jburns

Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Our friends in NE GA really taint the generic terrible winter across the sub forum... Thanks for nothing guys!

Was a good winter there.  Two storms over 3”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a stellar winter IMBY.  We moved up to Gaston County from upstate in Jan. 2017 and had a 5" snow the first week we were here.  Rest of that winter was terrible for winter weather.  17/18 we had the snow in December and snow and cold in January so it was a good winter.  18/19 we had 5" of snow in Dec. but nothing rest of winter.  This year nada.  However, this year wasn't as bad as 11/12.  That was the worst winter since I started following winter weather in the SE in the mid 70's and believe me, I have seen some sucky winters.  Not even one thing to track.  I should add that we live in N. Gaston County near Lincoln County line.  Of course, it wouldn't matter if I moved to Syracuse, NY, I seem to cause a snow drought wherever I go these days and heaven forbid I post about a potential event :lol:    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would seem a line of rain/snow showers could make it over the mountains tommorow midday/afternoon, and perhaps a second wave in the evening. Pretty good agreement from the hires models, but probably too warm for anything that does come through to stick. But I know how stingy the mountains are, so probably only light precip, if that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Not a stellar winter IMBY.  We moved up to Gaston County from upstate in Jan. 2017 and had a 5" snow the first week we were here.  Rest of that winter was terrible for winter weather.  17/18 we had the snow in December and snow and cold in January so it was a good winter.  18/19 we had 5" of snow in Dec. but nothing rest of winter.  This year nada.  However, this year wasn't as bad as 11/12.  That was the worst winter since I started following winter weather in the SE in the mid 70's and believe me, I have seen some sucky winters.  Not even one thing to track.  I should add that we live in N. Gaston County near Lincoln County line.  Of course, it wouldn't matter if I moved to Syracuse, NY, I seem to cause a snow drought wherever I go these days and heaven forbid I post about a potential event :lol:    

Lol I'll be in Syracuse next week..I'll post pics!

All in all this winter was a C+ or a B- here. Had a big overperformer of 4+" with not even an advisory until 2" was on the ground. Got to see some more fall on 2 different occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Billypg70 said:

There was snow in the Upstate with this system but it was mostly cold rain literally 33 and rain.

I think most of NW SC from Northern GVL, Pickens, & Oconee counties saw a dusting to as much as a foot in the highest peaks along the border.

Just into NC it was a completely different story.

It was a legitimate blizzard.

WLOS has its tower on Mt Pisgah had over 2 feet.

It was an amazing storm in the extreme western sections of WNC.

Of course JAN of 87 & 88 we had 1 foot plus totals at GSP.

The 88 storm was amazingly cold.

As a senior that year we missed around 2 to 3 weeks of school.

When we finally went back there was still snow on the road.

Oh yes the memories of 88

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tarheelwx said:

North GA and SC Upstate in the sweet spot!

TW

Those numbers are wrong in MBY.

N GVL county had probably 5 or 6 inches fall but the BL was so warm it never accumulated to more than a dusting at a time.

Each time it let up,

Which was often it would melt.

It was a few years maybe a little longer that Burger did the average Snow Fall for the majority of areas in the Carolinas,

Maybe Georgia too???

He had GSP at 6.9???

If that number is accurate I don't think we have had more than that since 14.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Euro/GFS say it will be a bit windy next week when the big storm rides the Apps with the big high offshore, these are always over done but even if you knock off `15-20 mph from these numbers that still puts us in a wind advisory criteria day with gust to 50ish.....

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2020022712_162_480_379.thumb.png.933b02df42e7ab28d6f60c9d424b7a80.png

 

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2020022718_144_480_377.thumb.png.a81a0e5691c83783d466ff792375bb61.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Robert going all gloom and doom on flooding threat next week! Comparing it to the early Feb , historic flooding! On FB

North Georgia Winter weather prediction on FB is still  predicting a blizzard for March. Goes to show you anybody with a FB account can post a model and predict the weather. They have nothing to back it up. Guess the followers will figure it out eventually lol :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Extreme NEGA said:

North Georgia Winter weather prediction on FB is still  predicting a blizzard for March. Goes to show you anybody with a FB account can post a model and predict the weather. They have nothing to back it up. Guess the followers will figure it out eventually lol :whistle:

That guy is a big :weenie:

he supposedly predicted the 2/8 storm way out, according to him! Good job nostradumass!:maprain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mackerel_sky said:

That guy is a big :weenie:

he supposedly predicted the 2/8 storm way out, according to him! Good job nostradumass!:maprain:

They are doing a great job of running the real Mets off that page :facepalm:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I give this winter a solid D-.  I reserve the grade of F exclusively for my least favorite type of winter.  Very cold, very windy but no snow.  The older I get the more I hate that combination.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jburns said:

I give this winter a solid D-.  I reserve the grade of F exclusively for my least favorite type of winter.  Very cold, very windy but no snow.  The older I get the more I hate that combination.

That’s even a better combo in March and April 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jburns said:

I give this winter a solid D-.  I reserve the grade of F exclusively for my least favorite type of winter.  Very cold, very windy but no snow.  The older I get the more I hate that combination.

I give it a solid F. Lack of any real cold. My lowest temp so far has only been 25. And only 1 inch of snow which was gone by morning. Horrible winter. Flowering trees are already blooming here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to note-the largest snows we've had in NC occurred in March and April...

March 13, 1993 and April 2-6, 1987

Not ready to stamp a 'grade' on this winter yet...

I will stamp a 'grade' the first week of April :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WeatherHawk said:

Just to note-the largest snows we've had in NC occurred in March and April...

March 13, 1993 and April 2-6, 1987

Not ready to stamp a 'grade' on this winter yet...

I will stamp a 'grade' the first week of April :)

Let's not forget the 1980 blizzard for the eastern third of NC and VA. But I don't see anything like those storms in our future this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Icy Hot said:

How's this for a midrange forecast? Way too soon to know what happens but fun to look at.

Screenshot_20200301-155347_Chrome.jpg

What time frame is this for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member