• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

There is some pretty detailed info on the newspaper website about one of the local Lake county IN cases, much of which is from this sick woman's husband since medical officials are obviously limited with what they can release.  She wasn't feeling well so she went to urgent care about a week ago, tested negative for flu and was diagnosed with a kidney infection and sent home.  Then went to the ER on Saturday with an increasing fever and shortness of breath.  Condition quickly worsened and then she was tested and came back positive on Monday night.  Currently in critical condition.  

• Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

475 new deaths in Italy, worst day yet and why it is important to not overwhelm the system because some of those people who have died would have otherwise survived.  

Unbelievable. I hadn't heard anything from there today yet and had the slightest bit of optimism things had leveled off. Just horrific. 

Anyone who thinks this whole thing is BS should be made to watch what is happening in Italy. 

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

475 new deaths in Italy, worst day yet and why it is important to not overwhelm the system because some of those people who have died would have otherwise survived.  

To put that in weather-speak, that's more than died in the April 27, 2011 tornado outbreak; or in any Atlantic hurricane since at least 1950 except for Katrina, Maria and (possibly) Dorian.

A couple things we do have in our favor compared to Italy is that the US has a lower percentage of elderly people and overall, our population is much more spread out than Italy.  The downside is that our response has been much more patchwork and inconsistent state by state so far.  Because of that and when the restrictions are inevitably relaxed or people just get tired of following them, we may be playing whack a mole with hotspots/clusters for a while.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Oh crap, the Big three shutting down? This will have a disastrous economic effect around here

Yeah it is not good, the downturn in 08-09 is what put this area into a depression, not a recession. We are just now getting back to what we were in 06-07.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/ford-gm-and-fiat-chrysler-will-close-all-factories-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-ap-reports

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Oh crap, the Big three shutting down? This will have a disastrous economic effect around here

Hopefully only until the end of the month from what I have read.  We've been directed to cancel our worship services here at least through Easter.  Large churches can use live streaming.  I'm sending e mail devotions to parishioners and calling seniors asking if they need groceries, things from the drug store, etc.   Tough not being able to visit parishioners in hospital or nursing home but relying on phone calls.

Finally off work, clocked out today with 44 hours already lol. Very thankful for a day off tomorrow, I am so wiped out, just grabbed me a dominos pizza on the way home, cooking was the last thing I wanted to do.

Whats going on in Italy is truly horrifying, and even under constant quarantine, cases spreading like wildfire. Be kind, check on your neighbor, and stay positive everyone!

As for now, I am heading to bed, really looking forward to this 8-10 hours of sleep. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Finally off work, clocked out today with 44 hours already lol. Very thankful for a day off tomorrow, I am so wiped out, just grabbed me a dominos pizza on the way home, cooking was the last thing I wanted to do.

Whats going on in Italy is truly horrifying, and even under constant quarantine, cases spreading like wildfire. Be kind, check on your neighbor, and stay positive everyone!

As for now, I am heading to bed, really looking forward to this 8-10 hours of sleep. 

What are the exact specifics in Italy....Death toll? Cases? Total population?  I've heard it's really bad, but have not seen hard numbers. 

29 minutes ago, Chambana said:

As others have said, thanks for all your hard work maintaining our food supply line.  It takes all of us in this fight.

Yeah people are still working here in SC, just most of the service/retail industry is closed.  I'm working from home now (supply chain analyst) and we've got a contingency list where if any of us are hospitalized/die we take over their responsibilities in the meantime.  Crazy times we're living in but it was a matter of time until a virus turned into a global pandemic 

34 minutes ago, Baum said:

What are the exact specifics in Italy....Death toll? Cases? Total population?  I've heard it's really bad, but have not seen hard numbers. 

As of today, 34,713 overall cases and 2,978 deaths.

Similar to other places, they are only testing those at higher risk and that have more significant symptoms...so the realistic case total is likely much higher.

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

As of today, 34,713 overall cases and 2,978 deaths.

Similar to other places, they are only testing those at higher risk and that have more significant symptoms...so the realistic case total is likely much higher.

thank you.

3 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Hopefully only until the end of the month from what I have read.  We've been directed to cancel our worship services here at least through Easter.  Large churches can use live streaming.  I'm sending e mail devotions to parishioners and calling seniors asking if they need groceries, things from the drug store, etc.   Tough not being able to visit parishioners in hospital or nursing home but relying on phone calls.

I attend a large church which had already started broadcasting the services long before this happened.  That's a great ministry for taking care of the high risk elderly. At least you're reaching out. I hope you're right about possibly only a couple of weeks. As Stebo mentioned above, the Detroit area was completely devastated back in '09.