Chicago Storm

Coronavirus

The good news we are at the point where a good percentage of the most at risk of hospitalization/deaths have at least had 1 dose of the vaccine. Even if another spike occurs mortality rates should be lower. Additionally, new therapies are in late stage trials which may further reduce mortality. Finally getting results of clinical studies with Ivermectin which do suggest benefit there(not just reports of hospitals having success in a non-quality controlled setting). With hospitals less under strain you can target new therapies, even if their supply limited, to higher percentage of patients.

That said we are not out of the pandemic phase of this until we get herd immunity, The virus will certainly become endemic (like the four common coronaviruses), but vaccines in the short-medium term, new treatments, and likely long term tendency of the virus to become less pathogenic over time as it mutates will eventually turn it into a nuisance bug and not much else down the line. We still have to get to that point, unfortunately.

• Like 1

School has been cancelled for the third day in a row.  Tomorrow also seems unlikely.  Heck, maybe even Friday.  With folks socked in due to the weather, we should be knocking this way down locally.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Its ok to admit the pandemic is ending.

The best in the epidemiological game, folks.

• Haha 4

At the current pace, we are a few weeks away from 10% of Indiana having tested positive.  Obviously there were tremendous numbers of cases being missed early on due to testing shortages, with less cases being missed as the months went by.  Hard to get a firm handle on it but if only 1 in 4 cases have been detected since March 2020, it would mean nearly 40% of Indiana has had covid.

17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

At the current pace, we are a few weeks away from 10% of Indiana having tested positive.  Obviously there were tremendous numbers of cases being missed early on due to testing shortages, with less cases being missed as the months went by.  Hard to get a firm handle on it but if only 1 in 4 cases have been detected since March 2020, it would mean nearly 40% of Indiana has had covid.

If that's even close than the increasing roll out of the vaccines in the next few months will hopefully drive  new cases way down. Optimistically if the Pfizer vaccine is somewhat effective against the variants that could help to bring this under control by mid summer

• Like 1

One thing I wonder is where do we go when we have vaccines for everyone but not everyone choses to get the vaccine.  I think we will end up with 20% not taking it for whatever reason (valid or not).  I really am hoping to not start the fall school year with mandatory masks.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

One thing I wonder is where do we go when we have vaccines for everyone but not everyone choses to get the vaccine.  I think we will end up with 20% not taking it for whatever reason (valid or not).  I really am hoping to not start the fall school year with mandatory masks.  

It won't matter as herd immunity is 70%. Between infections and vaccines that 20% won't matter.

also vaccines are very very good at preventing severe illness so at that point any vaccinated person should have no fear at getting anything more than a mild illness even if they do get infected

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

I think masks will still be worn through next winter in public settings.

51 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Masks aren't going anywhere for a while.  

I'm sure there are some states that will hang on to the mandates longer than others.  

48 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

It is over

At the very least would think mask usage may come back over the winter due to the success it had with depressing flu and other respiratory viruses. Seems to have caught on in Asia for years now.

11 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I'm sure there are some states that will hang on to the mandates longer than others.  

Agree.  This entire pandemic has seen varying regulations across the states so there's no reason to think every state will end the mask mandates at the same time.