• Member Statistics

    15,844
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NEILwxbo
    Newest Member
    NEILwxbo
    Joined
NYCSNOWMAN2020

WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I have the worst cold or maybe flu in years, and it's absolutely miserable. Definitely scrub your hands to the bone for the foreseeable future.

Feel better Julian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

When am I going to get the red tag?

The banned one? Shortly. Stop the argumentative bs. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kidding aside, is winter over here? I just checked in here for the first time in a few weeks.

I’m hoping that it doesn’t pop in for a visit in four weeks and leave our baseball fields a muddy mess into April.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, North and West said:

Kidding aside, is winter over here? I just checked in here for the first time in a few weeks.

I’m hoping that it doesn’t pop in for a visit in four weeks and leave our baseball fields a muddy mess into April.


.

Based around the melodrama on here from the past couple of weeks I'd say the consensus would be that winter never existed in the first place.

Maybe the real treasure of winter was the friends we made along the way.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nibor said:

Based around the melodrama on here from the past couple of weeks I'd say the consensus would be that winter never existed in the first place.

Maybe the real treasure of winter was the friends we made along the way.

I'll consider that a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nibor said:

Based around the melodrama on here from the past couple of weeks I'd say the consensus would be that winter never existed in the first place.

Maybe the real treasure of winter was the friends we made along the way.

Your last sentence should be enshrined in gold and brought out whenever things become contentious on the forums in the cold season. As always ......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, Juliancolton said:

I have the worst cold or maybe flu in years, and it's absolutely miserable. Definitely scrub your hands to the bone for the foreseeable future.

I get those kinds of allergies like once a week lol.

It needs to be dry or snowy for me not to be on antihistamines.

We have weeds and daffodils around here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If youre going to report posts...might be a good idea to make sure you arent doing the same thing you are reporting others for doing. Just a random thought. :poster_oops:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

By the way, there was a 7.7 earthquake in the Caribbean felt from Miami to Cuba to Jamaica.... WOW!

 

One of the pilots was doing a walk around in Grand Cayman and he said the ground was shaking like crazy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 11:43 PM, Nibor said:

Based around the melodrama on here from the past couple of weeks I'd say the consensus would be that winter never existed in the first place.

Maybe the real treasure of winter was the friends we made along the way.

Winter is far from over imo.....DESPITE...Pathetic snow totals ..for NYC  under 6 in....by March 21 i truly believe total will be close to 25 ...what is my rationale for above  statement. ...no fancy maps  no ..teles..no long term data ..just my gut...we shall see but things have a funny way of changing  just when you think no chance of snow all ..it takes is one 12 to 15 inch snow event to shake things up ..time will tell..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only do I think the weekend storm threat is dead (still giving it until the 12z runs today) but the same goes for winter. We have been chasing fantasy storms and digital snow and I don't expect that to change. If there is any chance to see substantial snow it would probably come at the tail end of February or first two weeks of March like the last couple of years. Doubtful but we'll see.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One reason why not to give up on ‘winter’, from a non-expert to the non-experts.  Allow me to pompously and condescendingly use a sports analogy lol.

The Baltimore Orioles were horrific last year, correctly forecast by the experts. Multiple times though the Orioles had lopsided victories due to a unique confluence of events on a given random day even though the forecast for a lousy season was right on.

Likewise, although we’ve seen winters turn on a dime in a generally unexpected way, that may not turn out to be the case tbis year.  It may end the same way it’s been going - lousy for snow lovers.  But there’s always a chance that a big snowstorm will pop up out of nowhere - looking like not this weekend, but maybe in 3 weeks or a month.  So keep expectations low but don’t give up hope, and let’s see how things work out.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a boring and shitty winter this has been. I usually pull a few all nighters during the winter. 

 

Not even 1 so far this winter

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snow88 said:

What a boring and shitty winter this has been. I usually pull a few all nighters during the winter. 

 

Not even 1 so far this winter

i been tracking west coast winter this season at least something to watch unlike on the east coast...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

One reason why not to give up on ‘winter’, from a non-expert to the non-experts.  Allow me to pompously and condescendingly use a sports analogy lol.

The Baltimore Orioles were horrific last year, correctly forecast by the experts. Multiple times though the Orioles had lopsided victories due to a unique confluence of events on a given random day even though the forecast for a lousy season was right on.

Likewise, although we’ve seen winters turn on a dime in a generally unexpected way, that may not turn out to be the case tbis year.  It may end the same way it’s been going - lousy for snow lovers.  But there’s always a chance that a big snowstorm will pop up out of nowhere - looking like not this weekend, but maybe in 3 weeks or a month.  So keep expectations low but don’t give up hope, and let’s see how things work out.

 

 

Using the same logic, they finished the season well below average for runs and hits for the league even with a few spurts. Same thing for this winter, will likely end up below average based on statistics. another negative is baseball is 162 games long whereas our snow season is less than 90 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Wasn't much of a winter until March of 1888 either.

I know people tend to look at the pictures the day before the blizzard when it was unseasonably mild and assume they were coming out of a mild winter, but the winter as a whole in 1887/88, temperature wise was brutal by our current standards, and snowfall was about average until March.

By month, December 1887 averaged 33.4° with 9.0 inches of snow, January averaged 23.2° (about 16° below what our current January will be) with 11.0 inches of snow. February was somewhat of the head fake month for them, only 3.0 inches of snow but still an average temp of 29.2° for the month.

March 1888 averaged 29.9° which is the only March in 150 years to average below 30° in NYC.

And then there was the Blizzard, officially measured as 21.0 inches in Manhattan yet surrounding areas like Brooklyn measured 36 inches, New Haven 45 and Albany 48 inches. Uncle W has some great photos of Manhattan after the storm. When you look at those photos and when you consider there was no snow cover the day before, there is now way that was 21 inches in Manhattan. It was 30 minimum and probably closer to the 36 measured in Brooklyn. The tradition of under measuring the large storms in NYC began back then IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While this doesn’t diminish in any way the recent era snowfall extremes, many of those older storms were undermeasured by modern standards.

https://news.ucar.edu/14009/snowfall-measurement-flaky-history

Earlier in our weather history, the standard practice was to record snowfall amounts less frequently, such as every 12 or 24 hours, or even to take just one measurement of depth on the ground at the end of the storm.

You might think that one or two measurements per day should add up to pretty much the same as measurements taken every 6 hours during the storm. It’s a logical assumption, but you would be mistaken. Snow on the ground gets compacted as additional snow falls. Therefore, multiple measurements during a storm typically result in a higher total than if snowfall is derived from just one or two measurements per day.

That can make quite a significant difference. It turns out that it’s not uncommon for the snow on the ground at the end of a storm to be 15 to 20 percent less than the total that would be derived from multiple snowboard measurements.  As the cooperative climate observer for Boulder, Colorado, I examined the 15 biggest snowfalls of the last two decades, all measured at the NOAA campus in Boulder. The sum of the snowboard measurements averaged 17 percent greater than the maximum depth on the ground at the end of the storm. For a 20-inch snowfall, that would be a boost of 3.4 inches—enough to dethrone many close rivals on the top-10 snowstorm list that were not necessarily lesser storms!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, doncat said:

We also have to break out of this dry pattern we've  gotten into this month...which looks to continue thru the first week of February.

The thing that amazes me is the lack of cold highs.  January should "always" have some days where highs lock in the 20's, especially in NW Jersey.  It's like the opposite of summer where we don't have crazy highs but warm lows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

The thing that amazes me is the lack of cold highs.  January should "always" have some days where highs lock in the 20's, especially in NW Jersey.  It's like the opposite of summer where we don't have crazy highs but warm lows.

we had i think one in december and one earlier this month i think highs were in the 20;s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

we had i think one in december and one earlier this month i think highs were in the 20;s.

I don't have the stats for my area in particular, but that is still BN.  Late December '17 into January '18 had a decent stretch of cold, and as bad as last year was, January featured more arctic air.

Next week we welcome February with the potential to see 50 or higher for several days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i remember as a kid we would have at least 5 days under 10 degrees in either december or january for lows now we have gone many winters recently where not even one time did we have a low of 10 degrees ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This winter has been really active but the lack of blocking really hurt our chances. Imagine if we had a negative NAO with all the storms we had.

Wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This winter has been really active but the lack of blocking really hurt our chances. Imagine if we had a negative NAO with all the storms we had.

Wow

and i imagine if i was 7 feet tall i would be a basketball star....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.