Total Members
    Most Online
    NJRunner
    Newest Member
    NJRunner
nj2va

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Heavy returns on my door step.  Too bad it flipped before it got here.  This might be some heavy sleet inbound.

Yeah. I am hoping with it being heavy it will cool the column enough again for snow for a bit. But probably a pipe dream. I am sleet here now as well. Over 6 inches though. So I cant complain.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

4.1" Rockville. Might top 5" before sleet. Going to be close...

It already happening.  Sleet snow mix here. 

Hopefully heavier returns we change back to all snow

Just now, Snowman. said:

Do you ever post something positive?

I guess you missed all my other posts this morning. Also, that post wasn't negative. It's a fact. It's actually positive depending on your location. mappy and PSU won't think it's negative, but sure, people farther south might. Believe it or not, I don't enter the data into the HRRR model.

Now I'm hoping our slow start here in Baltimore won't hurt us later with the totals! Probably got about 1.5 inches so far...can't see us getting 4-6 unless we're supposed to stay snow longer?

Just now, snjókoma said:

Still all snow here. Are people confusing rimed flakes for sleet?

Could be.  Looking out the window it looks like spitting small snowflakes.  Doesn’t look or sound like pingers (yet).  

A dusting. Snow is coming down though. I guess it's our turn up here, but the mixing line is moving north fast. I don't think we will get the totals that areas like DC got before the changeover. You guys should be happy with 2-3 inches.

Just now, snjókoma said:

Still all snow here. Are people confusing rimed flakes for sleet?

All sleet and freezing rain here and thru Warrenton to Front Royal

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

4.1" Rockville. Might top 5" before sleet. Going to be close...

Question is whether the heavies coming out of WVA beat back the mixing like some models showed yesterday or usher it in. I think and hope it beats it back and then once it passes we flip.

13 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It’s great.  But I’m with you.  I want a bombing ORF low and 1044 hp in NY.  I ordered linguine with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I’ll still eat it!

snow to mix/rain is never ideal, but it's easy to forget it's feb 20.  this winter flew by, partly because it hasn't been a strong winter overall.  got a couple good storms out of it, though.  not bad considering we never really got into a prolonged deep freeze.  maybe we can weasel our way into another event in a week or two.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep, climo+ year in the books. Best worst winter ever. 

I will be one or two inches short of climo after this storm. This certainly was not a bad winter. 14 days with snow falling is a decent winter in my book. And we are not done yet I dont think.

Question about official measuring. I am going to clear my snow board to measure sleet. Does it make my measurement incorrect if I combine my snow and sleet total?