Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix - Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We've been seeing steady light snow with some fresh accumulation in the past hour, but hoping we can get this final band to swing through.

Really nice band starting to sag south towards BTV.  Solid radar signature on that thing.  Mid-level magic.

Dec_17_6pm.gif.3cb86c6b7ef8b50d4329aabcec26a84e.gif

I am close to 6 inches of snow in Plattsburgh. Mid level magic is right!

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I’m excited to see what tomorrow’s light brings to the landscape.  Could be some beautiful scenes with the ice and Christmas lights.

I'm interested to see what the wind brings to the National Grid outage map.   But yes, nothing like sunrise upon glazed landscape. It's awesome and rare!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

First of all i don't want people to have property damage or harm to anyone on this forum or out there in the real world. But what i want or wish or not wish to happen doesn't change anything we all know this.

Snow storms cause millions of dollars in damage, loss of life and property etc but i think we can all agree that we want snow, big snow, recording breaking KUs. So what's the difference? What's the difference between that and ice storms? It's winter weather and it looks "wintry." 

We're all here because we love extreme weather, record highs, record lows, tornadoes, snow storms, wind, squalls whatever. All of those cause damage and loss life, it's just a fact. To me ice storms are no different. It's wintry outside, it's not plain boring rain that i would otherwise forget even happened. Trees are crackling, roads are icy, the grass looks like frozen death spikes and most importantly this will go down in the record books and its something to watch and measure. 

If it's not going to snow i'd rather have ZR then PL. That's just my opinion/perspective on things.

Today was one of those days when you used to watch the weather channel back in the day and it said "Wintry Mix" with that animated graphic icon. We got snow and sleet, then zr then back to sleet then back to zr, mixed both of them again, then all zr. It was a wintry day no doubt.

Oddly temperatures rising again. Back up to 31F and freezing rain.

6a00d8341cdd0d53ef0240a4a4f9fb200c-320wi.png.a34240a7fef725737a2a96a54a20a3da.png

I feel like In winter it’s harder. Last thing I need is power out before an arctic blast with a family. I’m all for getting knocked back into the stone ages from a cat 3. I love damage too,  but it’s like having a devil and an angel on your shoulder telling you what’s right. :lol: 

• Haha 1

It's the old adage....why do people love watching train wrecks (literal) and car crashes. Most people don't want to see anyone hurt, but we just can't look away. It's human nature. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel like In winter it’s harder. Last thing I need is power out before an arctic blast with a family. I’m all for getting knocked back into the stone ages from a cat 3. I love damage too,  but it’s like having a devil and an angel on your shoulder telling you what’s right. :lol: 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In a hurricane it’s usually warm out and you have a lot more hours of daylight.  Losing power in mid winter, no thanks.  That’s a much different animal than in August.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Still warm at the shore, they are getting spared any more damage for the time being. Lots of >=33F readings in interior E CT as well.

SE MA all above freezing. Toasty on the Vineyard & Nantucket.

tempsCapture.thumb.PNG.7bb2287128dd5d31c777b728472464a0.PNG

That hideous SE CT / IJD area shows up clearly. Nothing to stop the warming . So glad we don’t live there

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1