Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Really hope the euro is wrong with that backdoor. If I get wedged while ALB and SNE are 60-70F I'll lose it.

Let's be honest...you're getting wedged....your area does at the least excuse imaginable. The meat of this is still 108-120 hours out. The trend today has been a bit more amped, but we've seen so many of these go flatter from D4-5 inward. Plenty of time to turn this into an ice storm there....or at the very least, a 35F rain.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Let's be honest...you're getting wedged....you're area does at the least excuse imaginable. The meat of this is still 108-120 hours out. The trend today has been a bit more amped, but we've seen so many of these go flatter from D4-5 inward. Plenty of time to turn this into an ice storm there....or at the very least, a 35F rain.

Thanks Darth

I browse these threads sometimes and have seen Tip mention the 588 over Miami thing or something like that as having a deleterious effect on shortwaves.  Tip, would it make something as amped up as this rolling through the Plains-Lakes less likely to verify or am I misunderstanding?

floop-ecmwf_full-2020010712.500hv.conus.gif.442023733922aeb3f56336a7b8ab51e1.gif.9b3b3b0e724a044b0065cc6fd50bc295.gif

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Sweaten’ in Boscawen.

Not with my husband.  I can barely get him to put the house at 60.  Always winter here!

Let's just establish that I barely know what I'm talking about, and you are a scientist.  Now that we've done that, haven't we been down this road 2 or 3 times already?  The models look like a washout heatwave and then somehow high pressure strengthens to the north, pushes cold air down and the models start playing catch up.  I guess we'll see.  I do expect 36 fairly warm hours though.

Just now, Dr. Dews said:

I can't remember ski seasons ending this early, even in the 1980s and early 90s. It's crazy

NNE will be fine,  nothing that a few days of snowmaking won’t help remedy.   Areas south of Killington I am a little bit more concerned about,  everything within striking distance of my house is probably going to take a pretty good hit.  B’East, Stratton, Mt Snow.  Sucks, but it won’t be the first time it’s happened and definitely won’t be the last.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

NNE will be fine,  nothing that a few days of snowmaking won’t help remedy.   Areas south of Killington I am a little bit more concerned about,  everything within striking distance of my house is probably going to take a pretty good hit.  B’East, Stratton, Mt Snow.  Sucks, but it won’t be the first time it’s happened and definitely won’t be the last.

If it wasn't for SM , there's basically no skiing this winter

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wachusett has 45-55" of cement as a base.  That ain't budging.  They might drop some trails but will get through it

17 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Not with my husband.  I can barely get him to put the house at 60.  Always winter here!

Let's just establish that I barely know what I'm talking about, and you are a scientist.  Now that we've done that, haven't we been down this road 2 or 3 times already?  The models look like a washout heatwave and then somehow high pressure strengthens to the north, pushes cold air down and the models start playing catch up.  I guess we'll see.  I do expect 36 fairly warm hours though.

You guys in the interior so sensitive and take things way too seriously sometimes. Yes that very well could happen Saturday night and Sunday. But so far the last two days have been pretty intense with troughing in the plains and the response has been to have the warmth surge up the East Coast.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You guys in the interior so sensitive and take things way too seriously sometimes. Yes that very well could happen Saturday night and Sunday. But so far the last two days have been pretty intense with troughing in the plains and the response has been to have the warmth surge up the East Coast.

indeed we are sensitive to CAD

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Whoosh!!!!

47 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I browse these threads sometimes and have seen Tip mention the 588 over Miami thing or something like that as having a deleterious effect on shortwaves.  Tip, would it make something as amped up as this rolling through the Plains-Lakes less likely to verify or am I misunderstanding?

floop-ecmwf_full-2020010712.500hv.conus.gif.442023733922aeb3f56336a7b8ab51e1.gif.9b3b3b0e724a044b0065cc6fd50bc295.gif

Hadley cell, Hadley cell, Hadley cell, Hadley cell, Hadley cell.....