Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I saw you typing then stop . Lots of consternation in that lol. Thanks man

Little worried about the thump being less intense on some of these recent runs but there's been a lot of flip flopping on guidance so it's not worth pulling hair out over.

I'm just going by experience with these...I think you'll prob still make 3" of sleet/snow even on the uglier scenarios so I feel ok going 3-5". There's a chance you rip 1-2" per hour for a brief time which could get you close to that 5 mark....and if not and you flip to sleet pretty quick...you'll prob pound out 1-2" of sleet anyway with maybe a little weenie currier and Ives to end it that may tack on a little bit. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Little worried about the thump being less intense on some of these recent runs but there's been a lot of flip flopping on guidance so it's not worth pulling hair out over.

I'm just going by experience with these...I think you'll prob still make 3" of sleet/snow even on the uglier scenarios so I feel ok going 3-5". There's a chance you rip 1-2" per hour for a brief time which could get you close to that 5 mark....and if not and you flip to sleet pretty quick...you'll prob pound out 1-2" of sleet anyway with maybe a little weenie currier and Ives to end it that may tack on a little bit. 

The next HRRx will be back to 2-4 and the following 3-5 etc. We know how these work. The low dews in NJ are telling 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm on call again and here's what I went with. Really think snow is not the story here in CT, as we go from thump to sleet/ZR. Had to go into more detail in the text forecast as I think the 5" spots are along the border and higher icing amounts are near the southern end of the 2-5" zone.

Still thinking this is a moderate (shoreline) to high (inland) impact event overall due to timing, early morning snow rates, and icing potential. Could have went with three zones, but decided against that. No time or personal map making experience to go with a separate icing map. 

final-call-for-12-17-19-1_orig.jpg

Excellent 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm on call again and here's what I went with. Really think snow is not the story here in CT, as we go from thump to sleet/ZR. Had to go into more detail in the text forecast as I think the 5" spots are along the border and higher icing amounts are near the southern end of the 2-5" zone.

Still thinking this is a moderate (shoreline) to high (inland) impact event overall due to timing, early morning snow rates, and icing potential. Could have went with three zones, but decided against that. No time or personal map making experience to go with a separate icing map. 

final-call-for-12-17-19-1_orig.jpg

go big or go home

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah right after I post that the 00z HRRR goes nuts with a bunch of 6-8" amounts in the SWFE favored locals of RT 2 to SVT/SNH.

hrrr-conus-neng-total_snow_10to1-6630800.thumb.png.a8225f21fa29e139baf12fddb3a30640.png

Yikes.  Should have stayed in GC.  :)

I'm hoping my 10 miles north of the pike falls into Will's north-of-the-pike range.  I'm prepped for a lot of pinging.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Sleet doesn’t get past the pike on the NAM at least through 21 hours.  What a crushing!

It's interesting the P-type progs have it as sleet/rain at 21 hours.  Sleet by 18 hours.  No idea what the algorithms are but they have very little snow.

Looks warmest around 750-800mb?

The low level temps on this are a joke, above freezing at the SFC but like -3C at 925mb.... it's sleet and 32F or less...not rain.

nam-218-all-neng-instant_ptype_3hr-6616400.thumb.png.3c10563a65d2dc92c79577022d82e53a.png