• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

I thought the "not sampled well" was a joke weenies told on here?  Its stated pretty clearly in the afternoon LWX AFD...

For the weekend, global models continue to support the potential for
a winter storm to impact the mid-Atlantic and northeast coasts. The
latest run of the GFS continues to be the most supportive of the
winter storms threat for our area, with the Canadian jumping on
board with the 12z run as well. However, some models suggest a
more suppressed system, keeping things to our south. One
constant amongst guidance is the presence of a strong area of
surface high pressure over southern Quebec/Ontario, which should
provide plenty of cold air to the region. The real question, as
always, is where the surface low will track as it moves across
the southeast. With a large number of scenarios still being
shown amongst guidance, it is too early to be sure of anything
at this point. The 2 primary pieces of upper-level energy in
question have yet to reach North America, and as a result, are
likely not being sampled very well in the models just yet. As
these features move closer, things should start to come into
better agreement. For now, this is just something to monitor, so
stay tuned for further updates in the coming days.

1 minute ago, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, yoda said:
lol you will take the 4-8/6-10

I cant take what gfs gives me 138 hours out

But you are awful quick to take/believe rain when it's 360 hrs out. :whistle:

Just flipping through the 500's on the last couple of days of runs. All over the place with the NS. Until that gets nailed down somewhat I wouldn't be counting my snow/or lack of just yet.

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yep...you can just see it now! (and wouldn't the confluence be coming from the exact same spot as last month? Lol)

It's not the confluence that's the problem. The shortwave keeps looking weaker and more sheared. Very different situation compared to last month even though the results look similar. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Can't disagree. GFS is one extra shear away from a non event.

ETA: and by non event I mean a light sheared out mess but still snow

In which case not too many would get a hit at all, right? And I take it this time...success or failure could come down to the strength of the southern wave?

@Bob Chill your analysis is spot on but I'm not sure given the progressive flow and multiple moving parts here we are close enough to take too much from one op run. Icon trended better. Fv3 and gfs swapped places. That's about all so far. But yes the gfs at h5 was a bad step toward the euro. But there were gefs members like that so it could be noise. 

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill your analysis is spot on but I'm not sure given the progressive flow and multiple moving parts here we are close enough to take too much from one op run. Icon trended better. Fv3 and gfs swapped places. That's about all so far. But yes the gfs at h5 was a bad step toward the euro. But there were gefs members like that so it could be noise. 

I didn't like the EPS. Universal agreement of a weak event. So the EPS strongly agrees with the op. Could be the hive mentality at work and suddenly shift (hopefully) or it just might really be a weak sheared out mess in the end. We'll know soon enough... I did not like the EPS run at all though. Not a single amped up strong storm at all in the mix. 

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Count me in for even some light snow if it becomes a sheared out mess.  However, the trend this year hasn’t been sheared out SS vorts so there’s that.  

I do think we're close to turning the corner and locking in a light event at least. All models give us snow and there's some consistency.  We all have our own preferences. I'd prefer 2" of cold powder that instantly sticks to everything versus 4" of wet slop that doesnt stick on the streets. Cold powder remimds me of my CO years and i really like remembering them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I do think we're close to turning the corner and locking in a light event at least. All models give us snow and there's some consistency.  We all have our own preferences. I'd prefer 2" of cold powder that instantly sticks to everything versus 4" of wet slop that doesnt stick on the streets. Cold powder remimds me of my CO years and i really like remembering them. 

Absolutely.  To go from where we were less than a week ago to this should make everyone here happy, especially if we do see some light snow out of this.  And look at the LR...so many chances.  

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Absolutely.  To go from where we were less than a week ago to this should make everyone here happy, especially if we do see some light snow out of this.  And look at the LR...so many chances.  

Yep, and for the record I'll be fine with a 1-2" event if that's what it ends up being. Well... happy as long as my yard gets 2" and everyone else gets 1" (including my neighbors)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic