• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

You feel like this is a flaw with the models at this range or is it a bonafide concern with the storm? I feel like the Euro is notorious for this but obviously if most models start showing it it’s not good. For me at this point any type of snowfall is a win for many, especially more so with the potential in the upcoming pattern. 

I honestly wouldn’t be betting against a stronger SW in the SS which has been the case all winter but it does seem models have been trending to the Euro with a weaker, strung out SW.  Can’t be ignored at this point.  But its still in the MR and changes should be expected.  I just want to see some snow.

51 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Sounds like their source was grasping at straws, unless EMC has no testing/QA process for data format changes.

My guess is most if not all resources are/were being used to get the Fv3 to production by 1/15, with little emphasis updating the GFS regardless of the shutdown

FWIW, on the politics board ohleary said:

"This is hogwash. Not the part about the drop in performance, but it was in no way tied to data ingest. And it wasn't technically labeled a "dropout" as purported here. Maybe she was interviewed that short time period when it was assumed to be tied to data ingest."

Don't ask why this was being discussed on the politics board. We are kind of insane. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I really don’t like this run of the ICON looking closer.  Stronger confluence + weaker/strung out SW.

It's the beginning of the end. We've seen this act too many times before. Once guidance starts heading towards the euro it rarely reverses for the better. Just my $.02 but anything before Jan 20 is bonus stuff. 

4 minutes ago, jackb979 said:

By the way-did we ever gauge which models did the best in figuring out the December storm compared to what actually happened? Only one storm but could be a good barometer for this weekend potential 

cae did a nice writeup about a week ago. CMC did best overall although it didn't nail the tight gradient on the northern edge (HRDPS did in the short range). FV3 was better than GFS and Euro/UKMET/ICON were about on par with FV3 for this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Interstate said:

The analysis is comical. It is great. It sucks.     Maybe we should let the models play out first before commenting on them. 

Yeah I am done commenting on play by play. The vort looked good out in the SW but then just gets smashed. And what happened to the northern stream energy from earlier runs? There is really no energy dropping in on this run at all.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Yeah I am done commenting on play by play. The vort looked good out in the SW but then just gets smashed. And what happened to the northern stream energy from earlier runs? There is really no energy dropping in on this run at all.

That was my thing as well thus why I was excited earlier in the run.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Don’t worry. The GooFuS will keep us in the game...until we lose. :lol:

The GFS has a much more vigorous wave because the western ridge isnt closed off as it ejects. It is a great run for us. Snowing hard out here at 9Z Sunday.

Good track with the ss low as well. Not as far north and west. Mod-heavy snow for southern and central va at 126. 

• Like 2

The GFS has a much more vigorous wave because the western ridge isnt closed off as it ejects. It is a great run for us. Snowing hard out here at 9Z Sunday.

Such an interesting evolution.  Can you explain what hours you’re looking at re: ridge doesn’t close while the SW ejects?  Ejects before 108 as the ridge starts to close off?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic