Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

As i'm sipping on a crown, Yup, 12" was nothing to go apesh it over.

Yeah, you guys generally got a good 10-15" with a little bit more in the higher elevation.  But, the orientation of the storm took the swath of snow from a genral west/southwest to east/northeast orientation.  Had it just been in a direct northeast orientation I'm pretty sure you would have tacked on at least several more inches to maybe approaching a foot.

1 minute ago, Greg said:

Yeah, you guys generally got a good 10-15" with a little bit more in the higher elevation.  But, the orientation of the storm took the swath of snow from a genral west/southwest to east/northeast orientation.  Had it just been in a direct northeast orientation I'm pretty sure you would have tacked on at least several more inches to maybe approaching a foot.

It was captured and stalled robbing areas not in the goods.  Boston Area was perfectly placed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

It was captured and stalled robbing areas not in the goods.  Boston Area was perfectly placed.

Here is what the Blizzard of '78 looked like at it's closest pass to us just inside the benchmark. Other picture is the southbound lane of Route 128.

blizzard_1978_satellite_499Satellite Blizzard of 1978.pngtotals.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That was Feb 7th 1030 am  pic by then it was over other than rotting bands . The one I posted was 6th 1030 AM . Wasnt a dry slot per se just unraveling 

It is definitely a dryslot...they become more pronounced the more mature a storm is. It is one of the reasons we fear a storm that has maxed out. We also fear the banded/shredded CCB zone too as you mention previously...but the dryslot punches deeper NW as a storm matures. I'm sure if you have a pic from 12z 2/6 it would probably have a firehose still over the Cape.

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That was Feb 7th 1030 am  pic by then it was over other than rotting bands . The one I posted was 6th 1030 AM . Wasnt a dry slot per se just unraveling 

Actually, it wasn't quite over here in our neck of the woods of the greater Boston area.  The snow lasted til about 10:00 PM Tuesday night with scattered flurries there after.

Visible Sattelite

19 hours ago, Isotherm said:

Yes, that was my point - that December was not a canonical-Nino pattern. It was more Nina-esque. CONUS temperature departures were running cooler than normal until the MJO began to amplify, "out of control" in the warm phases, due in part to stratospheric elicited feedback / convective growth, in my view.

Yep, I think we were on the way to having a nice pattern for some snow and cold until the stratospheric feedback so rudely interrupted :P

Ironically though, the nina-in-nino SOI of this December is following one of your primary analogs- 1968-69.  And in all 3 cases this happened, there was a major reversal for January.

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It is definitely a dryslot...they become more pronounced the more mature a storm is. It is one of the reasons we fear a storm that has maxed out. We also fear the banded/shredded CCB zone too as you mention previously...but the dryslot punches deeper NW as a storm matures. I'm sure if you have a pic from 12z 2/6 it would probably have a firehose still over the Cape.

Storm was occluded and basically over, all storms eventually do this. Greg mentioned it was still snowing in Boston as they sat under a rotting band. Semantically its a dry slot but typically when we think of a dry slot in a maturing storm that is not the Satellite presentation but I get your point. SWE totals for those places under the roughly 50 mile rotting band were almost an inch higher than those whose snow had basically ended North South East and West of the band in the occluded storm. For the James fans the Cape turned to rain anyways by then, what many do not know is this storm was a Subtropical storm while off South Carolina, part of the reason there was such an intense band of severe long lasting thunder snow in coastal SNE. 

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Storm was occluded and basically over, all storms eventually do this. Greg mentioned it was still snowing in Boston as they sat under a rotting band. Semantically its a dry slot but typically when we think of a dry slot in a maturing storm that is not the Satellite presentation but I get your point. SWE totals for those places under the roughly 50 mile rotting band were almost an inch higher than those whose snow had basically ended North South East and West of the band in the occluded storm. For the James fans the Cape turned to rain anyways by then, what many do not know is this storm was a Subtropical storm while off South Carolina, part of the reason there was such an intense band of severe long lasting thunder snow in coastal SNE. 

I wish we had radar. I was in Brockton and pretty sure we got into the rotting band for awhile, but worst may have been just west. I know my hood now got clocked too.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wish we had radar. I was in Brockton and pretty sure we got into the rotting band for awhile, but worst may have been just west. I know my hood now got clocked too.

I still feel my neighborhood got 40-48”, but who really knows...winds made legit measurements pretty much impossible