joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

23 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Wow that was a nice GFS run! 

That is an understatement ...

18 hours at storm maturation quintessentially timed for maximization of impact by positioning when it cuts off crawls a departure...  Storm force pulverizing winds bearing some 3 to 5" of liq equiv QPF with temperatures falling through the mid 20s would probably be the biggest storm (including these recent 20"ers ...) to impact in well over 20 years. 

D9 on any 18z GFS run isn't exactly inspiring much more than interesting curiosity ... no.  But the GEFs derivatives have a PNA spike in that time range ...even though every other index plausibly teleconnected to our area of the hemisphere is July looking ... it is what it is...

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

18 hours at storm maturation quintessentially timed for maximization of impact by positioning when it cuts off crawls a departure...  Storm force pulverizing winds bearing some 3 to 5" of liq equiv QPF with temperatures falling through the mid 20s would probably be the biggest storm (including these recent 20"ers ...) to impact in well over 20 years. 

D9 on any 18z GFS run isn't exactly inspiring much more than interesting curiosity ... no.  But the GEFs derivatives have a PNA spike in that time range ...even though every other index plausibly teleconnected to our area of the hemisphere is July looking ... it is what it is...

You know what they say...the biggest ones shine a bit brighter out in the distance...lol...

j/k,  but that would be a real nice treat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No more so than the curiosity on this latest hope we have all been following for several days now since D9, lol.

1 minute ago, Hazey said:

I think this system has been flatlined for a little while now. A few weenies are still standing around the corpse waiting for it to jump up. Don’t think this storm will pull a Lazarus.

Meh. Plenty of pros saying this aint dead. There was a day once some time ago where looking at op runs outside of d5 was laughed at....now we cancel storms outside d5. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Meh. Plenty of pros saying this aint dead. There was a day once some time ago where looking at op runs outside of d5 was laughed at....now we cancel storms outside d5. 

Yeah I'm amazed at the amount of certainty being thrown around with this. There's no doubt it is an uphill climb but we've seen much much worse setups than this closer to the event turn for the better on the models and give us a storm. 

I still think the key to this storm coming north is getting the southern stream further north initially rather than hoping the confluence will weaken to the point of very little resistance....the AFD that metfan (snow88) posted actually talks about it. We will want to see some earlier phasing and that will really drive the downstream ridging and help push the entire height field north. 

The reason we still have hope is because some of the models are actually showing the phasing and the northern stream shortwave that phases in looks pretty strong. It isn't even onshore until tomorrow night as I mentioned in an earlier post. So there's definitely room for big changes. 

I wouldn't be forecasting snow for us or anything, but I am not dismissing this as an automatic miss with this much lead time given what is still out there upstream. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

By day 4 its obvious what will transpire by day 6. Also ENS are in step.9

I guess it’s only obvious to you and DT. All the other pros and vets I’ve heard and seen don’t think it’s that obvious. I will call you my daddy rest of winter is nothing changes from euro/eps from get go like 4 days ago or whatever the number is.

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

But this is 5 days out, not 2??  I don’t understand your post Ginx?

The upper air features that are in place day 4 determine what will transpire what will happen day 6. So unless we see a huge shift north pretty soon its going to take a big across the board model failure. I find it hard to bet that the EPS Euro have day 4 features especially the strong confluence features 200 miles off. It can and has happened before but I tend to be extremely skeptical of outlier solutions when the Euro and EPS lock in like they have.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I guess it’s only obvious to you and DT. All the other pros and vets I’ve heard and seen don’t think it’s that obvious. I will call you my daddy rest of winter is nothing changes from euro/eps from get go like 4 days ago or whatever the number is.

I already have 8 kids, don't need another one. You are free to believe whatever your sweet little heart desires.  I have read many Mets who have moved on.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

#takeastandwiththestormtrack

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

If this was the Euro from before the upgrade...I’d definitely give it much more consideration than now.  

That model is NOT the same model it was.  And when it does “lock in” which is more rarely now...it’s wrong many times...so that doesn’t carry the weight it used to imo.  

Did you sleep through last winters majors, rain or snow?