• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

I guess we're about to retire this thread so .. no guilt in sullying it further.

Among my general ambit of friends and spheres there is a growing movement called 'unplugging' ...  It's basically, not allowing cable companies to manipulate you into taking your money at the most fundamental level.  But, above all ... most of them describe that once you get used to al a carte type servicing such as Hulu and Netflix ...and other techs like Sling TV and so forth, you get all the news and entertainment and informational shows you can handle, and you realize what a scam the whole cable infrastructure really is now.  What's funny is the cable companies continue to be skeevy  ... leveraging the fact that few people don't care or don't have the time to really get around to looking at their hard mail closely enough ... certainly not with a magnifying glass for the fine print ... and or with long enough attention span to decrypt the obfuscating language tactic they use to hide what they are up to...   So you get on some sweet 110 buck-a-month deal and find after a year that your somehow 300 in a rears with them.  They'll get the message when technologies evolution and fair-competition finally un-rugs them..  The day's here - it's a matter of catching on ... maybe.   

I mean yeah ...over 10 years ago, cable infrastructure was the hand-cuffed standard ... But in present day there's really no reason for them. I have tech buddies that go further than just unplugging. They set up transient VPNs through international gates, and don't even know if the free everything they end up tapping into from the global "cloud" is bootlegged or not. There's no regulation there ...zippo... much less even awareness. Now that's the dark web.     Plus, this is obviously only for people that allow 'television' as a life-style factor, duh.  But the point being, the old societal model of entertainment for the masses? That is no longer necessary ... No longer hand-cuffed to that standard - if we choose.  Yet we keep the hand-cuffs on while they sap billions off ..well, saps. 

Friday ...

Could be pick of the week with post frontal airmass overspreading
the region providing abundant sunshine and warm conditions with
highs 75-80.  Quite comfortable with dew pts falling into the 40s
along with light winds. Enjoy!

At least we get one day of coc out of the seven some were promising this week.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't even watch TV really...basically just Bruins, NCIS, and Criminal Minds

yeah... so, if you get those through cable television ... ( which, not saying you 'do' just sayn') get out of it.  

you can get internet service from different providers - you can get satellite internet and it's fine.  and via those sources, you stream Hulu sports packages and it's probably better 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah... so, if you get those through cable television ... ( which, not saying you 'do' just sayn') get out of it.  

you can get internet service from different providers - you can get satellite internet and it's fine.  and via those sources, you stream Hulu sports packages and it's probably better 

For sure. Both shows are on Netflix anyways...even with NCIS still running...if I can't watch the new episode when it airs, it's available on their app the following day. When I get my own place in a few years I likely will not get cable at all...major waste of money. Heck...within a few years things will be much different anyways. Eventually cable companies "go away". My grandmother pays like $160 a month for cable/house phone and doesn't even get most movie channels lol. 

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Chernobyl on hbo is fascinating.

Science Channel's Impossible Engineering showed a repeat last night of construction and installation of a gigantic cover for the reactor building - think Quonset hut times 1,000, the thing is nearly 400' tall, weighs over 40,000 tons and cost $2 billion.  Show was just as fascinating the 2nd time.  The structure came together next to the building and was then sloooooowwly moved above it on Teflon-covered rails.  The cover's interior framing includes robotic tools on tracks that will be used remotely to take the building apart, estimated time 100 years.  Chernobyl - the gift that keeps on giving (though the cover should greatly reduce the radiation going off-site.)

• Like 1

Since we are talking TV,  Josh's show Hurricane Man premieres on the Science channel June 14th at 10pm.   It should be a good show.  My cable provider up here in NH makes you buy the premier package to get that channel.  No a la carte service for a couple of months.  Atlantic Broadband is the only choice we have.  A few months back I did call them and told them I'm cutting the cord so they did lower my package $50 a month since I get phone/internet/cable from them.  Still a racket.

• Like 1

noticing a distinct lack of low level pgf everywhere, ...with limited gradient in general from the st lawrence seaway all the way down to the va capes. 

it's hard to 'mix out' cold stable low level saturated air mass when it's slabbed in and there's no movement.  the sun will go to work but regions n of the boundary ( like here ) are sol because it's just too deep in the atmosphere for the sun to do it alone. 

the NAM is likely more qualified to pick that sort of thing out as it's resolution is better in the planetary boundary layer.