• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WXMal4
    Newest Member
    WXMal4

January 17-18 Winter Storm

First pingers of the night. Measured 3.5 inches in a few places (not sure how accurate). Expecting to wake up to a nice crust/frosting of ice on top of the snow. 

On a happy note, I finally got snow for sledding with my daughter. Now it may just get too windy and cold! ;-)

• Like 2

All snow here right now. I have probably got 3-4" although its hard to tell with all the drifting going on. It's been a very pretty snowstorm. So far so good for MKX's prediction of 5-6". In fact if rates continue like this I wouldn't be surprised if we go a little over. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toro99 said:

Can anyone who is more knowledgeable than me, explain why GRR went with an advisory versus a warning? Most models have a lot of their CWA receiving 6 inches or more in 12 hours tonight, and certainly 8 inches plus in 24 hours when the lake affect kicks in later on Saturday.   Add that to the fact that this is going to be the most significant snow we’ve had all year, wouldn’t be prudent to go with a warning? Is it the timing of the snow, overnight? Or is it just GRR being GRR? Thanks in advance .

wouldn’t be prudent to go with a warning?

Correlation coefficient was right. Flipped to freezing rain/sleet mix. About to hit another lull in the action. Should keep ice accretion in check for now. 

Have switched to freezing rain.  Based on models and adjusting for current obs, don't expect to go above freezing until around 10z at the earliest and could be lingering around 32-33 for a while.  

OT but St. John's, Newfoundland has received ~30" at last obs. Crazy blizzard going on there rn. 

I can't imagine a storm like that in our region. It would be crazy!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Have switched to freezing rain.  Based on models and adjusting for current obs, don't expect to go above freezing until around 10z at the earliest and could be lingering around 32-33 for a while.  

As per Wunderground radar it looks like the freezing rain line is still south of you in Central Illinois. Must be localized? 

Just now, ChiTownStorm11 said:

hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_5.png

HRRR shows a changeover back to snow IMBY, will be interesting to see if that pans out.

Looks about right, the good ole MKE warm tongue.

Flakes have started in Berkley. Ready for that first weenie band to roll in. HRRR has slowly ticked amounts up a little and delayed the onset of the wintry mix. All systems are a go.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Been really dry here the last 90 minutes or so.  Spitting occasional freezing drizzle/nano pingers if I could even call it that.  Temps have held steady around 29 air, 27 ground.  Quite surprised how long this low level dry air has held on but with no decent precip guess it's hard to saturate. Seems every return that passes over me starts producing farther to the north.  I'll take it over slipping sliding mess. 

Finally above freezing here. We have had freezing rain since 10am.. It's messy and the trees are really sagging. Still have power for now. 

Snow turned to a mix about 1.5-2 hours ago, then quickly to FZRA.

Have had FZRA since then, with a solid glaze already.

34 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The sleet over here has changed to freezing rain.  There's a nice glaze on top of the snow/sleet.

Same here.  Have beefy returns overhead again and it's a driving rain (freezing) with no sleet.  Temp up to 28, but still glazing very efficiently.  

EDIT:  MLI finished with 5.3" of snow.

Haven't gotten anything the last few hours and I'm not complaining lol.  Maybe this dry air pocket can hang on through the cold rain that's forecast.  Wishful thinking :weenie:

14 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The radar is in ? mode down in ILX

Screenshot_20200118-011628_RadarScope.thumb.jpg.386d76eb07da5be4dc3f114c84211b5c.jpg

I'm curious how accurate this precip depiction algorithm is. Currently says 33 here but airport reporting freezing rain. Surface freezing line definitely making good progress north now