• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers
George BM

November Banter 2019

The last 2 days were by far the best and funniest days on this regional board in a long time. The maniacs are out and active. Some people are so far gone it's scary we live amongst them. I love this place. Lurkerboy, Vice, Maestro etc. Just to name a few. 

42 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

:oldman: :P 

Yeaaaa, I know....   no mercy here on this board whatsoever.  Haha.  Think about the only one older than me is usedtobe.  Gosh darn young whippersnappers are infiltrating everything.   Now, where is my Geritol?  

11 minutes ago, RDM said:

Yeaaaa, I know....   no mercy here on this board whatsoever.  Haha.  Think about the only one older than me is usedtobe.  Gosh darn young whippersnappers are infiltrating everything.   Now, where is my Geritol?  

Haha. I can’t remember who it was...it might have been you...who once told me that life is short and youth is shorter. I took that advice to heart.

We have a fair amount of age diversity on the board. I like it. 

39 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haha. I can’t remember who it was...it might have been you...who once told me that life is short and youth is shorter. I took that advice to heart.

We have a fair amount of age diversity on the board. I like it. 

007, Regret I can't claim that quote, but I sure do agree with it.  Retired from 30 years of federal service 4 years ago.  Spent nearly half my career overseas in 5 different countries having the good fortune to experience some of the most dramatic forms of weather mother nature can muster.  Can't believe how fast the 30 year year career went, let alone the last 4.  

I do have a philosophy about time....   When we are 10 years old, a year is 10% of our life (at 10, we could solve every problem imaginable in an hour), at 20,,, a year is 5%,,, at 50, a year is 2% etc.  The older we get, the less each year means in the big picture.  Thus, I can't even believe we're just a few weeks from Thanksgiving and Home Depot has Christmas decorations out already.  Where does the time go?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stormpc said:

The last 2 days were by far the best and funniest days on this regional board in a long time. The maniacs are out and active. Some people are so far gone it's scary we live amongst them. I love this place. Lurkerboy, Vice, Maestro etc. Just to name a few. 

:hurrbear: Wait, what did I do? Yeah I may have overreacted a little bit to PSU's post, but outside of that...thought I'd been doing pretty good!

1 hour ago, RDM said:

007, Regret I can't claim that quote, but I sure do agree with it.  Retired from 30 years of federal service 4 years ago.  Spent nearly half my career overseas in 5 different countries having the good fortune to experience some of the most dramatic forms of weather mother nature can muster.  Can't believe how fast the 30 year year career went, let alone the last 4.  

I do have a philosophy about time....   When we are 10 years old, a year is 10% of our life (at 10, we could solve every problem imaginable in an hour), at 20,,, a year is 5%,,, at 50, a year is 2% etc.  The older we get, the less each year means in the big picture.  Thus, I can't even believe we're just a few weeks from Thanksgiving and Home Depot has Christmas decorations out already.  Where does the time go?

Were you ever able to find that VHS recording that you and/or one of your friends took of the 18"+/hr snowfall rates on the glacier?

3 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Watching a wizards game isn't the same anymore without Buchantz . When they got rid of Phil Chenier it was bad enough.

Dagger!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Were you ever able to find that VHS recording that you and/or one of your friends took of the 18"+/hr snowfall rates on the glacier?

Hi George - Thanks for the reminder.  I did some poking around in my archives of VHS-C tapes and couldn't find it.  Then got side tracked.  That was the summer trip to Hintertux, Austria in 89 or 90.  What an event - short lived, but so intense!  Still remember the very unsettling feeling of having total vertigo and not realizing I was falling over until my head hit the slope.  You hear people talk of getting vertigo and think, yea - uh huh - not me, or I used to think so.  That experienced helped me understand the actuality of vertigo and my own mortality.  

Don't recall if I mentioned before I was a avid tele-mark skier back then.  Did a lot of back-country in the Alps, with skins, beacons etc and encountered some pretty intense snowfalls.  But nothing anywhere ever came close to that squall.  Even the intense snowfalls on the windward side of the Japanese Alps did not compare in intensity - and they get a ton of snow there.  Search on Yahoo for "Zao Snow Monsters" - the pictures that show up are the wind swept snow encrusted tops of pine trees - they get that much snow and it's excellent quality.  

I'll renew my search for the squall video and see if I can find it.  Once I do, I still need to finagle a way to get it converted from analog VHS-C to digital.  Thanks again for the memory jog.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Watching a wizards game isn't the same anymore without Buchantz . When they got rid of Phil Chenier it was bad enough.

It's difficult to watch just about any NBA game anymore.  The "it's all about me syndrome" is nauseating.  On half the plays the player's reaction would make you think they just made the greatest play in the history of sports.  Defense is nearly nonexistent in many games until the post-season.  The pecking order of who gets by with violating the fundamentals is atrocious - seeing LJ take 6 or 7 steps and not get called for traveling, the obvious carry on many cross-overs, the "Euro Step" - it's so sad to what the game has become compared to what it was in the 80's and early 90's.  Then there's the subculture of stats, bonuses, ball time etc constantly lurking in the dark shadows.  It's muted the fun factor of fundamental athletic competition.  It's no wonder attendance and tv ratings have plummeted.  If they really played a full game flat out and as a team on both ends of the court, it may be worth watching again.   

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, RDM said:

It's difficult to watch just about any NBA game anymore.  The "it's all about me syndrome" is nauseating.  On half the plays the player's reaction would make you think they just made the greatest play in the history of sports.  Defense is nearly nonexistent in many games until the post-season.  The pecking order of who gets by with violating the fundamentals is atrocious - seeing LJ take 6 or 7 steps and not get called for traveling, the obvious carry on many cross-overs, the "Euro Step" - it's so sad to what the game has become compared to what it was in the 80's and early 90's.  Then there's the subculture of stats, bonuses, ball time etc constantly lurking in the dark shadows.  It's muted the fun factor of fundamental athletic competition.  It's no wonder attendance and tv ratings have plummeted.  If they really played a full game flat out and as a team on both ends of the court, it may be worth watching again.   

AGREE 100%. I haven't watched NBA (and I used to be a HUGE fan) in 10 years or so.

1 hour ago, RDM said:

I agree 100%. Prefer the college game over  NBA.

Go terps!

Ahhh I’ve missed this place and the weenies. Also lol at lurkerBOY

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

PSU with the big egg laying. Ravens better not follow suit tomorrow.

If they lose tomorrow, I will be screaming a whole lot of profanities in our Upper Air building while prepping the balloon :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

If they lose tomorrow, I will be screaming a whole lot of profanities in our Upper Air building while prepping the balloon :lol:

Please don’t take it out on the balloon.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

PSU with the big egg laying. Ravens better not follow suit tomorrow.

Biggest trap game in modern NFL history. They just beat the unbeatable 8-0 Pats convincingly, and now face the 0-8 Bengals, with a (who the fucck is that) at QB.

If they are truly a good team, they take care of business and win easily.

• Like 1

We went to Falling Water today (the Frank Lloyd Wright house)...its only a 50 minute drive from Deep Creek.  Really interesting house (with uncomfortable furniture).  The architecture was pretty amazing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We went to Falling Water today (the Frank Lloyd Wright house)...its only a 50 minute drive from Deep Creek.  Really interesting house (with uncomfortable furniture).  The architecture was pretty amazing.  

Thats awesome!

34 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Thats awesome!

Definitely recommend it!  My favorite parts were the multiple terraces where you really felt ‘one with nature’ & the corner windows (forget what Wright called them)...but basically the windows on the corner of the house open out from the corner, with no corner edge - again, reinforcing how Wright wanted the Kaufmans to be out with nature.  

23 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I always thought you were an older dude for some reason. I guess mattie did too.

:lol: Yeah I'm a fairly young man (23). I believe @Cobalt is the youngest in our subforum atm... a junior in high school.

• Like 1