Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Slightly more amped and faster....still really juicy at least through 90h which is the final frame of the off hour runs.

Pellet line is prob right near or just S of pike at 12z Sunday on the final frame.

Looks pretty close to 12z in terms of outcome. That is really juicy. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Looks pretty close to 12z in terms of outcome. That is really juicy. 

Yeah basically model noise...the faster progression made it a little bit harder to compare apples to apples....but either way, changes were not large from 12z. Clearly that is going to be a pretty cold solution too at the sfc with the CAD sig already pointing the low south of the Cape at 90h.

Jan16_18zEuro.png

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah basically model noise...the faster progression made it a little bit harder to compare apples to apples....but either way, changes were not large from 12z. Clearly that is going to be a pretty cold solution too at the sfc with the CAD sign already pointing the low south of the Cape at 90h.

Jan16_18zEuro.png

Probably a lot of pingers here - but that has a nasty ice storm look for NYC/CT Shoreline. 

Yeah basically model noise...the faster progression made it a little bit harder to compare apples to apples....but either way, changes were not large from 12z. Clearly that is going to be a pretty cold solution too at the sfc with the CAD sig already pointing the low south of the Cape at 90h.

Are any of you really honestly concerned about warming above freezing?  I mean it seems like a no brainer for days now, beaten like a dead horse.  It's cold and will be below freezing regardless of where the low or mid-levels go.  It's frigid cold in the low levels.

• Like 1

Yeah basically model noise...the faster progression made it a little bit harder to compare apples to apples....but either way, changes were not large from 12z. Clearly that is going to be a pretty cold solution too at the sfc with the CAD sign already pointing the low south of the Cape at 90h.

Jan16_18zEuro.png

Is it actually faster or is it more of where the closed contour is being developed? I've noticed through the week (especially when tracking this for the central Plains and Ohio Valley) that at times timing seemed way different, but then it looked to do more with where the development of the low was occurring. I'm also wondering if there is never one distinct area of low pressure but more multiple low developments along the way...one takes precedence then like "fizzles" and a different circulation develops. If this turns out to be the case this could have big time havoc on solutions

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Main thing is it wasn't further east.  To me that's the take-home message.

No, It was not further east, It was heading towards another big hit it looked like, It was still qpf loaded and that looked like it wasn't backing off of that either., We needed like 9 more hours on that lol

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Slightly more amped and faster....still really juicy at least through 90h which is the final frame of the off hour runs.

Pellet line is prob right near or just S of pike at 12z Sunday on the final frame.

3 hr snowfall rates are 1 to 1.5 per hour, Thumpity thump 

download (5).png

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

Keith Carson up here on NBC had a map ready to go at the 6pm news until he saw that 18z GFS and pulled it back lol, But he still threw out possible dbbl digits total in the 10-18" range, Just should have put up the map if you mention totals on air............lol

Some mets in the Boston market will put out a map with a GFS track and one with a Euro map...then give their own...

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some mets in the Boston market will put out a map with a GFS track and one with a Euro map...then give their own...

He is a big Euro guy too, He showed two maps of the track of the 12z Euro and the 18z GFS to show where the mixing could possibly be.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Are any of you really honestly concerned about warming above freezing?  I mean it seems like a no brainer for days now, beaten like a dead horse.  It's cold and will be below freezing regardless of where the low or mid-levels go.  It's frigid cold in the low levels.

No im pretty confident in low levels staying below freezing though these minor differences could matter for a place like BOS or even moreso the south shore from Scooter down to like GHG. A more amped solution might put the CF near BOS or even a shade west. But most of these solutions like the euro would pin it well south of BOS so even the coastline north of that line would stay well below freezing. 

My gut continues to be that this will make some more tickles southeast or at least the profiles will become colder even if the upper air itself doesn't trend that much. It's going to be very hard to advect warm air over this airmass with the southern stream getting pinched the way it does. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I could see here ticking above 32 for a bit. Depends on the track. But inland is a lock for sub 32. 

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Goal posts seem to be narrowing.  I think tomorrow's 12z suite is sort of the lock and load time as by then the energy is well into the United States.

Since Monday I have been steadfast in waiting until the Thursday morning runs to begin any hand wringing over model outcomes.  I don't expect too many changes, but a slight tick or two SE with a slightly faster forward motion and qpf dialed back by about a third is what I am expecting. Anywhere from NY border and N of Mass Pike up to Dendrite and Dry Slot should be a general 8-14". 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No im pretty confident in low levels staying below freezing though these minor differences could matter for a place like BOS or even moreso the south shore from Scooter down to like GHG. A more amped solution might put the CF near BOS or even a shade west. But most of these solutions like the euro would pin it well south of BOS so even the coastline north of that line would stay well below freezing. 

My gut continues to be that this will make some more tickles southeast or at least the profiles will become colder even if the upper air itself doesn't trend that much. It's going to be very hard to advect warm air over this airmass with the southern stream getting pinched the way it does. 

Yeah exactly. Well said. And those that do get above 32 will rapidly drop in a short time.