Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Pretty incredible that the long range models were so wrong about this pattern, it's 60 degrees! The -PNA 11-15 day still looks suspect. 

By and large the PV is not established. The burp of cold air on thanksgiving didn't help. All of that was washed out over the North Atlantic. Classic land-ocean contrast.

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Certainly not the best day 15 look, especially the PAC(ouch). But then again, it is a day 15 mean, and it would only be Dec 10. Some hints over the past couple runs of heights building over GL.

@Bob Chill- Just 2 weeks beyond this we should be golden, and right when climo becomes rapidly less hostile.

eps_z500a_nh_61.thumb.png.f6c8a0285cd8a482d741336706837822.png

It seems to be moving forward in time though which is a good thing. It means less likely to happen a hostile Pac that is. 

5 hours ago, Scud said:

12z data, it seems the possibility of Friday snow is past. Now it is time to talk about rain. All rain, all the time.

I am actually fine with that. Keep the wet pattern going. Climo temps will be coming in Jan/Feb. Just keep the storm train rolling through then. Even cutters into a cold enough CAD can be decent for our area.

• Like 2

Hopefully the 18z is correct in the sense that we have weak to mod systems that slowly drag a boundary south.  Didnt work out this run but pressing cold with systems running a slowly sagging boundary can work out if timed correctly...maybe our best hope for the upcoming 2 weeks...

50 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Rip and read means your forecast or analysis changes daily. I can't wait to see what tomorrow's ensembles show

All the variations = the same outcome. Not ripe and not a disaster. Flow is loaded with shortwaves so anything interesting prob won't show up until the med range. Not expecting much personally but at least it will feel like early winter more often than not. We've had quite a bit of December warmth since 2014. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Hopefully the 18z is correct in the sense that we have weak to mod systems that slowly drag a boundary south.  Didnt work out this run but pressing cold with systems running a slowly sagging boundary can work out if timed correctly...maybe our best hope for the upcoming 2 weeks...

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

All the variations = the same outcome. Not ripe and not a disaster. Flow is loaded with shortwaves so anything interesting prob won't show up until the med range. Not expecting much personally but at least it will feel like early winter more often than not. We've had quite a bit of December warmth since 2014. 

Yup.  Keep dragging the baroclinic zone south and hopefully we can time a wave.  Still think it's possible.  Good ensemble and Op support for a cold outbreak around the 5th and beyond.  I'd also refer people to HM's tweets this afternoon/evening about the strat PV continuing to get beat up and models underdoing the -EPO ridge.  Given the Nino base state and the GoA warm pool, I would doubt any trough there gets too comfortable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Yup.  Keep dragging the baroclinic zone south and hopefully we can time a wave.  Still think it's possible.  Good ensemble and Op support for a cold outbreak around the 5th and beyond.  I'd also refer people to HM's tweets this afternoon/evening about the strat PV continuing to get beat up and models underdoing the -EPO ridge.  Given the Nino base state and the GoA warm pool, I would doubt any trough there gets too comfortable.

It's pretty amazing how well the models pick up on losing the Aleutian trough when they predict the MJO losing amplitude and heading for the COD.  Not that they are correct on either...but, as we head deeper into winter the COD should represent a typical modokiish nino pattern I would think....8-1-2 represent a magnified version.  Relaxes more brief and dulled than advertised 12+ days out..

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

The repeating cold shot cycle is very encouraging. As long as that keeps up we'll probably just stumble into an event of some sort without needing the planets to align.  Even though it's not snowing every 48 hours it does look like the first half of Dec will be the best we've had in the temp dept since 2013. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Fridays possible little system seemed dead but going thru Eps members...they all of of sudden have a sizable uptick in the snowfall for that time period.  Eps wanted absolutely nothing to do with this potential till now. Now...we r not talking anything mod to big but a nice big  cluster has 1/2" - to as much as 2" . And the  mean up to 1/2" for north of i70. Surface temps look to be marginal and probably stale cold air but maby  we can at least resurrect some snow TV or some mixed precip out of this . 

Was there any uptick of snow for 12/5-6?

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Fridays possible little system seemed dead but going thru Eps members...they all of of sudden have a sizable uptick in the snowfall for that time period.  Eps wanted absolutely nothing to do with this potential till now. Now...we r not talking anything mod to big but a nice big  cluster has 1/2" - to as much as 2" . And the  mean up to 1/2" for north of i70. Surface temps look to be marginal and probably stale cold air but maby  we can at least resurrect some snow TV or some mixed precip out of this . 

The end of the run of the eps looks very promising too.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic