Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

I guess no pond skating back in 1932? Snoski and weatherpruf would have been jumping off their horses.

just reading this thread you would think the warmest first half of This month has happen in the last decade.

Ok, I am older than a lot of you but not THAT old....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yes, in 170 years of record keeping there have been 5 warmer years, and two of them were from before 1950. Three of the 6 (including this year), were in the past 22 years (1998, 2007, 2019). The prior years were 1907, 1932 and 1950.

Essentially, in the 148 years before 1998, there were 3 warmer years, and in the 22 years since, there were 3 years in the top 6. 

This is all dumb anyway, as the earth has warmed only 1 degree C since 1850, so you will still have great extremes, cold and warm. -5, becomes -3, which is still pretty ****ing cold. Nothing dumber than "it snowed last week, global warming is a hoax"

But how much lee way is there? And you have to look at the planet in total. Just saw a headline that 2019 was the 2nd warmest year. Didn't click on it, too much else going on in the news right now, and i"m tired....

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

100% agree. Perhaps in 50 years our winters will be more like North Carolina.  imo are extremes have gotten more extreme as their seems to me no middle of the road anymore. 

Good point, others have observed that as well, no in-betweens, at least it seems that way.....I've said 8 inches was considered a big snow storm when I was a kid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Good point, others have observed that as well, no in-betweens, at least it seems that way.....I've said 8 inches was considered a big snow storm when I was a kid.

Yep. Historic cold in December 2017 to record snows in March 2018. On the flip side, record warmth in February 2018/2019 and now record warmth in January 2020. 

I would be fool to not say that the earth has warmed. But imo the extremes are most noticeable. 

there are some analogs of hope that did not get started until the second week of February and both ended up with over 40" of snow with major storms in March...both were weak el nino's...1895-96 and 1913-14...1994-95 did not have an inch snowfall until Feb 4th...1877-78 was a one storm winter like 1994-95...two stronger el ninos...as bad as things look today I believe it will snow in February and March...this is analog driven...a major storm would not surprise me in March...to late for some people but it all counts in the end...

53 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. Historic cold in December 2017 to record snows in March 2018. On the flip side, record warmth in February 2018/2019 and now record warmth in January 2020. 

I would be fool to not say that the earth has warmed. But imo the extremes are most noticeable. 

reminds me of the 1930's...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

reminds me of the 1930's...

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

was -15 in 1934 and 106 in  1936 not comparable to those extremes..

the dustbowl really ****ed up the weather for years, the country was so incredibly dry. Dry air is easier to BOTH heat and cool, making extremes more likely. 

Now, we have higher moisture content and extremes, so in reality, our current extremes in terms of heat content are greater. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, psv88 said:

the dustbowl really ****ed up the weather for years, the country was so incredibly dry. Dry air is easier to BOTH heat and cool, making extremes more likely. 

Now, we have higher moisture content and extremes, so in reality, our current extremes in terms of heat content are greater. 

the drought lingered on and off to the summer of 1966...in 1950 the city hired a rain maker in April and it snowed instead...there has and always be wild swings in the weather...maybe not as cold but wild none the less...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the drought lingered on and off to the summer of 1966...in 1950 the city hired a rain maker in April and it snowed instead...there has and always be wild swings in the weather...maybe not as cold but wild none the less...

Unc if that’s what happened, we could use that rain maker right about now. Providing we get him an order of protection from S19 and Dr. Dews. As always ...

1 minute ago, rclab said:

Unc if that’s what happened, we could use that rain maker right about now. Providing we get him an order of protection from S19 and Dr. Dews. As always ...

http://bklyn.newspap...image/52910802/

http://bklyn.newspap.../image/52911107

1950...city hires rain maker...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/06/nyregion/wallace-e-howell-84-dies-famed-rainmaker-in-drought.html

6 minutes ago, uncle W said:

Thank you for the articles. Rest In Peace Doctor Howell, a fine and humble man and Accomplished Scientist. As always....

oday again saw temperatures run above normal. In the Southeast, near record and record warmth prevailed. However, the prevalent pattern that saw New York City record a mean temperature of 42.7° during January 1-15 (6th warmest on record going back to 1869) is coming to a close. Winter has not been canceled.

During the coming weekend, colder temperatures are likely. The temperature could even fall into the teens in New York City on Saturday morning. Afterward, even as moderation should follow for a time, the cold will likely return during the closing week of the month. At that point, the cold could become sustained and it could continue into at least the first week of February.

In addition, on Friday night and Saturday a system could bring New York City and Newark its first measurable snowfall since January 6. Philadelphia could receive its first measurable snowfall since December 11.

Initial snowfall estimates are:

Albany: 3"-6"
Binghamton: 3"-6"
Boston: 2"-4"
Bridgeport: 1"-3"
Islip: 2" or less
New York City: 1"-3"
Newark: 1"-3"
Philadelphia: 1"-3"
Poughkeepsie: 3"-6"
Scranton: 3"-6"

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.5°C for the week centered around January 8. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.27°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.50°C. The remainder of winter 2019-2020 will likely feature neutral-warm to weak El Niño conditions.

The SOI was -11.63 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was +3.622.

The AO had a preliminary average of +3.560 during the January 1-15 period. Since 1950, there were 7 cases when the AO averaged +2.000 or above during that period. Four (57%) saw the AO average for the final 15 days of January average 1.500 or more sigma lower than the January 1-15 figure (1952, 1983, 2005, and 2007) with 1952 and 2005 having a negative average for the latter period. All four had a negative AO average for February. Three (43%) saw smaller declines (1975, 1989, and 1993). All three had February AO averages > 0.000.

No significant stratospheric warming event appears likely through January 23. Wave 2 activity will remain relatively suppressed. Overall, most of the stratosphere is forecast to remain cold on the EPS. 

On January 14, the MJO was in Phase 5 at an amplitude of 3.258 (RMM). The January 13-adjusted amplitude was 3.554.

Since 1974, there were 8 prior cases where the MJO reached Phase 4 at an amplitude of 1.500 or above in the January 5-20 period. In 7 or 88% of those cases, the MJO progressed into Phases 7 and 8. Progression consistent with the historical experience would increase prospects for the development of a colder pattern during late January, which could continue into at least the start of February.

Further, the MJO was in Phase 4 at an amplitude of 2.273 on January 7 with an AO of +4.048. Since 1974, there were three January cases when the MJO was in Phase 4 at an amplitude of 2.000 or above and an AO of +3.000 or above. In all three cases the Week 3-4 period was colder than the Week 1-2 period (smallest change: 2.7° in 1993; largest change 16.8° in 2007). The change in 14-day average temperatures from the above three cases would imply a January 22-February 3 mean temperature of 10°-12° below the January 8-21 mean temperature in New York City. This data implies that the latter two week period would be colder than normal overall.

In addition, an MJO in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 2.000 or above typically sees measurable snowfall consistent with overall January 16-31 climatology. That would imply approximately 2 measurable snow events for Philadelphia to New York City and 2-3 such events for Boston during the closing two weeks of January. The first such event should occur this coming weekend.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, New York City has an implied 84% probability of a warmer than normal January. The monthly mean temperature could finish near 36.0° in New York City.

Finally, the latest C3S multi-system forecast suggests that the February-April temperature will likely be somewhat warmer than normal for the region (despite what could be a colder than normal February) and warmer to perhaps much warmer than normal in Europe where winter has been largely absent.

• Thanks 1

There’s a chance we get a snow squall tomorrow Afternoon once the low off the coast of Maine starts drifting southeast and out to sea! That’s a strong cold front headed towards us setting up for our first decent snowfall this year!
I don’t expect any accumulations just mood graupel-snow shower.

C21E4792-58E5-4204-9DD2-75E44668A848.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

Yup. Drier air leads to more extreme temperatures. The warming oceans have pumped moisture into the atmosphere so our extreme highs are all the more impressive and lows hard to come by.