• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter 2019

George BM

I'm "at peace" with not getting this one.  When you divest yourself, it's a relief.  And with nothing to look forward to besides the arctic cold, it;'s almost time to wrap it up down this way.  I'm just ready for this to be over.  Tired of long range runs looking the best they have all winter! And then be ultimately disappointed.  I want off this ride.   About to head to the reaped thread.  I'm going back into the shadows and hibernation.   

I still can't believe that CHO guy really is a grown man though.  Crazy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

How hilarious would that be. Long and elaborate scheme by Ji to form an alter ego. When there’s too much heat on one account just flip to the other. 

Would rather have him do that then his continual hacking into my account to post about how horrible the overnight runs were. Just to flip over to his account and then diss on how the early morning crew let us down. 

• Haha 2

Was at a birthday party a few miles south of town today and when we left the snow was just about gone. Was depressed but got home to find my little bit of extra elevation had helped save my pack a bit. And then caught the animals foraging like crazy. They get this way before we get snow it seems. 

These are all looking south towards Manchester.  Might be able to see @HighStakes house down there somewhere. Saw the deer then the fox a few minutes later.

EEA1ECD1-2496-4A49-B007-76DEF01E1F8D.thumb.jpeg.98b96abaf927c48bf34b9b3500b1c8aa.jpeg

357040F8-A268-4723-801E-9B67FEE670BF.thumb.jpeg.e526ab27f686b5ab4cf9edfb0a4aa22f.jpeg

18705F00-0B18-47F6-B910-83C26BF029C7.thumb.jpeg.1b45c64c2ffe559b0d325ffe6d6e8b7e.jpeg

Keeping just a bit of snowcover makes me feel better about tomorrow. 

• Like 5

This was an interesting winter here. It was above average, with quite a few events. But not a single one was plow-able. Our streets were never plowed, and it only takes about 2-3 inches for that.

There was something that was quite unsatisfying about it. Almost every single event was flawed. Snow to Rain or whatever.

I would have tossed it all for just 1 legit storm.

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

I'm "at peace" with not getting this one.  When you divest yourself, it's a relief.  And with nothing to look forward to besides the arctic cold, it;'s almost time to wrap it up down this way.  I'm just ready for this to be over.  Tired of long range runs looking the best they have all winter! And then be ultimately disappointed.  I want off this ride.   About to head to the reaped thread.  I'm going back into the shadows and hibernation.   

I think he is BSing us. No way he is grown. If he is it’s a sign of the fall of western civilization 

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Canceling WB probably Monday. Its pretty much over, and I am totally fine with it. Seriously, I am looking forward to warm, even hot weather. This winter has been cold, wet, and dreary, but wholly unsatisfying because the overall pattern has sucked for snow. Esp for eastern areas. I wont buy into the widespread predictions for epic patterns so easily going forward. Was kinda dumb in retrospect. We all know the -NAO is an urban myth. Its like the white walkers. But who knows, maybe one day winter will come.

6 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

In my opinion, Hogan and Franchot are not the problem. In my opinion the problem is a combination of teacher unions (I'm a member) and education "experts" that live and die behind the slogan "studies have shown." I submitted a schedule to the union of our district that begins the day after Labor Day and ends the first Friday in June by adding 30 mins to each day. I also put five snow days in the schedule so it would start as early as September 2nd and end as early as June 1st (8th with snow days), and as late as September 7th to June 7th (14th with snow days). It takes into account all the days off we already have (which are ridiculous. We have way too many non-five day work weeks), and has the same number of hours of class time but instead of 180 days, it's 168 days. 

The two main arguments from both the admin and teacher unions I've heard are:

- shortened year would mean less salary, which is not true. Right now my salary is based on a 7 hour day (hahahaha!) and 35 hour work week for 192 work days, of which 180 are school days and 12 are something else (saying "professional" days in education is hysterical). Make it a 7.5 hour day by adding 30 mins to the school day and we have 168 school days and 180 work days (7x180 = 7.5x168 = 1,260 hours).

- "studies have shown" that a longer summer break translates to learning loss, especially among low income students. My idea isn't that learning should stop but should be different for summer. Schools should be "day camps" during the summer that are led by high school students. I can't understand how coming back from winter, spring, and summer break, kids tell me that they were bored. They're bored because they sit around all day doing nothing (like us in the winter looking at weather models). Why not open the schools and have opportunities for kids to do activities in a safe environment while high schoolers earn community service hours? Will it cost money? Sure, but it's well spent money. And affordable. Even providing low cost meals (free to FARM students) would be a drop in the bucket to the overall budget.

I think the benefits would far outweigh the negatives. Parents would love to have a safe and affordable place for their kids to go during summer. I firmly believe that more young people now lack socializing skills that most past generations take for granted. I don't blame the kids or the parents. It's just what we are now. We are a self-centered culture. All of us. But I think that providing a safe place for kids to interact, play, and learn in a non-competitive and non-assessed environment would be a good thing for their overall physical and mental health. It's not "school," but it's still learning.

I could go on but I'll do everyone a favor and step off the soap box. 

I agree with 90% of this but I still think districts should have autonomy over their schedule. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Was at a birthday party a few miles south of town today and when we left the snow was just about gone. Was depressed but got home to find my little bit of extra elevation had helped save my pack a bit. And then caught the animals foraging like crazy. They get this way before we get snow it seems. 

These are all looking south towards Manchester.  Might be able to see @HighStakes house down there somewhere. Saw the deer then the fox a few minutes later.

EEA1ECD1-2496-4A49-B007-76DEF01E1F8D.thumb.jpeg.98b96abaf927c48bf34b9b3500b1c8aa.jpeg

357040F8-A268-4723-801E-9B67FEE670BF.thumb.jpeg.e526ab27f686b5ab4cf9edfb0a4aa22f.jpeg

18705F00-0B18-47F6-B910-83C26BF029C7.thumb.jpeg.1b45c64c2ffe559b0d325ffe6d6e8b7e.jpeg

Keeping just a bit of snowcover makes me feel better about tomorrow. 

See plenty of fox and deer around here. No hills though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Canceling WB probably Monday. Its pretty much over, and I am totally fine with it. Seriously, I am looking forward to warm, even hot weather. This winter has been cold, wet, and dreary, but wholly unsatisfying because the overall pattern has sucked for snow. Esp for eastern areas. I wont buy into the widespread predictions for epic patterns so easily going forward. Was kinda dumb in retrospect. We all know the -NAO is an urban myth. Its like the white walkers. But who knows, maybe one day winter will come.

Yup..letting my subscription lapse mid month or so.  There's nothing to look forward to this upcoming week.  Then it's going to take another week for something to look great..and then fall apart.  It's nobody's fault and I appreciate you guys reading the models...you're far better at it than I am.   I'm just weary and tired at this point.   This all gets tiresome. Nothing we can do about it, but still frustrating nonetheless.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Yup..letting my subscription lapse mid month or so.  There's nothing to look forward to this upcoming week.  Then it's going to take another week for something to look great..and then fall apart.  It's nobody's fault and I appreciate you guys reading the models...you're far better at it than I am.   I'm just weary and tired at this point.   This all gets tiresome. Nothing we can do about it, but still frustrating nonetheless.  

We are on the exact same path. I also just requested reapage. Plus, vodka. This Icelandic stuff is good. Better than Titos.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

March climo is significant different in this sub from one side of the fall line to the other after March 10. 

Eh, not always, esp recently. Been plenty of nice snows here the last few years. The mid March storm last year was the biggest of the winter here.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Eh, not always, esp recently. Been plenty of nice snows here that last few years. The mid March storm last year was the biggest of the winter here.

Your right since 2013 March has been equally good everywhere in the mid Atlantic wrt climo. I’m really glad that storm last March gave you a flush hit considering how much this year has sucked. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

What’s left of my snow is already firming up into ice. 

Different world down here south of DC. Was pushing 50 a little while ago. The snow that was lingering in the roof valleys melted with last nights downpours. I look forward to a dry and mild spring if that's possible.  Good luck up north and thank you so much for your invaluable input all season. Great pictures as well. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Your right since 2013 March has been equally good everywhere in the mid Atlantic wrt climo. I’m really glad that storm last March gave you a flush hit considering how much this year has sucked. 

There is no doubt this winter has completely sucked here lol, but I was over climo last winter, plus the blizzard chase at Rehoboth. Not bad the winter before either, and also had the big snow chase at the beach. I know my climo. This stuff tends to even out, and here you have to accept being on the short end of the stick more times than not.

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

March climo is significant different in this sub from one side of the fall line to the other after March 10. 

That view you have is outstanding. My house is off to the left looking south almost right at the base of the ridge . The back of my house faces your house and the doug hill ridge on far side of hallie ave.  The white farm building you see is just off to my right if you're looking out the front of my house.

3 hours ago, Fozz said:

Taking away a kid's spring break is cruel. Even in 2002-03 they didn't do that to us (in Baltimore county).

The lack of a spring break is a permanent thing now- it's not snow make-up days, that's just the schedule. The county is claiming they have to do this to fit the school year into the new scheduling rules. They tell us it's Hogan's fault, but as @nw baltimore wx pointed out, maybe it's more complicated. All I know is me and many other parents would greatly prefer a shorter summer break in exchange for the spring break back- we used to love traveling during the spring and would love to take a vacation with him in spring when he's off on break. You know the summer climo here- I don't like taking summer vacations (not around here at least).

The President's Day thing was a snow make-up day just announced this year and pissed everyone off, because that was supposed to be a holiday until about 2 weeks before, when the county announced it would be a snow make-up day instead of being tacked on to the end of the school year. People had vacations planned or (in the case of my son) had dental treatment scheduled on his day off so he wouldn't have to miss a day of school. This part I'm a little more skeptical of as they had more snow days to make up last year and they did not take away President's Day (they went past June 15 instead).

I just don't get the obsession with summer break? Why not make it shorter and have more time off throughout the year? It's easier on kids AND parents.

There was something that was quite unsatisfying about it. Almost every single event was flawed. Snow to Rain or whatever.

I would have tossed it all for just 1 legit storm.

Nah, you're kidding yourself with the last sentence. I've endured the unfortunate experience of reading your posts for over 10 years. While I can't change that dreadful experience and I'm not blaming you or anything because I had a choice to ignore every single fingernails on chalkboard keystroke but you are unquestionably one of those people that will live every last nanosecond of your life focusing squarely on the bad aspects of basically everything.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe you are totally different in real life. I'm strictly talking about your posting style here. You could win the powerball tonight and the very first thought you would have is how f'n awful it is that you have to pay millions in taxes. Amirite? AMIF'NRITE?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

The lack of a spring break is a permanent thing now- it's not snow make-up days, that's just the schedule. The county is claiming they have to do this to fit the school year into the new scheduling rules. They tell us it's Hogan's fault, but as @nw baltimore wx pointed out, maybe it's more complicated. All I know is me and many other parents would greatly prefer a shorter summer break in exchange for the spring break back- we used to love traveling during the spring and would love to take a vacation with him in spring when he's off on break. You know the summer climo here- I don't like taking summer vacations (not around here at least).

The President's Day thing was a snow make-up day just announced this year and pissed everyone off, because that was supposed to be a holiday until about 2 weeks before, when the county announced it would be a snow make-up day instead of being tacked on to the end of the school year. People had vacations planned or (in the case of my son) had dental treatment scheduled on his day off so he wouldn't have to miss a day of school. This part I'm a little more skeptical of as they had more snow days to make up last year and they did not take away President's Day (they went past June 15 instead).

I just don't get the obsession with summer break? Why not make it shorter and have more time off throughout the year? It's easier on kids AND parents.

That's a really shitty thing to do. I always enjoyed spring break as a kid and the many vacations my family planned. Summer break is fun but 10 weeks is plenty of time. I see no reason to take away breaks during the year to prolong that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nah, you're kidding yourself with the last sentence. I've endured the unfortunate experience of reading your posts for over 10 years. While I can't change that dreadful experience and I'm not blaming you or anything because I had a choice to ignore every single fingernails on chalkboard keystroke but you are unquestionably one of those people that will live every last nanosecond of your life focusing squarely on the bad aspects of basically everything.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe you are totally different in real life. I'm strictly talking about your posting style here. You could win the powerball tonight and the very first thought you would have is how f'n awful it is that you have to pay millions in taxes. Amirite? AMIF'NRITE?

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-1.gifezgif.com-video-to-gif-1.gif

This is almost the entire board.  Mdecoy has ALWAYS sucked as a poster. Always.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

That view you have is outstanding. My house is off to the left looking south almost right at the base of the ridge . The back of my house faces your house and the doug hill ridge on far side of hallie ave.  The white farm building you see is just off to my right if you're looking out the front of my house.

I could throw a stone into your yard lol. We should have a bbq or get a drink sometime. 

55 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Different world down here south of DC. Was pushing 50 a little while ago. The snow that was lingering in the roof valleys melted with last nights downpours. I look forward to a dry and mild spring if that's possible.  Good luck up north and thank you so much for your invaluable input all season. Great pictures as well. 

It was mostly embarrassingly bad input this year but thank you. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

You guys are practically neighbors. Climb that hill and have a beer.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic