Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/21-11/22 Cold/snow shower obs

ORH_wxman

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Vortex is down, but I only saw about 40 on the 3km NAM on COD.

Saw a 60 at 6 z, awesome event for November, peeps have to respect the time of year. Squall came through here with a tree swaying gust brief zero visibility, about 1/4 . Congrats to all you CNNE peeps on a very white Thanksgiving. Very jelly

Had 25-30dbz here briefly but it just isn't deep enough lift and didn't last long enough. Impressive for 5-10 min and got a  solid coating. 

I think was pretty much at expectations. NNE got the real goods...we got some lesser stuff down here. Better than nada though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

It's the same as a thunderstorm in e SNE. They rarely work out. It's location. 

It’s not that. The parameters were better north. This is what I expected. A few towns do well relatively speaking. Most see SHSN and a coating. I don’t see how that’s a Debbie. A Debbie is whineminster and MPm.

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Had 25-30dbz here briefly but it just isn't deep enough lift and didn't last long enough. Impressive for 5-10 min and got a  solid coating. 

I think was pretty much at expectations. NNE got the real goods...we got some lesser stuff down here. Better than nada though. 

Was impressive in spots as all Windex events tend  to be. Don’t know what Scooters posts are about.

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kind of tough...here's what I found. Some of this is hard to verify.

Criteria for the National Weather Service to issue a Snow squall warning include:

• Visibility of less that one quarter of a mile
  • Sub-freezing temperatures on the ground
  • Expected to last in one area less than 60 minutes
  • Cause dangerous and life-threatening conditions[4]

The visibility readings are tough but I can say it was under 1/4sm at the ski area, haha.

The sub-freezing temps and last less than 60 minutes could be applied to any passing snow shower.  Dangerous and life-threatening driving conditions... I mean all it takes is one accident in even a snow shower to be life threatening if it happens a certain way.

Today was had a couple accidents on the access road leading up to the ski area in the near zero visibility that dropped 3-4" of snow (1,500ft, at home we got about 2" at 750ft). 

Does just an accident lead to verifying dangerous driving conditions?  Hard to say.

It seems more like a beefed up version of a Special Weather Statement.

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Was impressive in spots as all Windex events tend  to be. Don’t know what Scooters posts are about.

Maybe y'all are talkin past each other. Not sure. Pretty clear though that we were missing a little bit in SNE for a high end windex. I think the results support that. We had great lapse rates to try and offset it so we saw the snow showers and few squalls try and maintain a bit but pretty much everyone had trouble getting more than A coating to half an inch. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe y'all are talkin past each other. Not sure. Pretty clear though that we were missing a little bit in SNE for a high end windex. I think the results support that. We had great lapse rates to try and offset it so we saw the snow showers and few squalls try and maintain a bit but pretty much everyone had trouble getting more than A coating to half an inch. 

I don’t understand how I wasn’t clear about that. :lol: 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s a fraud. Once in a while it works out in a community or two. 

Locally in SNE, or even in NNE downwind of the mountains... it certainly isn't something that may really raise your eyebrows.  I never really had appreciation for squalls until being somewhere where squalls mean something.  Growing up in Albany, getting a dying lake effect squall down the Mohawk Valley into the area to drop a quick 1" or something was only like a once a winter ordeal.

Up here a squall day is pretty much the equivalent of a nice advisory event in SNE.  You know, it's enough to get excited about because it's almost more reliable than a synoptic storm.  The mountains are going to cause lift which is going to make it snow.  SW flow ahead of a cold front will pool low level moisture off the Great Lakes ahead of the FROPA...and the low level convergence, plus orographic forcing, acting on that pooled low level moisture out of the St Lawrence and Champlain Valleys... it's like you guys seeing a closed H7 low go underneath SNE.  You know it'll get exciting for a little bit even if not a big dog.

There was 3-4" on the ground when I left after dark at 5:30pm.  This photo was from about halfway through earlier this afternoon.

They are decent events up here...but totally get the lackluster expectations and views further SE.

sc0NTa2.jpg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not that. The parameters were better north. This is what I expected. A few towns do well relatively speaking. Most see SHSN and a coating. I don’t see how that’s a Debbie. A Debbie is whineminster and MPm.

This is literally the same conversation we have with 9/10 events that involve convective stuff. Whether it's rain or snow. Better dynamics north and west, better lapse rates etc, or things dry out as it unfolds. Timing near the same too. I think location definitely has something to do with it compared to even Tolland. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

This is literally the same conversation we have with 9/10 events that involve convective stuff. Whether it's rain or snow. Better dynamics north and west, better lapse rates etc, or things dry out as it unfolds. Timing near the same too. I think location definitely has something to do with it compared to even Tolland. 

Kev , Met Herb , Joey need to post pics, Tolland County got rocked

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Locally in SNE, or even in NNE downwind of the mountains... it certainly isn't something that may really raise your eyebrows.  I never really had appreciation for squalls until being somewhere where squalls mean something.  Growing up in Albany, getting a dying lake effect squall down the Mohawk Valley into the area to drop a quick 1" or something was only like a once a winter ordeal.

Up here a squall day is pretty much the equivalent of a nice advisory event in SNE.  You know, it's enough to get excited about because it's almost more reliable than a synoptic storm.  The mountains are going to cause lift which is going to make it snow.  SW flow ahead of a cold front will pool low level moisture off the Great Lakes ahead of the FROPA...and the low level convergence, plus orographic forcing, acting on that pooled low level moisture out of the St Lawrence and Champlain Valleys... it's like you guys seeing a closed H7 low go underneath SNE.  You know it'll get exciting for a little bit even if not a big dog.

There was 3-4" on the ground when I left after dark at 5:30pm.  This photo was from about halfway through earlier this afternoon.

They are decent events up here...but totally get the lackluster expectations and views further SE.

sc0NTa2.jpg

Nice shot. Of course it’s a different world there. Everyone enjoys their own little mesoscale niche and phenomenon. I would cherish that twenty ways from Tuesday if I were there. It’s a fascinating feature...especially those Ontario streamers that light up over the spine. 

12 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Nah this is different. If the same setup were south SNE would have done well.