• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    UpstateDawg
    Newest Member
    UpstateDawg

Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

First I laughed then I cried because this is going to erode public trust in meteorologists so much more.

2 hours ago, TriPol said:

When is this shit going to stop?

EDz4_7qXYAAQvJa.jpg

This is just very sad to see. Trump seems to be Bahgdad Bob with unlimited power.

6 minutes ago, jburns said:

This is just very sad to see. Trump seems to be Bahgdad Bob with unlimited power.

At what point do people (who haven't yet done so) have an epiphany that this guy is not well in the head, and that he is a danger as long as he is in power?

He's got NOAA compromising its integrity in service of his unlimited ego and stupidity.  How the f is that acceptable to people?  I cannot grasp that.  And how do you function as a rational, viable person if you are incapable of a "my bad"?

I can't wait to see how long this stupid shit goes on.  Weeks?  How is that possible?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, NRVwxfan. said:

Wow, you people are so damn butthurt over that election. Isn't there a political thread for this bullshit?????

No. Just further proof of incompetence. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

At what point do people (who haven't yet done so) have an epiphany that this guy is not well in the head, and that he is a danger as long as he is in power?

He's got NOAA compromising its integrity in service of his unlimited ego and stupidity.  How the f is that acceptable to people?  I cannot grasp that.  And how do you function as a rational, viable person if you are incapable of a "my bad"?

I can't wait to see how long this stupid shit goes on.  Weeks?  How is that possible?

You're talking about a president who's only guiding principles are "get power" and "minorities bad." Unfortunately, a sizeable chunk of the country thinks the same way. If anything lies like this make him seem *more* appealing

• Like 1

So, does anybody still believe that the NWS/NOAA would never ever let politics dictate a weather statement, as was being professed on this board a few days ago?

To be clear, I didn't think so then... But now? It's just f'n pathetic.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

So, does anybody still believe that the NWS/NOAA would never ever let politics dictate a weather statement, as was being professed on this board a few days ago?

To be clear, I didn't think so then... But now? It's just f'n pathetic.

Again NO for the nws. The higher up appointees. Those who must kiss the ring yes, at least in the current banana republic. Under a normal president of any party no. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

guys, this is making me uncomfortable. can we go back to pretending that our president isn't an insane narcissist?

I wasn’t a fan of W, voted for Obama twice. What we have now make both of them look tremendous. 

From Bastardi a couple of days ago

Now I get it, [email protected]   By insisting he is right on this hurricane matter,is simply exposing the bigger picture that goes on with climate alarmists who keep pushing models that are grossly overwarmed  and insisting they are right. See if [email protected]  agrees

What do you do if you are talented meteorologist with a thirst for fame and fortune that runs counter to the quiet, dependable, sturdy professionalism that largely defines and populates your occupation?  You could go into television broadcasting but you feel those 5 minutes of reciting daytime highs is unworthy of the science to which you have devoted your life.     The logical pursuit would be "private practice" but you are faced with a major business problem -- the lack of product differentation.    Your prognostication skills cannot be meaningfully distinguished from hundreds of others no less skilled who analyze and offer it all "for free."

Then it hits you.    You market and package your meteorological skills with ideological branding.  You serve your fare of with a heaping side dish of climate change mockery and skepticism.   People and media begin to take note and suddenly a proliferation of companies sign onto your service because even though the analysis being consumed is not really better, it just tastes better feeding their insatiable demand for cognitive bias and motivated reasoning.  And make sure your twitter account is sprinkled liberally with perspective that lets everyone know where you stand politically on issues that have nothing to do with weather.

But you still have a problem.    There is the omnipresent danger that all those clients paying so much money might discover the fact that you have not really cornered the market on meteorological insight.  Therefore it is imperative you embark routine smear campaigns of your government "competition".  You build mountains of strawman arguments, attribute all manner of claims to anonymous individuals  ("they said"),  falsely claim insights you only you offered but others "missed," and conveniently ignore those tweets and other moments when things didn't quite work out the way you expected them to. 

Bastardi. The trumpification of meteorological science
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm ashamed of NOAA for throwing their NWS colleagues under the bus.  President Trump exhibits a severe narcissistic personality disorder with an ego that refuses to let him admit he is human and can make a mistake.  This disorder can explain all of his tweets, discounts of others, and love of adjectives like great, wonderful, best, superb, etc.  "I alone can fix it." The behavior is putting our country at risk.  I'm also ashamed of many of my professional psychological and mental health colleagues for refusing to highlight this disorder for what it is.  They don't do so because of what is known as the "Goldwater rule," which essentially affirms that unless you have personally examined a client you cannot make a formal diagnosis.  Trump's actions and tweets are a matter of public record.  And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.

• Like 4

I'm ashamed of NOAA for throwing their NWS colleagues under the bus.  President Trump exhibits a severe narcissistic personality disorder with an ego that refuses to let him admit he is human and can make a mistake.  This disorder can explain all of his tweets, discounts of others, and love of adjectives like great, wonderful, best, superb, etc.  "I alone can fix it." The behavior is putting our country at risk.  I'm also ashamed of many of my professional psychological and mental health colleagues for refusing to highlight this disorder for what it is.  They don't do so because of what is known as the "Goldwater rule," which essentially affirms that unless you have personally examined a client you cannot make a formal diagnosis.  Trump's actions and tweets are a matter of public record.  And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.

I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration does NOT support that ridiculous statement by that anonymous puppet, whomever, who was clearly dancing at the strings of their boss. I'm not even going to begin to show my disgust about the situation as I have refrained up until this point. 

Keep in mind there still is not a formal director of NOAA at this point, as Trump's really bad nomination has yet to be confirmed. Hard to imagine even the interim taking such action. I'm sure the Dept. of Commerce head was happy to oblige. Embarrassing.

• Like 1

Anyone find it sad that the bahamian officials are saying not all the dead died due to the storm? Perhaps some social unrest as thats been reported as well. Horrible situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indystorm said:

And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.

I'm ashamed that NOAA AND By extension, the NWS, were in fact LIEING too the General Public,  about Wind *Gust(s)* here in Wilmington/Carolina Beach & Federal Point areas.. ..

I'm Ashamed that NOAA tossed their .10 cents into the Ring of Global Warming Hoax, "Climate Change" debacle.. 

YES TRUMP was Right ..

Am I defending the President? NO though HE was in fact,, RIGHT, Get over it..  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, SENC said:

I'm ashamed that NOAA AND By extension, the NWS, were in fact LIEING too the General Public,  about Wind *Gust(s)* here in Wilmington/Carolina Beach & Federal Point areas.. ..

I'm Ashamed that NOAA tossed their .10 cents into the Ring of Global Warming Hoax, "Climate Change" debacle.. 

YES TRUMP was Right ..

You need to back this up.  I'm waiting.

1 hour ago, SENC said:

YES TRUMP was Right ..

*Lying