know as of November I still had some anti-bodies from last March, but the study I'm part of didn't divulge exactly how much. 

My friend referenced is a neurologist with admitting privileges at Rush Copley. He got covid from work in early November and then their vaccination process started fairly early being health care workers. After his first shot, everything was amplified vs his covid case symptoms, but for him the worst part of the reaction was that his resting heart rate was at about 130 for a good part of the day after. That plus some of those early studies coming out with writeups in the NY Times were enough for him to decide to not get the second shot.  

I feel the same way about wondering if the immune response is apparently stronger with one dose than a person who hasn't had covid with two shots. It would be nice to know if not getting it meant that someone who didn't have covid yet is guaranteed to get their first or second dose instead, but not sure it works that way. When I mentioned it to the MIC here, his reaction made it sound like they want to encourage all of us to get both regardless of whether we had the virus already. I'm the only one at the WFO who's had covid, so situation is unique to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

My friend referenced is a neurologist with admitting privileges at Rush Copley. He got covid from work in early November and then their vaccination process started fairly early being health care workers. After his first shot, everything was amplified vs his covid case symptoms, but for him the worst part of the reaction was that his resting heart rate was at about 130 for a good part of the day after. That plus some of those early studies coming out with writeups in the NY Times were enough for him to decide to not get the second shot.  

I feel the same way about wondering if the immune response is apparently stronger with one dose than a person who hasn't had covid with two shots. It would be nice to know if not getting it meant that someone who didn't have covid yet is guaranteed to get their first or second dose instead, but not sure it works that way. When I mentioned it to the MIC here, his reaction made it sound like they want to encourage all of us to get both regardless of whether we had the virus already. I'm the only one at the WFO who's had covid, so situation is unique to me.

A reasonable assumption could be made that your first vaccine shot is equivalent to the 2nd booster if you have already had covid. Especially if you experienced significant symptoms during your covid infection. On the other hand if you were asymptomatic or had a really mild case may consider two vaccine doses.

• Like 3

A reasonable assumption could be made that your first vaccine shot is equivalent to the 2nd booster if you have already had covid. Especially if you experienced significant symptoms during your covid infection. On the other hand if you were asymptomatic or had a really mild case may consider two vaccine doses.
My symptoms were on the mild side (low grade fever for a few days, minor dry cough for a few days followed by a longer duration of cold like symptoms, minor body aches for a few days), so maybe I'd fall into the latter group. Haven't gotten tested for antibodies yet though. My assumption has been that since I did have symptoms and not too much time has passed, that I would have antibodies vs. someone who had a completely asymptomatic infection.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

My symptoms were on the mild side (low grade fever for a few days, minor dry cough for a few days followed by a longer duration of cold like symptoms, minor body aches for a few days), so maybe I'd fall into the latter group. Haven't gotten tested for antibodies yet though. My assumption has been that since I did have symptoms and not too much time has passed, that I would have antibodies vs. someone who had a completely asymptomatic infection.

My girlfriend had the same symptoms as you. She got it in November. Most lasting thing for her was loss of taste and smell for about a month. Then it came back. Regardless, she’s a nurse, and was in the first wave of shots. Got both (Pfizer), and had no problems at all with either, other than a sore arm for a couple of days. I like you, am eligible for the vaccines too. I had back in November too, but milder symptoms than my gf. I’ve actually decided to wait for awhile to get them, figuring I’d like to see others (like my parents) get theirs. I’m not worried for myself, think I can wait considering everything. Also with vaccine supply in IL kind of sketchy, especially here locally, I’d rather wait my turn in line a little longer.

19 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Consult with your primary care physician. Depending on when you had Covid there seems to be enough evidence you should have some protection for at least 2-3 months. Would recommend receiving 1st dose but then see how you react to it. If it's a strong immune response may consider delaying or even foregoing second vaccine booster. Information I've seen indicates there's no harm in delaying the time interval between shots and in fact maybe more beneficial. In addition even as IgG and IgA levels wane in the plasma there still is an adaptive immune response in the form of T cytotoxic cells and B memory cells that need to be studied further in the case of Covid. Most antigens(pathogens) once identified create humoral B memory cells capable of eliciting a much quicker antibody and T cell response upon subsequent exposures.

• Like 1

After massive drops in the metrics, I am seeing some early signs of a plateau in metrics here in Indiana.  Will have to give it some more time to be sure.  Have not looked around at other states to see if a similar thing is starting.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

After massive drops in the metrics, I am seeing some early signs of a plateau in metrics here in Indiana.  Will have to give it some more time to be sure.  Have not looked around at other states to see if a similar thing is starting.

Numbers have stopped dropping nationwide, but last week was depressed due to both Monday holiday and the weather (Texas especially). Will need to wait until next week to see if its a real trend. 

16 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

My 76-year-old mom still hasn't been able to get an appointment.  I don't expect to be able to get one for a few months.

The nearby Hy-Vee pharmacy just had a cancelation, so my mom will be getting her shot today.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I saw a line from Fauci about mask wearing possibly until 2022.  Couldn't believe it.  Maybe he's being overly cautious or something.

With the reports of the flu being non-existent this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see certain pols calling for mandatory mask usage during certain months even after COVID fades into history.

I'll be voting against those pols at every chance.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

29 minutes ago, Jonger said:

With the reports of the flu being non-existent this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see certain pols calling for mandatory mask usage during certain months even after COVID fades into history.

I'll be voting against those pols at every chance.

Besides offering a semi-effective flu vaccine, we as a society really haven't cared all that much about flu related deaths, even though they usually number in the tens of thousands.  You raise an interesting issue though.  I think it's a hard sell to start making people wear masks for the flu, but I do wonder if some people may decide to wear a mask when they don't feel well.  

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Besides offering a semi-effective flu vaccine, we as a society really haven't cared all that much about flu related deaths, even though they usually number in the tens of thousands.  You raise an interesting issue though.  I think it's a hard sell to start making people wear masks for the flu, but I do wonder if some people may decide to wear a mask when they don't feel well.  

I really hope wearing masks doesn't become mandated by certain states during flu season. I can 100% see it happening here in New York. The governors in every state got so much power given to them during Covid, they basically could do whatever they wanted. That's not how emergency powers were meant to be used.

• Thanks 2

You may see me wearing a mask during flu season even if not mandated.  I care about the health of those around me, family, friends, co-workers, co-shoppers, etc. I don't want to make others sick if I am unknowingly spewing the flu virus (not to mention that it may give me some protection.)

• Like 3

During winter cold, a mask is actually pretty warm when I walk out of a store.  It may suck in July, but it's nice in January.  I can certainly see people wearing one during the cold season.  Now that we are all accustomed to wearing a mask and seeing everyone else wearing one, nobody will feel out of place or embarrassed while wearing one in the future.  It will be very easy to just throw one on if you feel like it may offer protection, without having any worry that others might stare at you and wonder why you are wearing it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

During winter cold, a mask is actually pretty warm when I walk out of a store.  It may suck in July, but it's nice in January.  I can certainly see people wearing one during the cold season.  Now that we are all accustomed to wearing a mask and seeing everyone else wearing one, nobody will feel out of place or embarrassed while wearing one in the future.  It will be very easy for people to just throw one on if they feel like it may offer protection.

I started to type something similar, then deleted it. I found that while exerting myself, such as shoveling snow, I feel better as my mouth stays moist and my lungs feel better.

• Like 1

No one is going to mandate masks for the seasonal flu. The masking orders were issued as an emergency response measure. Once Covid moves into its post-pandemic phase (hopefully by summer with enough vaccinations) there is no reasonable justification for continuing with emergency rules issued for the purpose of controlling the pandemic.

• Like 1

I still have 80 or so KN95 masks left. I'm gonna wear them from now on after the pandemic, especially during the winter months. If I trigger my local tough guys like Jonger, then that's gravy. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I could see some workers in sectors that deal with or work with a lot of people (restaurants, groceries, retail, factories to name a few) wearing masks during cold season. Also it would be a common sense way to protect coworkers from getting a cold if you're well enough to work (no fever) but not 100%. I can also see masks being used regularly for air travel and other mass transit, especially during cold and flu season. There's no way there will be a mandate, but usage will be much more normalized. Also, people that are not well enough to go to work but well enough to work from home will have that option instead of simply taking a sick day.

It's possible that the days of essentially letting the flu spread rampantly in the fall and winter will be a thing of the past, as it will be benefit the economy with much less productivity loss and not stress the health system at times, which does happen in spots during the worst flu seasons, such as 2017-18.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

You may see me wearing a mask during flu season even if not mandated.  I care about the health of those around me, family, friends, co-workers, co-shoppers, etc. I don't want to make others sick if I am unknowingly spewing the flu virus (not to mention that it may give me some protection.)

You like me and most everyone else have concern for others which is why it is a good idea.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stebo said:

You like me and most everyone else have concern for others which is why it is a good idea.

Is not the exposure to various bacteria and viruses throughout history helped our immune systems to improve and combat future illnesses? 

10 hours ago, Stebo said:

Not trying to pick a fight, but why didn't you do this before Covid?  This goes for anyone saying it is such a great idea.  Masks have been around for a long time but suddenly they have become essential?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I could see some workers in sectors that deal with or work with a lot of people (restaurants, groceries, retail, factories to name a few) wearing masks during cold season. Also it would be a common sense way to protect coworkers from getting a cold if you're well enough to work (no fever) but not 100%. I can also see masks being used regularly for air travel and other mass transit, especially during cold and flu season. There's no way there will be a mandate, but usage will be much more normalized. Also, people that are not well enough to go to work but well enough to work from home will have that option instead of simply taking a sick day.

It's possible that the days of essentially letting the flu spread rampantly in the fall and winter will be a thing of the past, as it will be benefit the economy with much less productivity loss and not stress the health system at times, which does happen in spots during the worst flu seasons, such as 2017-18.

Interesting to see this as my Grandmother who was a museum curator for decades had a comment on this with the exact opposite thoughts. When the pandemic faded 100 years ago almost overnight people quit wearing masks. When the Civil War ended many photos were destroyed as people simply wanted to forget what happened and get back to normal (this is what made her job quite difficult in finding these documents/slides). 

The general public has an amazing ability to forget tragedy, and I'd expect this will be the same. Even now we cheer the fact that new hospitalizations is only at 52,000 a day, still a stunning number. Even with masks, I'd say it was not until July that it became completely prevalent throughout the United States. I remember going to the grocery store in May last year and receiving comments for wearing one in line with maybe only 30% of customers actually wearing one. 

I'm interested to see what happens with all this going forward. From a societal perspective I'd say this is easily the most turbulent time since 2001-2002

57 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is not the exposure to various bacteria and viruses throughout history helped our immune systems to improve and combat future illnesses? 

In reality, masks only protect against a very small number of all of the pathogens that a human consumes. That small number includes a lot of the bad ones though. Wearing masks will certainly help prevent person-to-person spread, but I highly doubt it would have any meaningful impact on the evolution of the immune system. 

Edit: More food for thought: Humans aren't the only ones evolving. The more we get exposed to diseases, the more those diseases evolve to infect us more efficiently. Note that efficiency doesn't equal lethality, but still. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Stebo said:

Exactly how it should be, your personal choice to wear or not wear.  

7 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I will never understand how we made wearing a mask during a pandemic that killed 500k+ political. 

There is going to be some pretty interesting social studies over the next few years to figure out wtf happened over the last year.

Just speculation, but I have to think the "severity" of the virus was at exactly the right level to cause an enormous division in how seriously it should be taken. Very, very serious virus for a portion of the population while a large number of symptomless cases also existed.

Add in that we have lived in a binary political environment (see @Stebo still talking about how he will wear a mask next winter because he's not one of those cruel, heartless people that will choose not to) and we have a recipe a lot of conflict. 

I find anti maskers equally as obnoxious as the people who scream at others for not wearing one anytime they are outside, but that's just part of the world we live in I guess. Have to think and hope it will get better.