• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

This thing is wrapping up in Michigan.

Virtually everything is opening up again this week or next in Michigan.

We were there two months ago, hopefully you're right and things go well. Cases here exploded after about a month of being fully open. Had to take multiple steps backwards because the hospitals got under stress from the surge in sick people.

Just opening everything doesn't mean it's "wrapping up".

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

We were there two months ago, hopefully you're right and things go well. Cases here exploded after about a month of being fully open. Had to take multiple steps backwards because the hospitals got under stress from the surge in sick people.

Just opposing everything doesn't mean it's "wrapping up".

It isn't wrapping up, numbers are going down in the state but schools just opened up and some will be in person. So it is very early to spike the ball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems like that Sturgis motorcycle rally has kicked off South Dakota's biggest outbreak of the pandemic. The 7 day moving average at the start of the rally was 84 and has more than tripled in the last three+ weeks to just shy of 300.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The average has dipped a little under 1000 per day over the past week, but it is a painfully slow drop.

I just mean every Tuesday to Friday is still over 1000 and Saturdays are 950 ish, then two real low days balance it down.

New York City is delaying in person school.  With how they have contained the virus around there, if they can't go back, that's a real problem.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

If Nancy feels safe, so do I.

It was dumb but expected. However of all the things to worry about I think the actual pandemic is more important than Pelosi getting a haircut.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 5

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Was there a case dump or something in Illinois?  5500 newly reported...

Yes, There was a backlog of cases which resulted in a data dump.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:13 PM, madwx said:

The ride never ends

It's the Chinese export that just keeps on giving. Was unemployed by COVID. Now I'm employed by COVID. As The World Turns..

• Like 1

Spike in the next couple days may look worse than usual since we are coming off of a holiday weekend.  

On the plus side, at least Jonger can work on those guns.

• Haha 3

Had a scare with the virus. Got tested because of a 104F fever, terrible body pain, very bad sore throat, etc. Luckily no chest or breathing problems. The test came back negative yesterday evening luckily. Whatever I have though has worn me down to dirt. I've been doing my best with mask wearing and avoiding high risk areas. This whole situation is serious.

2 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Had a scare with the virus. Got tested because of a 104F fever, terrible body pain, very bad sore throat, etc. Luckily no chest or breathing problems. The test came back negative yesterday evening luckily. Whatever I have though has worn me down to dirt. I've been doing my best with mask wearing and avoiding high risk areas. This whole situation is serious.

Strep throat? I’ve had those symptoms with strep throat before. One way to tell the difference between a sore throat from strep throat and from other illnesses such as a cold is with strep you won’t get any kind of congestion in your nose/lungs. I learned that tidbit from a doctor one time when I had it about 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd chime in with an update on my fiancee and I. We are both pretty well recovered. I had an occasional dry cough and near-total loss of taste and smell that persisted for about two weeks, but otherwise felt mostly fine except for one day where I felt not even really sick, just kind of "bleh." If I had somehow not been aware of the pandemic, I would have thought nothing about continuing to go to work.

My fiancee's case was certainly much worse than mine but far from among the worst.  She had a few days where she barely had the energy to move, eat or drink. She actually had become severely dehydrated by the time I took her to the hospital because as she said, "it hurt to drink water." A chest X-ray found she did have pneumonia in both lungs, but she never had severe respiratory distress (thankfully). She also reported some GI issues.

Her cough was more intense than mine, but really only showed up when she laid down (and made it impossible for both of us to sleep). In our experience and in descriptions from others I've read, the COVID cough has a distinctive "barking" quality to it as you reflexively try to suck air in after each one. People who are having severe cases/going into respiratory distress reportedly can barely get a sentence out between fits.

It took her about a week after coming home from the hospital before she got her appetite back, and she still gets winded more easily than before when we go for walks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, roardog said:

Strep throat? I’ve had those symptoms with strep throat before. One way to tell the difference between a sore throat from strep throat and from other illnesses such as a cold is with strep you won’t get any kind of congestion in your nose/lungs. I learned that tidbit from a doctor one time when I had it about 20 years ago.

The strep tests came back negative, but both my primary doctor and Beaumont hospital urgent care suspected it was probably still strep or a similar bacterial infection. I was tested for strep on Friday, and told that if I didn't improve in a couple days to start antibiotics. Long story short, I only got worse, so I started the antibiotics on Monday. They seem to have really helped, so I assume it did end up being strep or a similar bacterial infection. I'm not 100% better, but I'm way improved over how I was on Monday. 

Was reading the Detroit Free Press and see that good ole Gov. Whitmer is mandating masks for organized sports? I'm convinced this woman is insane lol. This is why I don't put much stock in what DC has done with the response to this pandemic, these governors can do whatever they want. Feel bad for all the Michiganders at this point, while being wide open sure has its downside, so does being incredibly restrictive. At some point I hope these Midwest states realize their plans are like painkillers, sure it'll help one thing, but it's going to have tons of side effects.

Heck my one buddy who works at Ford R&D has been telling me that he plays golf 5 days a week and takes a vacation every two months just to get out of the state and be able to do regular things. It seems to be a common theme with friends and family in Michigan & Ohio, hardcore cabin fever over the restrictions

• Like 2

It is not all sports that are mandated only the ones with close contact. To be honest those sports shouldn't even be played at a state level right now. There is way too much risk for kids to pass on the virus that can't be controlled or checked like at a professional level. 

And there are very few things restricted right now. Gyms opened up this week but people have to wear a mask, anyone complaining at this point is only complaining because they have to wear a mask for certain things. Mind you there are plenty of outdoor activities where you don't need to wear a mask at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It is not all sports that are mandated only the ones with close contact. To be honest those sports shouldn't even be played at a state level right now. There is way too much risk for kids to pass on the virus that can't be controlled or checked like at a professional level. 

And there are very few things restricted right now. Gyms opened up this week but people have to wear a mask, anyone complaining at this point is only complaining because they have to wear a mask for certain things. Mind you there are plenty of outdoor activities where you don't need to wear a mask at all.

I've been at the gym a bunch of times already. The mask isn't too big of a deal for lifting weights but doing anything high intensity and it is extremely difficult. So I've been doing my cardio outside/home and weight lifting at the gym.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've been at the gym a bunch of times already. The mask isn't too big of a deal for lifting weights but doing anything high intensity and it is extremely difficult. So I've been doing my cardio outside/home and weight lifting at the gym.

Which is fine, it is not perfect but a place where there is a lot of heavy breathing and close contact you kind of want that mask on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Which is fine, it is not perfect but a place where there is a lot of heavy breathing and close contact you kind of want that mask on.

Crossfit gyms are open in Ohio... lots of heavy breathing but everyone is spaced apart. Even with the spacing everyone tends to congregate together. There are several doctors and surgeons at the gym every morning -- who never wear masks. It has been open since May and not one positive case. I tend to use the doctors/surgeons as a barometer for my concern level. Not one of them is overly concerned about COVID. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1