• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

The Buffalo Sabres had double digits people get infected with Covid after the NJ Devils willingly let a player on the ice play who had covid. As a result we were shut down for 2 weeks and our best Defensemen and most in shape player is really suffering from Covid. He won't be back for quite awhile...Really goes to show you no one is too in shape for covid. Hopefully he doesn't have permanent damage.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Hospitalizations are right around where they were at the peak of the summer surge, but things feel different now.  We have made a lot of progress coming down from the peak earlier in winter.

Any explanations for this precipitous drop? Would vaccines given the amt administered be having this profound an effect? Would think fairly large percentage still susceptible to infection combined with the seasonal component (still winter)favoring more infections. Yet here we are with substantial declining numbers. Most recent lockdowns didn't seem to alter most people's behavior. Lots of restaurants stayed open in defiance of orders. If anything covid fatigue has set in and more are just living their lives from what I've observed.

26 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Any explanations for this precipitous drop? Would vaccines given the amt administered be having this profound an effect? Would think fairly large percentage still susceptible to infection combined with the seasonal component (still winter)favoring more infections. Yet here we are with substantial declining numbers. Most recent lockdowns didn't seem to alter most people's behavior. Lots of restaurants stayed open in defiance of orders. If anything covid fatigue has set in and more are just living their lives from what I've observed.

My guess would be a combination of factors, because I don't think enough people have been vaccinated yet to entirely explain such a sharp drop.  So I'd say it is a combination of vaccines, high numbers of covid infections (thus yielding some temporary immunity in many individuals), getting past the holiday gatherings, and maybe just some other dynamics with the virus.  I am still expecting to see the rate of decline slow down at some point, especially with case numbers, since it's going to be a while until a lot of people can get a vaccine.   

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

My guess would be a combination of factors, because I don't think enough people have been vaccinated yet to entirely explain such a sharp drop.  So I'd say it is a combination of vaccines, high numbers of covid infections (thus yielding some temporary immunity in many individuals), getting past the holiday gatherings, and maybe just some other dynamics with the virus.  I am still expecting to see the rate of decline slow down at some point, especially with case numbers, since it's going to be a while until a lot of people can get a vaccine.   

I would agree on rate of decline being likely to slow down. Selection pressure is going to really start to favor any more transmissible variants, plus more restrictions are started to be relaxed. Been keeping an eye on Europe. France/Italy have had cases stabilize and numbers are starting to go back up in central Europe. The UK Variant is believed to be a factor in that, particular new spikes in places like Czech Republic. Am still watching Florida as a bit of a bellwhether here in the U.S. given their apparent higher percentage of the variant compared to other areas of the country.

Day 8 of nasty symptoms for me, I’m only 20 and it’s been pretty awful. Started to feel better Saturday but then woke up Sunday with a horrible stomach flu type thing, have heard of that happening to a few people. Just praying tomorrow will be the start of feeling better. 

• Sad 7

22 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

Day 8 of nasty symptoms for me, I’m only 20 and it’s been pretty awful. Started to feel better Saturday but then woke up Sunday with a horrible stomach flu type thing, have heard of that happening to a few people. Just praying tomorrow will be the start of feeling better. 

Yikes :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NEILwxbo said:

Hope you get well soon 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The J&J single shot will significantly accelerate the vaccination process. I agree I am also getting tired about hearing about every new "variant". That all generally have similar mutations anyways.

Last CDC update now shows over 600k excess deaths in the past year. Worst states per population: NY (State), NJ, MS, AL, AZ (All >0.25% of population). 0.35% in NYC.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

This a a good site that aggregates available worldwide excess mortality data. Shows that trying to compare countries based on official numbers alone can be ill advised. Good evidence of significant under counting in many places due to either lack of testing (e.g. Mexico), collapse of health care infrastructure (e.g, Ecuador), stricter criteria for classifying deaths (Russia), or likely suppression of data (Belarus, Egypt, Uzbekistan).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Got the 1st shot last Saturday.  Didn't get any symptoms, just a slightly sore shoulder the next day.  Shot #2 scheduled for March 20th.

Just got my second shot. The first was the same as you with a slightly sore shoulder. Still waiting to see if I have any symptoms with this one.

Have my first shot scheduled next Thursday morning, right before a set of 7 midnight shifts. And then my coworker and midnight shift partner has his second shot the next morning. Our MIC is on standby for possibly needing to cover one or two shifts.

From reading the articles about the greatly amplified immune response to the vaccine among covid survivors, and also a friend who had covid about a week after me having had pretty intense symptoms from the first shot, I'm hoping it's not too crazy for me. That said, even though there's some experts saying covid survivors may not need to get the second shot, I currently plan to get the 2nd shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Got the 1st shot last Saturday.  Didn't get any symptoms, just a slightly sore shoulder the next day.  Shot #2 scheduled for March 20th.

How are you and others, close to my age (46), or even younger, getting the shot so early?  My 76-year-old mom still hasn't been able to get an appointment.  I don't expect to be able to get one for a few months.