Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looking at the ensembles on TT and they have some promise for the Dec 8-10 time frame. WEatherbell is starting to throw out panels now so should get a better idea when post day 10 comes up.

I like the Dec 7-10 window before we go back into full panic mode

• Haha 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

I dunno.  Day 10 on the Euro looks like a fat Lakes Cutter.   Hopefully the Ensembles are vastly different.  

That’s how it looks to me.  I’m just looking for the existence of a storm then. Also the euro can sometimes blow those up into cutters but reality ends up different.

9 minutes ago, Ji said:

I like the Dec 7-10 window before we go back into full panic mode

Can't figure out the panic to be honest with you. We are still in November, 2-3 weeks before I consider legitimate winter and many already have snow under their belt with some substantially so. Granted the PAC goes to hell but I feel that will be shortly lived and there are already signs showing up on the models that will be the case. We will probably be back to a favorable PAC before/by Christmas. 

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Can't figure out the panic to be honest with you. We are still in November, 2-3 weeks before I consider legitimate winter and many already have snow under their belt with some substantially so. Granted the PAC goes to hell but I feel that will be shortly lived and there are already signs showing up on the models that will be the case. We will probably be back to a favorable PAC before Christmas. 

The biggest problem I’ve seen so far.....way too many weenies came out of hibernation way too soon!  Now everyone is all Polar Vortex perturbed and whatnot. We need to relax.  Maybe if we all got together for a Friendsgiving...in two weeks...at Chills house? I know I’d feel better...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's really bad. Basically a complete evacuation of cold air across the continent... especially western Canada. A pac onslaught of epic proportions. 

If it were to happen like that it would take a lot of work before winter returns. 

It certainly aint pretty.

OTOH, before we potentially get to that mess, here we go with 18z GFS @ hr 264..has a suppressed event, after the 12z run had a similar look for that time frame(Dec 9th). Right where we want it. Snow in southern NC? lol. This is probs the best window of opportunity before everything potentially goes to shiit for awhile.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's really bad. Basically a complete evacuation of cold air across the continent... especially western Canada. A pac onslaught of epic proportions. 

If it were to happen like that it would take a lot of work before winter returns. 

How much work? Like a month? (And wouldn't that be like...a record or something if that were to verify? And how often do we see this in a Niño?) That ain't bad enough to ruin the winter, is it? Lol (and why in the world is the PAC modeled to be so hostile?)

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It certainly aint pretty.

OTOH, before we potentially get to that mess, here we go with 18z GFS @ hr 264..has a suppressed event, after the 12z run had a similar look for that time frame(Dec 9th). Right where we want it. Snow in southern NC? lol. This is probs the best window of opportunity before everything potentially goes to shiit for awhile.

Which is gonna make it a little nerve-wracking to track knowing that if we miss there's no telling when the next opportunity will be...

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

How much work? Like a month? (And wouldn't that be like...a record or something if that were to verify? And how often do we see this in a Niño?) That ain't bad enough to ruin the winter, is it? Lol

I'm still not sold its going to happen in the first place so I won't put the cart before the horse and even begin to guess how long a strong +EPO that hasn't formed yet will last. 

Hypothetically it could last a week or a month or most of winter. Until it becomes a fixture in real time I'm assuming (like everyone else) that it's either not going happen as shown or be pretty short lived.

Our area doesn't typically get going for winter wx until after Christmas in the vast majority of years so I won't get concerned about a dud until mid Jan at the earliest. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Throwing a lit match into the simmering powder keg of panic. Guess we found our new Reaper. :lol:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I hope it doesn’t play out like this.  It’s not fun to burn through December.  Not very 2009-ish.  But it’s still November so panic is at a low level.  Next runs can erase this.  

We completely "waste" Dec most of the time. Its the normal here. 2009 was epic and very uncommon. Its not going to happen this year. Not even close. I would gladly take a 3-5" event for Dec and be totally happy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We completely "waste" Dec most of the time. Its the normal here. 2009 was epic and very uncommon. Its not going to happen this year. Not even close. I would gladly take a 3-5" event for Dec and be totally happy.

Perhaps.  Of course we don’t know that.  It can turn on a dime and we could luck into a decent event.  We’ll know on 31 Dec how it played out

26 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

GEFS very bullish for a storm running the coast Dec 7-9. Hopefully we can score something during this time frame. We may be waiting for a while after that. Lol 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_45.png

Yea, was just going to post that 18z ens members upped the ante again. It's a tricky setup with high pressure to the west instead of north but it's a reinforcing shot so the antecedent airmass will prob be decent. 

If we can score even an advisory level event before things potentially make a turn for the worse it will make it a lot easier to deal with a crappy pattern. I like seeing the gefs and eps slowly warming up to the idea as the days go by. We'll prob get a nice op run in the next day or 2.... or 0z tonight. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic