Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Holy sh-t.  That's insane.  

My God is the GEFS ever honking the MLK day window.  Clear coastal track favored with major precipitation forecast, especially given the lead times!  Like 1.5" of liquid on the MEAN over the +/- 2 day window around the 20-21st!  Good lord.  

• Like 3

Just now, WxUSAF said:

My God is the GEFS ever honking the MLK day window.  Clear coastal track favored with major precipitation forecast, especially given the lead times!  Like 1.5" of liquid on the MEAN over the +/- 2 day window around the 20-21st!  Good lord.  

So... is it worthy of this?

BTgE5zBoc.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Looking at the mean panels, it's spread out in a 4 day window but still a very strong signal for long leads. EPS has .7 qpf mean for the same period. Still a great sign imo

• Like 2

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

So is my day Jan 20-22 storm still on the docket? :)

Ha ha seems to be two events, one near the 19th to 20 th and another near the 25 th to 26 th. 

I am sure you saw the GFS with a a 968 mb death bomb on Jan 25 th. 

And the MLK one has that insane snow mean, YET , the Jan 25 th GFS forecast has that intense low pressure of 968 !!! Two that close ??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Looking at the mean panels, it's spread out in a 4 day window but still a very strong signal for long leads. EPS has .7 qpf mean for the same period. Still a great sign imo

Will naturally be timing variations at this lead, but that's a huge signal.  Glad to hear EPS is bullish also.

@frd

Yeah, think I mentioned I thought we would see a follow up as well. Think the follow up will depend on the initial one I was keying on during the 20-22 period. If the initial one blows up then the followup probably won't amount to much. If the initial one doesn't blow up into a major storm and is more pedestrian then I think that will set the stage for the followup to go to town. Don't really see both being big players though. Just one or the other. 

• Like 1

This is the time frame of the psu and showme storm, Jan 19 to Jan 22,  yet around this time period we are possibly getting a coupling / down welling, along with a possible split of the main polar vortex. ( 21 st and onwards ) 

Can not be certain, but look for extreme blocking to develop near this time and afterwards, ensuring a continuation of a favorable pattern for us.  

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS isn't as good as the weenie gefs but it's def in the weenie category. Looks like 2 shots after this weekend and the pattern remains ripe from there. Just a couple good breaks this month and Jan is going to rock. 

Bob, do you have an opinion or stats, as to what model at long range (GEFS, EPS, etc.  ) are better in predicting snow events and storms for our area ?

Do you think if the GEFS does indeed do better at forecasting the HL it might be more useful at long leads because of that ? 

42 minutes ago, frd said:

The most impressive thing watching this animation to me is the duration of the warming, no doubt long lasting impacts for Feb.

So it looks like the official Stratosphere warming is Dec 17 - Jan 24. Around Dec15 the lead time is +35 days and at Jan25 the lead time is +22 days.... so this is a correlation to -NAO Jan 21-Feb 17 officially using the whole Stratosphere warming.

1 hour ago, frd said:

Bob, do you have an opinion or stats, as to what model at long range (GEFS, EPS, etc.  ) are better in predicting snow events and storms for our area ?

Do you think if the GEFS does indeed do better at forecasting the HL it might be more useful at long leads because of that ? 

Overall, I trust the EPS the most. Has the best dispersion and also the highest skill scores at h5. However, the GEFS has picked up on large hemispheric pattern changes way out in time so when the gefs starts diverging d12+ I definitely give it some extra credit. 

Since discrete events require so many fine details to come together right it's always hard to buy into anything beyond 7 days or so. I generally use ensembles to get an idea how h5 is looking and just make some guesses based on what I know. The snow output and all that stuff is more for eye candy then setting legit expectations. 

The second most useful panel on the EPS after h5 is the low location plot. Gives you an instant snapshot of how lows and highs might interact. If I had to pick between the gefs and eps it's an easy call but that doesn't mean the gefs is very good at times because it is. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic