Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

All evidence points to the mortality rate being substantially higher than the flu. 

The reason for these drastic social distancing measures isn't to prevent the spread.  That is inevitable.  I've read estimates up to 80 percent of the population will be infected eventually.  The social distancing is in place to slow the spread so that the healthcare system can cope with those who will unfortunately need hospitalization, to build capacity (beds, ventilators, etc), and to maybe develop a vaccine or effective treatment plan.  It's about buying time.  There's no way that will be accomplished in a couple of weeks. 

How is 80% going to get it if everyone is stuck at home with nowhere to go ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Snownado said:

How is 80% going to get it if everyone is stuck at home with nowhere to go ?

Because we’re not all going to be stuck at home indefinitely. The 80% (but likely lower since it’s UP TO 80%) is probably over a span of like 18 months or so.

• Like 1

Im cautiously optimistic Canada will escape this. Most of our cases are imported and with the light lockdown in place I find it hard to believe Ontario will follow NYS. Though I heard on a local tv news program that 500K Ontarians will be arriving back in Ontario in the next few days from the US/World. All it takes is a few clusters and Ontario loses control as well. 

Hope everyone stays safe.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Castaway said:

Lol at people looking to point and blame their political rivals.

This was going to set fire whether you were skeptical or not. 

Move along. 

I’m skeptical that my house will set fire, so I don’t have fire alarms or extinguishers. 

• Like 1

There is a lot of blame to go around on leaders in this country and elsewhere.  The original sinner in all of this is China because of their disgraceful coverup of what was going on there before they couldn't hide it anymore.

Been doing a good job of keeping politics out of this thread for the most part and would like that to continue.  Whatever you think of the response to this pandemic or anything else, we have a chance to decide our path in less than 8 months, like we do every 4 years.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Yes China screwed up.  To bad nobody was interested in taking notes as to what China was was doing to fix their mistakes, to stop the spread, and save their people. 

it was only stopped in it's tracks in china when they literally started welding doors shut on people's houses. A more realistic example for the US would be south korea where they ramped up testing right away and controversially forced infected people to submit themselves to tracking via their cell phones to ensure they were quarantining themselves 

• Like 1

Coming from a frontline a job: grocery supplier to the Midwest. 

We are absolutely tired. Things seem totally surreal right now to us. I just pulled another 16 hour shift, 60 hours this week, and yes I have another 16 hour shift tomorrow, so putting my total at 76 hours. 

some of us broke down and cried today out of frustration and anger, the work and product billing overload just doesn’t stop. Many of us finally had to tap out and go home. 

To all the essential jobs staying open, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Third death in Indiana with less than 100 confirmed cases in the state.  That is the same number of deaths as Michigan, which has confirmed over 550 cases.  I just read a story that the husband of the woman in critical condition that I posted about a few days ago has been having symptoms and even he has not been tested yet.  You'd think he of all people would be able to get one.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Coming from a frontline a job: grocery supplier to the Midwest. 

We are absolutely tired. Things seem totally surreal right now to us. I just pulled another 16 hour shift, 60 hours this week, and yes I have another 16 hour shift tomorrow, so putting my total at 76 hours. 

some of us broke down and cried today out of frustration and anger, the work and product billing overload just doesn’t stop. Many of us finally had to tap out and go home. 

To all the essential jobs staying open, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

No, thank you for being there for the rest of us. What you guys are doing is more than any of us can imagine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

So when does the stress on "essential workers" start to weaken to supply chain if this is going to go on for months?  This is the time to unite.

Thats a great question. The essential workers are going to become more susceptible to illness as long hrs and contiuned stress of the job put a strain on them. Those who may have to "lockdown" for a time, what happens to there mental health? Cabin fever on steroids coupled with the constant news of more cases and deaths, not to mention loss of income,are we looking at a jump in suicides? Just a lot of unknowns out there right now

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

So when does the stress on "essential workers" start to weaken the supply chain if this is going to go on for months?  This is the time to unite.

Yes, I do hear that help is coming. Many grocers and distributors are hiring 1000s right now, which should cut some of the strain.

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

And if you remove the "olds" the survival rate is likely closer to 98%. As a cancer survivor, I'll take those odds any day of my life! Idk where Peeps come from, thinking life's a guaranteed 100% survival rate kind of journey? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Im cautiously optimistic Canada will escape this. Most of our cases are imported and with the light lockdown in place I find it hard to believe Ontario will follow NYS. Though I heard on a local tv news program that 500K Ontarians will be arriving back in Ontario in the next few days from the US/World. All it takes is a few clusters and Ontario loses control as well. 

Same. Stay home, stay safe. I feel confident in our low(er) numbers, but that could all change on a dime at any moment. The harsh reality is this virus is contagious and the longer we continue on "light lockdown" the more cases we're going to see popup. 

Look at the stunt toyota tried to pull yesterday. This is how it happens 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

And if you remove the "olds" the survival rate is likely closer to 98%. As a cancer survivor, I'll take those odds any day of my life! Idk where Peeps come from, thinking life's a guaranteed 100% survival rate kind of journey? :rolleyes:

I hear ya but the "olds"?  Lmao,  I'm a year away from being the "olds".  :oldman:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Toronto's chief medical officer of health said there's almost certainly evidence of community transmission now.  The gentleman who died in Halton contracted in through community transmission too. 

So, yeah, be optimistic but also be vigilant. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Toronto's chief medical officer of health said there's almost certainly evidence of community transmission now.  The gentleman who died in Halton contracted in through community transmission too. 

So, yeah, be optimistic but also be vigilant. 

We have confirmed community transmission in KW too