• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    McHenrySnow
    Newest Member
    McHenrySnow

January 17-18 Winter Storm

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually looks ok here in Southern Michigan. Looks like quite a thump of heavy snow before turning to rain, but a lot of the precip falls as snow. If anything id say trends are better today.

Garbage storm not worth wasting time onB)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Pretty robust low level jet and it has a significant orthogonal component to the isotherms.  So basically, do not be surprised if the precip type transition zones get north quicker than the models.

gfs_mslp_uv850_us_12.thumb.png.4f1e9e15ce0f68ade56b064003dfde07.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I know everyone is shocked, but this one is trending crappier for about everyone. 

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually looks ok here in Southern Michigan. Looks like quite a thump of heavy snow before turning to rain, but a lot of the precip falls as snow. If anything id say trends are better today.

Seems that way, doesn't it? 

• Like 1

I'd go a tenth or two of ice accretion around here.  The thermal profiles will be in a period of rapid transition and becoming more marginal, plus steadier rates at times won't accrete as well so have a hard time seeing more than that at least for now.   

Looks like a mess if any of that ice materializes. I'm keeping my eye on the lake-effect potential IMBY as this system pulls away. Lake-effect: The last hope I have for a decent winter. 

• Like 2

I see my local office is getting ready to let the public down again haha. Hard to believe that graphic isn’t from a previous system - because I see no models showing what they’re predicting. 

015200A6-55B4-4358-93BD-3794A1368215.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

I see my local office is getting ready to let the public down again haha. Hard to believe that graphic isn’t from a previous system - because I see no models showing what they’re predicting. 

It's kind of an odd graphic, it's just talking about the chance of 6" or more of snow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think some of the models are having issues figuring out the saturation.  Hence the odd looking strips/blotches of snow.  

• Like 1

LOT will continue to pay for Halloween storm till around St. Patricks Day. There's nothing quite as useless as Halloween and Easter snow

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

LOT will continue to pay for Halloween storm till around St. Patricks Day. There's nothing quite as useless as Halloween and Easter snow

You can say that about any snow then.

We track it, it falls/accumulates, then it melts.

11 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Very zen

1 hour ago, Harry Perry said:

It's our office, duh!  Things rarely make sense. If they go conservative, we get nailed. If they go bullish, we get squat.  Basically, it reveals where they think things may be worth a "watch". Up their way ofc. The 2-part nature down our way will guarantee they're thinking no headline incoming for us.

21 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Not referring so much to the tracking of it meteorologically but in recreational use and shelf life. Surely snow falling Dec-Jan has a better chance of sticking around than in May. You know those picturesque winter landscapes Beavis dreams of.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Not referring so much to the tracking of it meteorologically but in recreational use and shelf life. Surely snow falling Dec-Jan has a better chance of sticking around than in May. You know those picturesque winter landscapes Beavis dreams of.

image.jpeg.01cb3f6950a5a73d482b1495381aad83.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2