Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,514
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu
    Joined
George BM

March Banter 2019

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Different world down here south of DC. Was pushing 50 a little while ago. The snow that was lingering in the roof valleys melted with last nights downpours. I look forward to a dry and mild spring if that's possible.  Good luck up north and thank you so much for your invaluable input all season. Great pictures as well. 

It was mostly embarrassingly bad input this year but thank you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

That view you have is outstanding. My house is off to the left looking south almost right at the base of the ridge . The back of my house faces your house and the doug hill ridge on far side of hallie ave.  The white farm building you see is just off to my right if you're looking out the front of my house.

You guys are practically neighbors. Climb that hill and have a beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. I’m back in Midland I am now certified to issue warnings for the National Weather Service! I am so stoked and extremely exhausted after driving 415 miles today and enduring a realllllly long, tumultuous week of simulations.


.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well. I’m back in Midland I am now certified to issue warnings for the National Weather Service! I am so stoked and extremely exhausted after driving 415 miles today and enduring a realllllly long, tumultuous week of simulations.
 

Congrats!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I could throw a stone into your yard lol. We should have a bbq or get a drink sometime. 

Absolutely 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well. I’m back in Midland I am now certified to issue warnings for the National Weather Service! I am so stoked and extremely exhausted after driving 415 miles today and enduring a realllllly long, tumultuous week of simulations.


.

So now we can put a face to the guy who does or doesn't issue our watches or warnings as some of our expert weenies on these boards feel they should be done? Good to know. :D

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Going to Aspen second week of April.  Not sure what to expect on the slopes.  Any advice?   

Spring skiing in CO can be amazing. It can still snow big in April but what makes the season special is "corn snow". The freeze thaw cycle creates a soft surface that me and my friends used to call hero snow. Great edge control but nice and soft so you can attack it. Aspen's base is pretty low so the lower mountain can get too soft in the afternoons. We called it mashed potatoes.

Time of day and aspect is important. Spring corn is best right after the sun softens the corn. Start with south and east aspects early and move towards northerly aspects late. This is good advice because there's another type of snow in the spring we used to call broken glass. Cold nights and warm days create a crunchy sharp surface until the sun can do its thing. Broken glass conditions are still far better than eastern bulletproof ice. Just don't wreck with a tshirt on. Lol

Northerly aspects at high elevation can still be mid winter conditions too so you can still find nice dry powder or packed powder above 11k feet in April. It's not uncommon to get a sig snowfall in april and ski true deep powder. Just find aspects that dont have broken glass underneath (usually southerly). Powder over broken glass is terrible. 

The short story is April will have variable conditions every day and even hourly throughout a day. Explore the mountain and find the right surface then ski the crap out of it. March and April were my favorite months when i lived there. Deepest base of the year and greatly reduced avalanche conditions in the backcountry and hero snow inbounds.  Good god I loved the Rockies...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rum and coke and thin mint Girl Scout cookies are really good

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Spring skiing in CO can be amazing. It can still snow big in April but what makes the season special is "corn snow". The freeze thaw cycle creates a soft surface that me and my friends used to call hero snow. Great edge control but nice and soft so you can attack it. Aspen's base is pretty low so the lower mountain can get too soft in the afternoons. We called it mashed potatoes.

Time of day and aspect is important. Spring corn is best right after the sun softens the corn. Start with south and east aspects early and move towards northerly aspects late. This is good advice because there's another type of snow in the spring we used to call broken glass. Cold nights and warm days create a crunchy sharp surface until the sun can do its thing. Broken glass conditions are still far better than eastern bulletproof ice. Just don't wreck with a tshirt on. Lol

Northerly aspects at high elevation can still be mid winter conditions too so you can still find nice dry powder or packed powder above 11k feet in April. It's not uncommon to get a sig snowfall in april and ski true deep powder. Just find aspects that dont have broken glass underneath (usually southerly). Powder over broken glass is terrible. 

The short story is April will have variable conditions every day and even hourly throughout a day. Explore the mountain and find the right surface then ski the crap out of it. March and April were my favorite months when i lived there. Deepest base of the year and greatly reduced avalanche conditions in the backcountry and hero snow inbounds.  Good god I loved the Rockies...

I'm jealous as all heck now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well. I’m back in Midland I am now certified to issue warnings for the National Weather Service! I am so stoked and extremely exhausted after driving 415 miles today and enduring a realllllly long, tumultuous week of simulations.


.

Awesome congrats!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clueless said:

Going to Aspen second week of April.  Not sure what to expect on the slopes.  Any advice?   

Everything Bob said is 100% spot on. I was there a week in early April 2009. Was an amazing mix of a couple powder days after a 18” dump and then spring skiing as it warmed up. 

Only thing I’ll add is if you do get a dump while there you might want to head over to snowmass the day after and hang out in the alpine area up by the cirque or the hanging valley. Those areas can hold soft powder longer than anything at aspen mountain. If your at aspen mountain during a dump then hang out in the glades if you like tree skiing. 

If it’s been a while since snow then you might want to stay on piste and enjoy the corn snow on the cruisers. 

I would definitely spend a couple days at snowmass if your there a week.  Aspen is a great mountain but snowmass has more variety imo and they are both on the same ticket so you can do interchangeable days.  

have fun!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Spring skiing in CO can be amazing. It can still snow big in April but what makes the season special is "corn snow". The freeze thaw cycle creates a soft surface that me and my friends used to call hero snow. Great edge control but nice and soft so you can attack it. Aspen's base is pretty low so the lower mountain can get too soft in the afternoons. We called it mashed potatoes.

Time of day and aspect is important. Spring corn is best right after the sun softens the corn. Start with south and east aspects early and move towards northerly aspects late. This is good advice because there's another type of snow in the spring we used to call broken glass. Cold nights and warm days create a crunchy sharp surface until the sun can do its thing. Broken glass conditions are still far better than eastern bulletproof ice. Just don't wreck with a tshirt on. Lol

Northerly aspects at high elevation can still be mid winter conditions too so you can still find nice dry powder or packed powder above 11k feet in April. It's not uncommon to get a sig snowfall in april and ski true deep powder. Just find aspects that dont have broken glass underneath (usually southerly). Powder over broken glass is terrible. 

The short story is April will have variable conditions every day and even hourly throughout a day. Explore the mountain and find the right surface then ski the crap out of it. March and April were my favorite months when i lived there. Deepest base of the year and greatly reduced avalanche conditions in the backcountry and hero snow inbounds.  Good god I loved the Rockies...

Great write up. I miss Colorado so much. Used to go 1-2 times a year. Haven’t been since my son was born. Once the kids are old enough I can’t wait to get out there again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

It was mostly embarrassingly bad input this year but thank you. 

Psu your analysis and input since i started looking at this board 3 months ago has been awesome. In my first 2 days on here i quickly realized you really knew your stuff.  I’ve learned a ton already. Let’s make this next winter a great one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here know a good concrete/stone contractor that won't rob me blind? I need to get a retaining wall replaced. It's 75-100' long and about 3' tall at its highest point and just 1' tall at its lowest (gentle slope). I'm only going to live in this house for 8 more years tops. Don't need high end natural stone. Interlocking block construction is prob the way to go. I also want to get my patio replaced with stamped concrete instead of the crappy flagstone there now.

I always dread dealing with random contractors and estimates... I have friends in every field except masonry. I asked my circle and oddly nobody knew a good masonry contractor. Maybe a weather forum can help me out? Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a very nice day today. Woke early to take our youngest daughter and her friend down to attend a STEM program at the Naval Academy. Then decided to drive down to Calvert Cliffs. Have never been there. Had our oldest with us. While cool the hike to the beach was so nice. 

A3D9DFBC-503B-4EAD-B0A2-7364AB835005.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Spring skiing in CO can be amazing. It can still snow big in April but what makes the season special is "corn snow". The freeze thaw cycle creates a soft surface that me and my friends used to call hero snow. Great edge control but nice and soft so you can attack it. Aspen's base is pretty low so the lower mountain can get too soft in the afternoons. We called it mashed potatoes.

Time of day and aspect is important. Spring corn is best right after the sun softens the corn. Start with south and east aspects early and move towards northerly aspects late. This is good advice because there's another type of snow in the spring we used to call broken glass. Cold nights and warm days create a crunchy sharp surface until the sun can do its thing. Broken glass conditions are still far better than eastern bulletproof ice. Just don't wreck with a tshirt on. Lol

Northerly aspects at high elevation can still be mid winter conditions too so you can still find nice dry powder or packed powder above 11k feet in April. It's not uncommon to get a sig snowfall in april and ski true deep powder. Just find aspects that dont have broken glass underneath (usually southerly). Powder over broken glass is terrible. 

The short story is April will have variable conditions every day and even hourly throughout a day. Explore the mountain and find the right surface then ski the crap out of it. March and April were my favorite months when i lived there. Deepest base of the year and greatly reduced avalanche conditions in the backcountry and hero snow inbounds.  Good god I loved the Rockies...

Thanks Bob!  I knew you would have a good idea of what to expect.  They’ve had a good year so far, so I think it will be an excellent time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Everything Bob said is 100% spot on. I was there a week in early April 2009. Was an amazing mix of a couple powder days after a 18” dump and then spring skiing as it warmed up. 

Only thing I’ll add is if you do get a dump while there you might want to head over to snowmass the day after and hang out in the alpine area up by the cirque or the hanging valley. Those areas can hold soft powder longer than anything at aspen mountain. If your at aspen mountain during a dump then hang out in the glades if you like tree skiing. 

If it’s been a while since snow then you might want to stay on piste and enjoy the corn snow on the cruisers. 

I would definitely spend a couple days at snowmass if your there a week.  Aspen is a great mountain but snowmass has more variety imo and they are both on the same ticket so you can do interchangeable days.  

have fun!!!

I was thinking that Snowmass would be best for variety.  We will see what the weather gods have in store for us.  I’m super excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got to Charlottesville I mistakenly thought that my extra mileage west would lead to at least storm where I would have an advantage over the old Arlington stomping grounds... nope.

The one storm I beat it was because I was further south. Winter is weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Psu your analysis and input since i started looking at this board 3 months ago has been awesome. In my first 2 days on here i quickly realized you really knew your stuff.  I’ve learned a ton already. Let’s make this next winter a great one

Thanks. I’m glad some get something out of my ramblings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Had a very nice day today. Woke early to take our youngest daughter and her friend down to attend a STEM program at the Naval Academy. Then decided to drive down to Calvert Cliffs. Have never been there. Had our oldest with us. While cool the hike to the beach was so nice. 

A3D9DFBC-503B-4EAD-B0A2-7364AB835005.jpeg

Been down to Solomons quite a few times in the last 15 years with my wife and/or her family both camping and staying in the cabins at the Naval Rec center. One of the things I tried to make a point of doing was to take that hike down to the beach at Calvert Cliffs. Was always enjoyable walking through the trees then beside the marsh and finally to the beach where I would always hunt for fossils. You really need to do it doing the summer though because it is much more enjoyable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Good luck. Where in CT are you?

Central CT. Areas ~10 miles north are at 30" on the year. Just a strange season. 

11 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Probably best to stay there unless you smell bacon.  If there is none cooking then worry

Excellent advice :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×