Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 13 threat

ORH_wxman

57 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

You're definitely going to need to play with fire to win with this one. Higher QPF is south where there's more mix and rain, lower QPF to the north where it's all snow.

You are assuming all 10:1 ratios even across the board.  There are signs that some SSW to ENE type axis up in far NNE that takes 0.3-0.4” of QPF and piles up 6-7” while you are getting 8:1 ratios on 0.7-0.8” QPF.  

I’m not big on banking on ratios but the GFS has some decent UVVs in that H7-H5 mid-level magic zone where the DGZ is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You’ll meh your way to another 4 or 5 again. Congrats. Been a good winter there 

Nah.  Not with this one.  Very marginal airmass.     
The “good winter” has given me a pack that is around 2-4”.  Pretty tenuous. 
Very close to my house towns are as brown and bare as in South Weymouth. 

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You’ll meh your way to another 4 or 5 again. Congrats. Been a good winter there 

lol there is such a dripping animosity as you head south in latitude towards those north of them...except for Ginxy, haven’t seen a salty post out of him and probably never will.  

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol there is such a dripping animosity as you head south in latitude towards those north of them...except for Ginxy, haven’t seen a salty post out of him and probably never will.  

It’s not like it has been deep winter here.  Manky thin cover.  An occasional refresher but quickly looks ugly

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s not like it has been deep winter here.  Manky thin cover.  An occasional refresher but quickly looks ugly

Only in the last few days have we gotten deep winter too.  You had more snow than me for December. 

It’s like in 2011-12 folks thought it was deep winter up here because we got at least some snow, but it was still the 2nd worst in the last 20 years.  

When you have zero snow though, I guess even consistent ground cover and just flakes flying is deep winter. 

Relative to normal though neither of us can touch what the full ratter folks have amassed in positive snow departures since 2012.  But in warm shitty winters we should have more serviceable winter weather.  

Anyway, time for the panic thread.  Back to the upcoming storm discussion....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well he enjoys tracking snow for other areas more than he does for his BY. 99% of posters here care about only their local environs and find it interesting , yet somewhat upsetting when other areas receive it and they don’t , especially when it’s happened like that all winter. There’s only so much heartbreak one take. . Tip is a great example of this . 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Not salty at all. I’ve seen that same post like half a dozen times this winter. Lots of “sell” followed by several inches of snow.

Im not mad, that area looks fine for 2-4”, that’s my take anyway 

I guess we’ll see what the rest of the guidance looks like, but may have to watch nrn MA near NH and esp by hunchie late tomorrow night and early Thursday. Bit of a moisture blob heading in. Could be a decent thump. Not going to stay up, but curious what the globals and HREF look like later on.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess we’ll see what the rest of the guidance looks like, but may have to watch nrn MA near NH and esp by hunchie late tomorrow night and early Thursday. Bit of a moisture blob heading in. Could be a decent thump. Not going to stay up, but curious what the globals and HREF look like later on.

If we had another couple degrees of antecedent airmass this would be a lot more interesting for the pike region. The lack of high is the big thing though. This really isn’t that different aloft for antecedent airmasses than a system like 2/6/14. But that had a high in a good spot. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2014/us0205.php#picture