Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

48 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Sensible weather wise -- no changes from my initial post on Nov. 23 which postulated the retraction/reset period in Dec 10th-16th, and thereupon, rearrangement of features with a rapidly improving hemispheric regime shortly after the mid month point +/- three days. I maintain that notion. The week period of December 12th-18th will likely feature warmer than normal temperatures; however, heights should neutralize in the East by the 17th-18th already, with normalizing temperatures. The retrogression of the GOAK trough will be occurring concomitantly in the December 14th-18th period, and as we approach the 20th, all disparate domains will be increasing in favorability (e.g., PNA, NAM, NAO), such that the final third of December is interesting winter weather wise.

The 9th period remains a distinct threat as well, as originally noted on the 23rd to monitor the 7th-11th period.

As an aside, a displacement event favors North America (compared to Europe) for "winter" weather, and even if the SPV is displaced away from the continent, that does not implicate "all the cold air" will be taken with it. Quite the contrary, actually, as the geopotential height structure would be conducive for tropospheric, high-latitude blocking.

Did Tippy write the for you?

What will suck, is if we whiff on two events that could have produced(Wed and the upcoming one that right now looks to whiff at the moment).     Yes Jan 16 was a whiff like this right along too, and then it gave a pretty decent event to CT and RI and SE Mass..ofcourse not the Blockbuster it was in NYC and south, but significant for sure.   Be nice if this one late Wknd/early next week can muster a lil something for SNE??   

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What will suck, is if we whiff on two events that could have produced(Wed and the upcoming one that right now looks to whiff at the moment).     Yes Jan 16 was a whiff like this right along too, and then it gave a pretty decent event to CT and RI and SE Mass..ofcourse not the Blockbuster it was in NYC and south, but significant for sure.   Be nice if this one late Wknd/early next week can muster a lil something for SNE??   

One huge difference.  December you’re playing with house $$.  Odds still are much lower vs January 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Mid December climo is not exactly snowy. So, I’m not sure having warm anomalies is something to cheer for. Lots of Pacific air needs to be removed first. I still think 12/25 and especially after is where we can finally flush the garbage out and get something better.

Scott, others, don't want to get off topic, Jan-Feb 2015, we were getting slammed etc, was that an El Nino year? I just can't remember how December 2014 started off etc. Thanks ahead of time 

1 minute ago, 512high said:

Scott, others, don't want to get off topic, Jan-Feb 2015, we were getting slammed etc, was that an El Nino year? I just can't remember how December 2014 started off etc. Thanks ahead of time 

December was ridiculously warm with little or no snow.  January started getting cold mid month and the rest is history.  Weak nino 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 512high said:

Verbatim is was warm neutral, but behaved like an El Niño for a time. I don’t get too caught where and what the anomalies are, I want to see how the atmosphere is responding. Looks like we are getting a typical December response before some forcing causes the low near AK to retrograde to a more favorable position later this month, and maybe some blocking as well.

• Like 2

Interior can do well with slightly above average temps...just look at December 2002 after the 10th...so the stuff near the end of the euro run isn't terrible. Definitely tougher for the coast. 

We'll see how it looks though as we get closer. 

• Like 1