Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/21-11/22 Cold/snow shower obs

ORH_wxman

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice time for CON to die...on a record breaking cold day on Thanksgiving. We can throw more “missings” into the climo data now.

I noticed that.  Isn't there a backup at the ASOS?  (Obviously not).....Something that someone can manually retrieve?  So many recording thermometers that could be calibrated to within a degree or so.  Much better than having no data on a potential record-breaking day?  

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I noticed that.  Isn't there a backup at the ASOS?  (Obviously not).....Something that someone can manually retrieve?  So many recording thermometers that could be calibrated to within a degree or so.  Much better than having no data on a potential record-breaking day?  

Maybe GYX can estimate it, but I hate estimating records. A rare estimate on a near climo day is nbd as the day will easily be forgotten and blend in with the monthly averages, but estimating broken records suck.

• Thanks 1

ORH is 13F at 1pm. High so far today was 16F at midnight. So pretty safe that the all time monthly low max will be set...current record is 20F. So it needs to rise 7F in the next hour or two before we start descending again. In the words of Scooter...ain't happening James. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

He might not express it well but I am sure you of all people know how badly the forests are managed especially out west. Environmental groups stopping prescribed burns, no thinning of the forests etc etc.. Man occupies places which burned out every decade or so, you have to manage the risk. Look at the Camp fire, 90% of trees were basically unaffected it was the human structures which burned. I am not going get into politics but these sound bites aren't the real story. We need to balance this all out if we want to live in the forest. 

All true, though raking leaves ain't gonna help.  :P
Thinning the "fire type" forests won't necessarily prevent all catastrophic wildfires, but not thinning (and not allowing "cool burns") guarantees them.  I'm very glad the grandkids live west of the Jersey pine barrens, where nearly 200,000 acres burned on one April day 55 years ago.  There's not been any really big fires there since then, and there are thousands more homes amid the pines than back then.  Once a fire crowns in that stuff, no human effort will stop it - the 1963 fire easily jumped the 100-yard firebreak known as the Garden State Parkway.  (The 1947 Kennebunkport fire torched an island 3/4 mile offshore.  Didn't reach France, however.) 

Still low teens here, winds gusting to about 30 - couple of house creaks, which is my gauge for hitting 30.  Today's mean should be on the cool side of 25° BN.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH is 13F at 1pm. High so far today was 16F at midnight. So pretty safe that the all time monthly low max will be set...current record is 20F. So it needs to rise 7F in the next hour or two before we start descending again. In the words of Scooter...ain't happening James. 

ORH is one of the coldest locations right now in the SNE MA/CT/RI area, the only ASOS i could find lower was PSF at 12F. That's really incredible for a November afternoon. 

All CT stations are already in the 20s, NWS highs are already busting too low

18 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

ORH is one of the coldest locations right now in the SNE MA/CT/RI area, the only ASOS i could find lower was PSF at 12F. That's really incredible for a November afternoon. 

All CT stations are already in the 20s, NWS highs are already busting too low

But we’re still gonna break the record...22 here.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

All true, though raking leaves ain't gonna help.  :P
Thinning the "fire type" forests won't necessarily prevent all catastrophic wildfires, but not thinning (and not allowing "cool burns") guarantees them.  I'm very glad the grandkids live west of the Jersey pine barrens, where nearly 200,000 acres burned on one April day 55 years ago.  There's not been any really big fires there since then, and there are thousands more homes amid the pines than back then.  Once a fire crowns in that stuff, no human effort will stop it - the 1963 fire easily jumped the 100-yard firebreak known as the Garden State Parkway.  (The 1947 Kennebunkport fire torched an island 3/4 mile offshore.  Didn't reach France, however.) 

Still low teens here, winds gusting to about 30 - couple of house creaks, which is my gauge for hitting 30.  Today's mean should be on the cool side of 25° BN.

When I was in college taking a Forestry class we went to the RI burn fire in 1930. I think it went from West Greenwich to Richmond in 45 minutes. 35 K acres burned. Since then the forest has moved back in among the houses.

45 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

When I was in college taking a Forestry class we went to the RI burn fire in 1930. I think it went from West Greenwich to Richmond in 45 minutes. 35 K acres burned. Since then the forest has moved back in among the houses.

Any info bout that fire available.  That’s insane for RI

...THE CONCORD NH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR NOVEMBER 22 2018...
VALID TODAY AS OF 0400 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1868 TO 2018

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
 TODAY
  MAXIMUM         MM        MM  72    1931  46     MM       41
  MINIMUM         MM        MM   5    1972  27     MM       29
  AVERAGE         MM                        36     MM       35

48 minutes ago, dendrite said:

...THE CONCORD NH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR NOVEMBER 22 2018...
VALID TODAY AS OF 0400 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1868 TO 2018

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
 TODAY
  MAXIMUM         MM        MM  72    1931  46     MM       41
  MINIMUM         MM        MM   5    1972  27     MM       29
  AVERAGE         MM                        36     MM       35

Ekster all over this.

.EQUIPMENT...
The Concord ASOS (KCON) is experiencing a technical problems so
therefore we won`t have observations through at least Friday
morning when the issue is expected to be remedied.