Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

6 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Ricky was talking about this yesterday but per meso the 925 freezing line is outrunning the 850, which actually looked like it retreated some.  Think it was the NAM that was showing this yesterday and also the very dry air from the surface to a couple thousand feet.  Gonna completely bust on the 1-3 inches of snow here.  Looks like pinger town to ZR to cold wet muck.  Just starting to get some very fine liquid/nano pingers here freezing as it lands.  Going to be a weird next few hours around here.  

lol @ nano pingers. :lol:

HRRR showing nice bonus snows for the east half of IA into far western IL tomorrow morning.  Hoping to squeeze out a good half inch to inch out of that to induce ground blizzard around midday. :popcorn:

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

lol @ nano pingers. :lol:

HRRR showing nice bonus snows for the east half of IA into far western IL tomorrow morning.  Hoping to squeeze out a good half inch to inch out of that to induce ground blizzard around midday. :popcorn:

It's the middle of January and we're talking 1 inch ground blizzards and nano pingers, what a pattern lol

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

LOT just put out nice update. Expecting 5-6 north of i88 before changeover 

there was an 8:56 update that is now gone 

Update is still there for me.

Could've upgraded to a warning imo, at least for the ice around/south of I-80.  Not necessarily a clear cut thing but there should be some quarter inch amounts and the wind will add to the impact.  The negative factor for upgrading in an uncertain situation like this is that it is an overnight icing event and if a tree falls in the forest...

• Haha 2

Just now, Hoosier said:

Update is still there for me.

Could've upgraded to a warning imo, at least for the ice around/south of I-80.  Not necessarily a clear cut thing but there should be some quarter inch amounts and the wind will add to the impact.  The negative factor for upgrading is that it is an overnight icing event and if a tree falls in the forest...

The update is gone for me.  Have much bigger flakes now prolly transitioning to a mix 

HRRR and RAP still bullish on fairly significant ice from N Central IL into N Western and N IN. Meso observations showing those areas have a while to go to recover above freezing. Perhaps they're onto something.  Air temp here has actually dropped 3 degrees in the last 2 hours to 29 with light easterly yet dry wind.  That won't bode well as this next band of heavier precip moves NE through Indy.  My ground temps are still 27/28 degrees.  Potential for sub freezing ground temps longer than forecast.

The photo is from about a half hour ago. Really came down under that band from the south. Still snowing at a good clip. Windy too. Correlation coefficient indicates some pingers already trying to mix in just to my south. Up to 2.8 inches. Backyard thermometer shows 27 degrees and that usually runs a degree higher than what’s reported at the airport.  Fun storm to track!

22610F44-F09D-4EAC-A0FF-7CDDAEE3F8BD.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1