• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jut05
    Newest Member
    jut05
George BM

March Banter 2019

this is a pretty random question but when do you think it's safe to turn the exterior water faucets back on without fear of busting a pipe? Another week or so? I guess I am assuming that just because the temperature dips to 30 or 28 I would still be pretty safe it's not the deep freeze of winter anymore. I am anxious to set up my power washer and spotless water system so I can start washing my cars again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Good one :lol: can’t wait til the pens beat the caps again in the playoffs 

Good one. You mean like last year?.

5 hours ago, Steve25 said:

What are the summers like? Also is this the norm for winters there? I feel like I should know the answer to that but those pics are stunning!

Summer is my favorite season here .  I do not have AC in my home. Afternoons can get damn hot but it is always bone dry so doesn't feel like the east. There are virtually no bugs here,. We don't even need screens in the windows.  Not exaggerating, it is extremely rare for summer mornings not to be in the low 50's and many nights in the 40's even if it was 90 the afternoon before.  The warmest summer night in 4 years since moving here was 62. 

Last summer was extremely dry with just trace of rain between June 19th and October.  We only get around 12" per year here in town and mostly as snow in November-February

This past week was a record snow for March here and now above average for the season. 

Through out whatever you google about Bend winter snow averages because it is not that much.  40" in town.  The key here is being 20 miles from the Cascades where the snows are nuts. First winter here was record warm and one of the lowest snow packs ever recorded at Mt Bachelor.  They still had over 250" and were open for skiing until May 15th.  A few years before I moved here Mt Bachelor had a season with over 700". Locals said the had to groom out areas to keep the chair lifts from dragging in the snow.    

My personal weather station & webcam: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KORBEND204#history 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

Good one. You mean like last year?.

It had to happen sometime... I mean getting beat over and over again every time since 1994 in the playoffs... once in a while the other team finds some luck and gets a lucky win.

Let me know when you are back to back champs... or win 5 Stanley Cups

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yoda said:

It had to happen sometime... I mean getting beat over and over again every time since 1994 in the playoffs... once in a while the other team finds some luck and gets a lucky win.

Baby steps

39 minutes ago, yoda said:

It’s ok i was born in Baltimore but I’m a Yankees fan. I have 27 rings. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

this is a pretty random question but when do you think it's safe to turn the exterior water faucets back on without fear of busting a pipe? Another week or so? I guess I am assuming that just because the temperature dips to 30 or 28 I would still be pretty safe it's not the deep freeze of winter anymore. I am anxious to set up my power washer and spotless water system so I can start washing my cars again.

I never turn off the exterior spigots - don’t even know how. You’re fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never turn off the exterior spigots - don’t even know how. You’re fine.
Uhhh. I may be fine now (in March) but I've busted 3 pipes over 10 years by not turning off exterior spigots and draining lines properly. The issue appears in spring when it thaws and then water is turned back on. But I think you are correct. Getting past deep freeze is likely the key and I'm probably fine now (well, I'll give it another week).

14 hours ago, T. August said:

I think his point is it’s sort of a ridiculous rule. As long as the handle isn’t offensive, it should be allowed.

I’m going to change mine to “TaxesUp1%Down”. It’s clearly political but not offensive.

you should, so Randy can tell you to change it back. 

You all seem to forget that this isn't your board to do what you want with it. There are people who run it and set the rules. If you dont like the rules, you are free to post elsewhere. It's pretty simple. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

You must be super dense. There are rules here, and he broke one. This is not difficult stuff. FFS.

Wanna talk politics, make political statements, be a hack, or troll? Go to PR. This is not the place. I hope that dude does go there to "talk politics". He is clearly a dimwit and will get his ass handed to him there.

In fairness no one is going to hand anyone their ass when it comes to politics. We are as divided as we have ever been politically. That is why I stay out of it. No one is changing anyone elses mind on any issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamHLG said:

Uhhh. I may be fine now (in March) but I've busted 3 pipes over 10 years by not turning off exterior spigots and draining lines properly. The issue appears in spring when it thaws and then water is turned back on. But I think you are correct. Getting past deep freeze is likely the key and I'm probably fine now (well, I'll give it another week).

Depends on many things besides outside temps, like duration of below freezing temps, temp inside the wall the feedline is running, does it face the sun, etc. Not to mention the age and condition of the pipe itself.   I am sure you are safe once into March.  I usually wait to turn mine back on until I actually need to use them, but I am not usually washing my cars in March!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yoda said:

This is like bragging over how many times you had sex.  Doesn't matter.  Had sex.

Caps won a Stanley Cup.  they won it last year.  No one can take it away from them.  Ever.  The Pens didn't win last year. And no one can take that away from them either.  Kuzy FTMFW

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snow pack is for real my east coast friends

Came up early for first chair here this morning and waiting for lifts to start. 

This is the access road to Sunrise Lodge on the southern part of the mountain. 

118" depth reported at the base this morning. 

All 4,300 acres open today and should be fun time before a new storm rolls in this afternoon. 

350114383_Sunriselodgeaccessroad-3-5-19.thumb.jpeg.294581ccd866963d4fc9a1fa06ed3ab6.jpeg

• Like 6

Re: "winterizing"

I've honestly never done anything to prepare for winter around here. It just doesn't seem worth it. Gas stays in the lawnmower, water doesn't get turned off, etc.

Anyone want to convince me that I really should be doing something to prep for winter?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I've honestly never done anything to prepare for winter around here. It just doesn't seem worth it. Gas stays in the lawnmower, water doesn't get turned off, etc.

Anyone want to convince me that I really should be doing something to prep for winter?

At the very least you should turn off and empty your hose bibs.  Pretty easy to do and can potentially save you a huge mess if the pipes freeze/burst.  

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I would just add a fuel stablizer to the mower . I have not fueled up the snow blower in 3 years.  So it sits nicely covered....waiting 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

This is like bragging over how many times you had sex.  Doesn't matter.  Had sex.

Caps won a Stanley Cup.  they won it last year.  No one can take it away from them.  Ever.  The Pens didn't win last year. And no one can take that away from them either.  Kuzy FTMFW

I was glad for OV to finally win a cup, so we could stop talking about the fact that he had never won one. Winning the cup happened by beating an expansion team in its inaugural season makes it lame

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I used to turn off the outside water spigots...and just got lazy about it for the past five years or so, since we typically only get a few sub-20 degree nights in any given "winter" in NoVA.

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness no one is going to hand anyone their ass when it comes to politics. We are as divided as we have ever been politically. That is why I stay out of it. No one is changing anyone elses mind on any issue.

Agreed. That wasn't my point tho. If you read his post/rant from the other day you would see what I was referring to. If you are going to attempt to debate in PR, you better have game. He clearly doesn't. I am sure he would get some white knight action from the hacks there though.

41 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

I was glad for OV to finally win a cup, so we could stop talking about the fact that he had never won one. Winning the cup happened by beating an expansion team in its inaugural season makes it lame

lol  bitter pens fan

2 hours ago, snownut said:

Snow pack is for real my east coast friends

Came up early for first chair here this morning and waiting for lifts to start. 

This is the access road to Sunrise Lodge on the southern part of the mountain. 

118" depth reported at the base this morning. 

All 4,300 acres open today and should be fun time before a new storm rolls in this afternoon. 

350114383_Sunriselodgeaccessroad-3-5-19.thumb.jpeg.294581ccd866963d4fc9a1fa06ed3ab6.jpeg

I remember seeing snowpack like that when I was going to school in Washington.  I loved to hit Stevens pass on the weekends.

• Like 1