• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

I am thinking, regardless of the strat,  looks like changes to our weather pattern here start near the Jan 10th date. Sudden flip maybe or a steady tur to colder after the 15th, too hard to tell yet. However, looking long-term the changes begin near Jan 10th and things really start to become colder and more active here after that. Sure, active beforehand, but the real deal seems to start after Jan 10 th and transitions colder and colder and stormier. Looks really cold to our NW as we near the 10th and building snow cover as well to our NW as well.  

Here is a post form griteater  

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're going to have an awesome 2 weeks of winter during the 14 week window. 

If the December storm hadn't hit 2010 was a 2 week winter. Lol.  I think our window is longer though. Probably 6 weeks. Not epic the whole time but with several periods we can get snow within a generally favorable 6 weeks from Jan 20 to early march. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If the December storm hadn't hit 2010 was a 2 week winter. Lol.  I think our window is longer though. Probably 6 weeks. Not epic the whole time but with several periods we can get snow within a generally favorable 6 weeks from Jan 20 to early march. 

I'm just glad to be moving out of the shutout. Folks can worry about d15 and the SSW or mjo or whatever but were fast closing in on a flawed period that can work here. 12z gfs is just one example of how one or more shortwaves can work. Not classic or pretty on the panels but serviceable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm just glad to be moving out of the shutout. Folks can worry about d15 and the SSW or mjo or whatever but were fast closing in on a flawed period that can work here. 12z gfs is just one example of how one or more shortwaves can work. Not classic or pretty on the panels but serviceable. 

I'm not worried. I think we probably go through a 2 week period where it's flawed but serviceable. It fits. We got a minor snow early January in 2015, 2010, 2003.  1987 there was a storm they just missed. Gave my area 6". With luck it could be more then minor. 

I just lol at the people being uber picky about when and how it snows. Like they forgot where they live. I'm not an overly religious fellow but I do get this image of a higher being somewhere hearing that and saying "ok fine no snow for you". 

• Haha 1

The models are having a hard time fiquiring out how much energy to send out of the SW. The runs that are giving us a chance at multiple events are sending it out in pieces. The runs that wait and send it all out at once cut way west nd rain on us. Seems to be flipping every model run

Njaed by 87storms

• Like 1

I'm becoming more convinced every day that the MA is going to score at least 1 event over the next 2 weeks. Our bread and butter leans on the convoluted versus perfect side of things. All the pieces that can produce an event appear to be on the table. Figuring out how they play together is impossible but get 2-3 chances of combining precip with just enough cold and we're banking something. My gut instinct is feeling pretty strong right now. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm becoming more convinced every day that the MA is going to score at least 1 event over the next 2 weeks. Our bread and butter leans on the convoluted versus perfect side of things. All the pieces that can produce an event appear to be on the table. Figuring out how they play together is impossible but get 2-3 chances of combining precip with just enough cold and we're banking something. My gut instinct is feeling pretty strong right now. 

Euro will be the perfect probiotic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gefs looks ok moving into the second week of January. Heights building over Canada and up over the pole. Ambiguous over the Conus but get it right up there during prime climo and I would be shocked if we don't get results. 

Pna looks really good and the axis shifted west. If I had to complain about the d15 heights across ens guidance is that it would imply fairly dry conditions with a dominant northern stream. A good ridge/trough axis can fix some of that but if the pna is too far east then it works against our precip potential.

On the bright side... We're going to be tracking one or more events before we have to worry about the uber long range. Cold and dry is acceptable with snowpack on the ground. 

• Like 1

Keeping in mind any model outcome is tough in the medium range, as there are many things happening on the Pac side, as well as the Atlantic side side . 

These medium range changes even have an outcome on predictions concerning the strat split too.  

one such example 

Just now, yoda said:

So 12z GFS and CMC like a quick hitter of something like 1 to 3 for NYE... EURO declines and FV3 is north in PA

Euro has a weak storm to our south. Surface reflection actually seems close to GFS. Just not much precip. I’m guessing upper level support is just weaker on Euro.