• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wxRob_Coleman
    Newest Member
    wxRob_Coleman

WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

17 hours ago, RedSky said:

Just when you thought winters couldn't get any worse my favorite star Betelgeuse in Orion is dimming :o

It's still December and we already had a few events.  

A supernova would be cool though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

It's still December and we already had a few events.  

Shame about Betelgeuse though. 

The stars are aligning, the Old Ones are stirring, ref. Necronomicon as always.....

On 12/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, WestBabylonWeather said:

Really took the 2000s and 2010s winters for granted. This sucks. 

And right on par with last year. Freaky. This sucks...I feel you’re pain.

2018 Top

2019 Bottom

0BA21E62-5BC8-4A6E-B33E-0E38F53512FE.jpeg

1 hour ago, 203whiteout said:

2018 Top

2019 Bottom

Even the lake regions are struggling. 

• Sad 1

I honestly hate this type of weather more than anything. Especially when we are getting into the prime snow weeks. Next 6 weeks are our best for getting a sustained snow pack if we will get one this year. I am hoping that next summer is much more drought like if I am still around the area. 

10 hours ago, 203whiteout said:

2018 Top

2019 Bottom

Despite a few changes vs last year, we still arrive at the same destination.

Warm Oct, cold Nov, most of Dec was BN to normal, now Jan could torch and so should Feb before huge blocking sets in for March/April. 

MJO now expected to enter the same phases we saw last year too. 

I'm hoping I'm wrong about early spring and Feb but all signs point to those outcomes. 

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Despite a few changes vs last year, we still arrive at the same destination.

Warm Oct, cold Nov, most of Dec was BN to normal, now Jan could torch and so should Feb before huge blocking sets in for March/April. 

MJO now expected to enter the same phases we saw last year too. 

I'm hoping I'm wrong about early spring and Feb but all signs point to those outcomes. 

What outcomes ?

If only you could have heard JB rant for 15mins. in his Atmospheric Avenger video today, you would know he has been in too many Full Nelsons.     Only part of it is acting.        The presentation was as clear as a Day 16 Spaghetti Diagram.

Besides, when scientists start sounding like lawyers trying to confuse a jury---we are all in trouble.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CIK62 said:

If only you could have heard JB rant for 15mins. in his Atmospheric Avenger video today, you would know he has been in too many Full Nelsons.     Only part of it is acting.        The presentation was as clear as a Day 16 Spaghetti Diagram.

Besides, when scientists start sounding like lawyers trying to confuse a jury---we are all in trouble.

When Meteorologists start acting/talking like lawyers/politicians their forecasts would be more at home in the banter thread. As always ......

I went to the Catskills for a few hours this morning and temps hovered between 34 and 30 all the way ---- trees looked like glass,,,,,,,,,,on the way home it was sleeting pretty good but eventually it turned to rain and all wet. I got home a short while ago and it was sleeting outside my house here in New City and the deck was / is pretty slick

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Maybe the real good pattern is the friends we made along the way. 

Also, judging by the main discussion thread, the over/under for January is set at +15F. I'll take the over.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Also, judging by the main discussion thread, the over/under for January is set at +15F. I'll take the over.

Our heating fuel bills thank you. As always ....

Where exactly is this historic warmth that I keep hearing about in the main thread? It looks as though one or two days may reach 50 in the next week or so, but that isn't really comparable to March 2012 or December 2015 in terms of anomalies. It is early though.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, Snow88 said:

Wow

Maine is demolished on the GFS and CMC  in the pattern ahead.

And they are complaining about it loudly already. My BIL was livid his stepson took his snow broom ( whatever that is ) to work with him and he couldn't clean the snow off the deck today.

3 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

Where exactly is this historic warmth that I keep hearing about in the main thread? It looks as though one or two days may reach 50 in the next week or so, but that isn't really comparable to March 2012 or December 2015 in terms of anomalies. It is early though.

If you hate winter, as a lot of my cohort does, there is not, nor has there been, any kind of warmth to get excited over. These folks want sunny and 80 all year round. " At least it isn't snow" is all I hear in winters like this. 

2 hours ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

Don't know where  it is? It's snowing out right now. Not sticking,  but, it's all snow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, forkyfork said:

betelgeuse had better explode this year

It’s exploded already more then likely, we just haven’t seen it yet. 
For everyone complaining about the lack of snow you do not have to go far to get to deep winter. I just saw every possible winter weather precip type over a three day period in Vermont. 1/4” ice storm, 2” of sleet including a sleet thunderstorm with 6 bolts. 4” of snow, a light snow break that lasted 24 hours and added another inch. And finally a snow squall that dropped 2” in 20 minutes. 

• Like 1